Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Conversation Practice

Conversation Practice

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

RE: Conversation Practice

Postby CajunCoder » Thu 09.29.2005 2:53 am

Thank you all for the replies and help =p

Well, I am learning hiragana and be able to read it well soon. But, since I have only been studying for about a week, studying in anything other than romaji is almost impossible... Its quite challenging to learn to read a language you can't even speak yet =P

Also, I find hiragana to be very hard to read for other reasons... So many words are run together with no spacing, and (especially in these small fonts) it can be very easy to mistake simular letters.

I do see your point, though. I'd like (and plan) to be able to read at least hiragana, katakana and some basic kanji fluently.

Of curiosity... In things such as video games, how much kanji is used? I'm a very big gamer, and when I get fluent enough it would be great to play some games in japanese. Granted, this is probably very ambitious =P I would imagine since game developers would want to be targeting a wide audiance, they would use more hiragana and only basic kanji. I read somewhere, however, that to read a japanese newspaper you'd have to know at about 2200 kanji... If the same goes for games, that would be quite discouraging =P

Anyway, back on topic...

*Thinks hard of something to say*

Alright... I'm attempting to say "Thank you for correcting my japanese"
My first attempt:
Arigato ni watashi no nihongo wa tadashii.
My second attempt:
Arigato ni watashi no nihongo o tamemasu.

I think I used "ni" wrong in both cases... but I'm not sure how to show that relation correctly. "Tadashii" I saw you use as the word "correct"... but that doesnt appear to be a verb, so I was unsure how to use it. In the second, I used "Tameru", which I found in a dictionary for the translation "to correct".

Moshi watashi ni nihon o suru(/shimasu), sukimashita.
(can suki be conjugated that way, even?)
Alternatively, maybe...
"Moshi(-mo) Watashi ni nihon o suru(/shimasu) suki"

My attempt at saying "I would like to live in japan".

All together in hiragana (though this probably makes little or no sense :P):

ありがとに わたしのにほんご を ためます。
もし わたしに にほんを する すき。
(or maybe "すき もし わたしに にほんを する。"?)
Last edited by CajunCoder on Thu 09.29.2005 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 09.29.2005 5:07 am

I stay away for a day, and all sorts of interesting things pop up. =)

CajunCoder wrote:
Well, I am learning hiragana and be able to read it well soon. But, since I have only been studying for about a week, studying in anything other than romaji is almost impossible... Its quite challenging to learn to read a language you can't even speak yet =P

For someone who's only been studying a week, you're doing very well! don't get discouraged!

CajunCoder wrote:
So many words are run together with no spacing, and (especially in these small fonts) it can be very easy to mistake simular letters.

When hiragana is written for children, there are usually spaces between words, but for foreigners, there is no decided way to split up the words, so it is often hard to read long sentences. The small font problem is an issue with people viewing this site on English computers, when I view the site at work, the japanese characters are double size, and are very easy to read. I'm still looking as to how to fix it on my home computer.

CajunCoder wrote:
Of curiosity... In things such as video games, how much kanji is used? I'm a very big gamer, and when I get fluent enough it would be great to play some games in japanese.

Really, it depends on the game. Zelda had furigana (pronunciation guides) for all the kanji, as did Paper Mario RPG. Ninja Gaiden, and some of my other games do not, and you need to be able to read over 2000 kanji to completely understand some games. (playing splinter cell is worse than watching the news) :@

CajunCoder wrote:
Alright... I'm attempting to say "Thank you for correcting my japanese"
My first attempt:
Arigato ni watashi no nihongo wa tadashii.
My second attempt:
Arigato ni watashi no nihongo o tamemasu.

The thank you for doing something is actually a tad advanced. The way you say that is 〜してくれてありがとう literally, thank you for doing X for me.

so it would be わたしの にほんごを なおしてくれてありがとう。 where なおして is the て form of なおす、 which means to correct. If you want to use ただしい, you could say ただしくしてくれてありがとう, but it sounds kinda strange.

CajunCoder wrote:
In the second, I used "Tameru", which I found in a dictionary for the translation "to correct".

ためる means to pile up, while 矯める to set someone straight, which I think is the meaning you found. It's a bit different from correct in the sense you want to use it.

CajunCoder wrote:
Moshi watashi ni nihon o suru(/shimasu), sukimashita.
(can suki be conjugated that way, even?)
Alternatively, maybe...
"Moshi(-mo) Watashi ni nihon o suru(/shimasu) suki"

My attempt at saying "I would like to live in japan".

I'm not quite sure about why you're using もし、which means "if." Expressing desire, again, is a tad advanced, but is handled through 〜したい
also, when you say you want to live somewhere, the に particle is used. And, as always, as you are the topic, は should be used after わたし.

The correct way would be
わたしは にほんに すみたい。
where すむ is the verb to live, and すみたい is the conjugation for expressing desire.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Ongakuka » Thu 09.29.2005 6:06 am

CajunCoder wrote:
Of curiosity... In things such as video games, how much kanji is used? I'm a very big gamer, and when I get fluent enough it would be great to play some games in japanese.

Yes, Japanese and video games go well together, since the best games are made in Japan. If the game is aimed at children, (i.e, has a three + rating) You will probably find Hiragana is solely used, with a couple of Kanji and their pronunciation written underneath in Hiragana. "Grown up" games usually expect the player to read Kanji fluently.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Ongakuka » Thu 09.29.2005 6:16 am

I hope that didn't sound like I was suggesting that people who can't read Kanji aren't grown up... ;)
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Daichi » Thu 09.29.2005 7:10 am

skrhgh3b wrote:
i think you should add furigana for any kanji you believe aren't well known by beginners (jlpt level 4-ish) in parentheses immedialtely following the kanji. that way, they won't be completely ignoring the kanji.

私達(わたしたち)は漢字(かんじ)が本当(ほんとう)に上手(じょうず)じゃないんですね。
we're not terribly good at kanji, are we?

Good idea skrhgh3b, but I think it may be better to follow the lead of Sa, who writes a sort of kanji glossary beneath the post. This way the beginners aren't tempted to ignore the kanji, but advanced readers don't have furigana breaking up the text.
Daichi

Postby CajunCoder » Sun 10.02.2005 3:47 am

どうも ハリセンボンさん。 わたしは ひらがなを おさめる います。 (Kore wa?) よむ いま [better] です。
わたしは Zelda すき です、 にほんご に これは あそびたい。
なには げえむ が すき ですか?

Romaji:
Doumo Harisenben-san. Watashi wa hiragana o osameru imasu. (Kore wa?) Yomu ima better desu.
Watashi wa Zelda suki desu, nihongo ni kore wa asobitai.
Nani wa geemu ga suki desu ka?

What I attempted to say:
Thank you harisenben. I am studying hiragana. I am reading it better now.
I like zelda, I wish [or am looking forward to] to playing it in japanese.
What games do you like?

Is "Kore" used as the word "it"? I probably wasn't using it right... Also, did I use doumo correctly, or should I have used arigatou? I'm sure I worded that all poorly, but oh well.
Oh, I substituted with a few english words, as you can see... since I do not know the japanese equivelant to "better" and "Zelda".
Last edited by CajunCoder on Sun 10.02.2005 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Previous

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)