Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - mpg file editing

mpg file editing

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

mpg file editing

Postby Dehitay » Wed 11.28.2007 1:25 pm

I just got a new digital video camera that records on mini DVDs. Using the software that came with the camera, I can put the video on my computer in mpg format. However, that software doesn't do any more editing than splitting video files and possibly merging them.

The problem is I can't resize the video to different pixel size with the software that came with the camera. Since I plan on adding things to YouTube and the TJP video site, I don't need anything that big and would like to reduce the size. The last 3.5 minute video I had was 158 MB in size. If you know of any good programs for some one who is new to video editing, please tell me.

I also may later want to do some more advanced things like fading to different scenes, subtitling, and adding logos to specific spots on the screen. But if those kind of programs are rather complicated or take more than a single program, I might be better off with just what I can find to resize mpg files. Also, it would be convenient if the program could change from mpg to avi.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

RE: mpg file editing

Postby saraLynne » Wed 11.28.2007 4:59 pm

Do you need a freeware program? If not, there's always Nero.

I love it, and can even encode for DVD playback.
saraLynne

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 11.28.2007 5:12 pm

nero huh? does nero handle straight video editing or dvd rips too?
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Wed 11.28.2007 7:39 pm

dang, it turns out I can't even join multiple video files into one with this program either. Isn't Nero a brand? I need to know the name of the program itself that can resize and join together videos. Freeware would probly be better
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby chikara » Wed 11.28.2007 7:50 pm

Yes, Nero is a brand.

I use Roxio Easy Media Creator but it is not free. I don't know if it can join files as I have never tried but I'd be surprised if it can't.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby saraLynne » Wed 11.28.2007 9:13 pm

Nero is also the name of their product, just like McAfee Virus Scan and so forth.

I've used Nero for straight video editing and splicing myself and found it very easy to use.

I'm sorry, though, I don't know any good freeware video editors.
saraLynne

Return to General off topic