Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Computer Pro Needed

Computer Pro Needed

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Computer Pro Needed

Postby Hatori » Fri 11.23.2007 8:50 pm

Hello. Okay, I KNOW this is a community to talk about Japan and whatnot, but this is the offtopic section...
Since mid-September my computer keeps on randomly logging off of the internet. Many of you know that I've probably mentioned having the horrid thing called dial-up. I've been doing research about how I can fix this problem for quite a while and I have finally found out something.
I found out that my phone line usually makes the dial-up log off because of the weak connection. Sometimes right after the internet logs off on me, the phone rings right after. When I'm online at midnight, there's no phonecalls, and the internet is able to stay online for extended periods of time. On occasion, it logs off, though.
I really do not know what to do next now that I've figured this out. And NO:
I cannot get a new internet service or something better. My dad REFUSES to by something more than $10 a month. WTF?!
I was just wondering if anybody has any ideas or suggestions. I've been trying to download anti-virus software trials, but the internet logs off in the middle of downloading. Thus, I cannot get better software. And on top of that... My father again REFUSES to buy something that I need. So, it's totally up to me (without any help from my brother) to get info and buy those programs worth $50+.
I've checked my internet's help section and all I found out is that the incoming calls are messing everything up.
Please, give me as much computer wisdom I can get!
Thanks for reading. :) Geez, this turned into a semi-rant too. :|
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

RE: Computer Pro Needed

Postby HeyItsMatt » Fri 11.23.2007 9:12 pm

Well, if you're asking why your internet logs off, I think that dial-up uses the phone line in order to connect to the internet, so that if someone makes a phone call to you, it disconnects your internet connection... basically what you already found out. When I had dial-up, I seem to remember there wasn't really any way to prevent that from happening, other than not getting phone calls.

Do your parents do anything involving the internet? If they do, perhaps you can use that to pitch the cable idea to them. Also, tell them that your academic studies would be improved if you had a more reliable and fast internet connection (even better if this is actually true!). If you don't have any anti-virus software on your computer and you're using Windows, you should definitely get some - if your dial-up connection is so slow that you're unable to do that, you could point out to them that upgrading to cable would let you download free anti-virus software, whereas you might otherwise have to pay quite a bit for a commercial anti-virus package. Paying for cable would still be more expensive over time, but it's a point to make, I guess.
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby Xaith » Fri 11.23.2007 9:22 pm

I don't know if this relates to your problem, I don't really know much about dial-up. It seems plausible though; so here is a link that I found with a quick search:

http://www.computerfreetips.com/interne ... l_net.html

If it still doesn't work out, and if you live in a neighborhood, you could always leech wireless from a neighbor until you can get something better.

Avast! Anti-virus is free and if you have trouble downloading it, you could download something like Free Download Manager. Download managers can usually download files in part so even if you lose connection the DL will resume when you reconnect and they aren't large files themselves so it shouldn't be hard to DL one.

If you don't already have one, then I also recommend you DL Spybot Search & Destroy or Adaware, or both.
Last edited by Xaith on Fri 11.23.2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arrrr?
Xaith

Postby Hatori » Fri 11.23.2007 9:49 pm

Xaith- You're my hero. I had test runs with my friends calling me and my internet does not shut down. Thank you so much. :D

Now my next problem to approach:
Internet on the Wii. :) If anybody has any idea of how I can get internet on my Wii, please post it. I KNOW it's possible, but it seems nearly impossible. B)
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Chris Hart » Fri 11.23.2007 10:20 pm

If you are stuck with dialup, and aren't having an issue of CALL WAITING, you might want to concider these devices. They will prevent other phones from being picked up while the phone is in use. They also will make phone calls private by making what ever phone picked up be stuck with the call. You use them at each phone. Note that this is just the first link I found, you may be able to find others.
Last edited by Chris Hart on Fri 11.23.2007 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby Xaith » Fri 11.23.2007 10:26 pm

Here is a video and text guide for connecting Wii to dial-up via wireless.
I can't really vouch for them because I haven't tried them myself, but they look legit enough to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOZOpl5Qqbk
http://nickjuly4.googlepages.com/dialupwifi_wii.html
Arrrr?
Xaith

Postby Hatori » Thu 12.06.2007 6:45 pm

I need help- again.
I finally figured out to change my numbers for real to get the call waiting...But when I changed it, the internet wouldn't log on saying I need to dial a 0 or a 1... Or just said it wouldn't work. Now I'm losing faith. I really don't understand why my internet in the first place randomly logged off while it didn't before.
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Gaddo » Thu 12.06.2007 7:33 pm

Hatori wrote:
Xaith- You're my hero. I had test runs with my friends calling me and my internet does not shut down. Thank you so much. :D

Now my next problem to approach:
Internet on the Wii. :) If anybody has any idea of how I can get internet on my Wii, please post it. I KNOW it's possible, but it seems nearly impossible. B)

for Internet on Wii, you need to have wifi as part of your internet plan thing. Or what you can do is buy the little USB thing that's sold by nintendo for around 30$ to connect your ds/wii to wifi.
Gaddo

Return to General off topic