Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Should I know hiragana before I use Genki?

Should I know hiragana before I use Genki?

Discussions for those using the Genki Textbook series

Should I know hiragana before I use Genki?

Postby HarajukuxBoy » Sat 11.24.2007 10:57 pm

Um..Lately I've been studying hiragana,and I have half of them memorized.But I wanted to know,should I know hiragana before I start using the Genki I textbook(which I ordered today,so it should arrived within a few days)?Becuase if the first few lessons present kanji,I definately want to know hiragana before I start learning kanji.
~ありがとう!
HarajukuxBoy

RE: Should I know hiragana before I use Genki?

Postby Noob » Sun 11.25.2007 12:10 am

If you are learning Kanji, before you have mastered Hirogana, and Katakana, you are doing it wrong. Think of hirogana as the glue that holds kanji together in a sentence. and think of the name of that glue as スパグゥ。
Noob

Postby Ichigo19 » Sun 11.25.2007 12:19 am

You should definitely know hiragana before you start Genki. It would probably be best that you know both hiragana and katakana to a very well degree before starting the textbook but would not be absolutely required. You won't start kanji until Chapter 3. Chapters 1&2 have romaji under the hiragana/katakana characters so if you forget one you will know what it says. I would recommend that you know both of them before starting it. If you have trouble remembering them or once you are doing katakana you may get confused between a certain 4 similar looking characters, you could try a game called slime forest which got me past that confusion. so in short, try to get to know them both as much as possible before you start the book. It'll be easier that way. once you get to Chapter 3 there is no romaji anymore (which is a good thing) and you'll start having to do kanji from that point which if you're doing kanji you should definitely know your hiragana&katakana.
私がいちごです。女じゃありません。いちごの名前がアニメの名前じゃありません。
Ichigo19

Postby HarajukuxBoy » Sun 11.25.2007 4:43 pm

thanks alot.Ya Im like kalf way through hiragana.But yeah,Ive tried to download slime forest and it worked,I just got confused using it and didn't know what to do(lol).Do you recommend any other kana study methods?What I have been doing is,writing them down over and over again and saying them as I writing them.It works,but I want to learn both hiragana and katakana in the next 4 days(that's my goal).
HarajukuxBoy

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 11.25.2007 4:47 pm

The first two chapters of Genki should give you enough practice to build your skill in the kana as you go. Don't feel like you have to completely master kana before you even go to page 1 of Genki.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Ichigo19 » Sun 11.25.2007 5:41 pm

As Yudan said you don't have to completely master the kana before using genki but you should have a decent ability with them. You won't be able to master them fully until you're using them all the time. As for other kana study methods...there is a free program you can download from here, just go to obviously the downloads section its called learn kana and you can practice different sets of the kana for either hiragana or katakana. It's pretty good. Other than slime forest and that program all I did was write them over and over saying them as I wrote them.
私がいちごです。女じゃありません。いちごの名前がアニメの名前じゃありません。
Ichigo19

Postby HarajukuxBoy » Mon 11.26.2007 5:58 pm

Thanks for ya'll time!
HarajukuxBoy

Return to Genki Textbook