Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Use of あなた in coversation

Use of あなた in coversation

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Use of あなた in coversation

Postby TrashTreasurer » Fri 11.30.2007 3:56 am

Sorry if this is something that's been asked a million times before, but it's something that's been bugging me. While watching an episode of "Seinfeld", there was a business situation where a Japanese businessman, through an interpreter, kept on using あなた to the American. Every book I've read on the language and culture pretty much stated that "anata" was a no-no unless you really knew the person or in situations you deemed fit after much immersion with locals. Was the use of あなた in the show something used to lighten the mood (given the nature of the show) for those who may know Japanese? Or do the people of Japan have a more liberal view of it's use in today's society? I would just hate to visit Japan and use あなた with everyone and look disrespectful, and I trust any insight coming from the wonderful people here. Thanks!
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

RE: Use of あなた in coversation

Postby ChickenTeriyakiBoy » Fri 11.30.2007 4:09 am

Did you say Seinfeld!? Looks like you've come little too close to my nickname's origin. I wanted it to remain a secret for just a bit longer. Well, it's has a relation to Seinfeld but just by that you won't find it. xD

As for "anata" , when you don't know the person's name I suppose it's alright to use it. But your right, usually you call someone by their name if you know it.

Seinfeldだって? 僕のあだ名の元に近すぎに来てるみたいだよ!ww もう少し不思議な秘伝のままでしたかったのに。 まーSeinfeldと関係があるけどそれだけで見つからないんだ。 「あなた」とは 一緒に喋ってる人の名前を知らないなら使っていいと思います。  でもその通りなんだ、ってことは普通に名前で呼ばれる。
Last edited by ChickenTeriyakiBoy on Fri 11.30.2007 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
〜チキン照焼き少年〜

漢字の迫ヘが弱いのでいい教科書のおススメがあればPMで教えて下さいね。 

「これはレモンの匂いですか?」 「いいえ、夏みかんですよ。」
ChickenTeriyakiBoy

Postby Oracle » Fri 11.30.2007 4:40 am

TV shows aimed at English-speaking audiences (that Seinfeld episode, Heros etc) are not representative of natural Japanese.. Excessive use of anata is not normal.
Oracle

Native language: English

Postby TrashTreasurer » Fri 11.30.2007 4:51 am

Oracle wrote:
TV shows aimed at English-speaking audiences (that Seinfeld episode, Heros etc) are not representative of natural Japanese.. Excessive use of anata is not normal.

Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense to me, and I would have immediately assumed this fact and forgot about it if the person saying it wasn't so obviously Japanese and a native speaker of the Japanese language. I don't know why, before shooting, they would say, "listen, this is a show for American audiences, so use really informal and inappropriate Japanese for this given situation." However, now I know excessive use of anata isn't correct, which was what I was looking for. Any discussion of the use of the Japanese language in american shows or further comments on anata in general is cool to me B). Thanks again.
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby inuinu » Fri 11.30.2007 6:39 am

「あなた」を省略しても伝わる文なのに、わざわざ「あなた」をつけて言うと
文意になにか「含み」を持たせている感じがします。
その「含み」が良い意味なのか悪い意味なのかは文脈によりますが、
あまり「あなた」をつけすぎると、聞き手に少し圧迫感を与えてしまうかも知れません。

常に自分に向かって人差し指で「指をさされている」状態で相手の話を聞いているのと
同じような感覚がするのだと思います。
この状態で圧迫感を感じるのは万国共通だと思うのですが、いかがでしょうか。
tasukeru kotoga dekiru nara
tasuketai to omou.
dakedo eigo ha nigate.
inuinu

Postby TrashTreasurer » Fri 11.30.2007 6:57 am

inuinu wrote:
文意になにか「含み」を持たせている感じがします。

同じような感覚がするのだと思います。

lawls, I can pick out only very little of this message because my knowledge on kanji completely sucks at this point, but I can't seem to understand why this entire message was written in kana/kanji but your sig is in romanji?
TrashTreasurer

Postby ChickenTeriyakiBoy » Fri 11.30.2007 7:06 am

TrashTreasurer wrote:
inuinu wrote:
文意になにか「含み」を持たせている感じがします。

同じような感覚がするのだと思います。

lawls, I can pick out only very little of this message because my knowledge on kanji completely sucks at this point, but I can't seem to understand why this entire message was written in kana/kanji but your sig is in romanji?

If you could read it you could understand it's purpose. In English it's; "If I could help out I'd like to. However I'm not good at English"

読めるとSignatureのつもり気づくよ。 英訳は「If I could help out I'd like to. However I'm not good at English」とゆーんだ。
Last edited by ChickenTeriyakiBoy on Fri 11.30.2007 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
〜チキン照焼き少年〜

漢字の迫ヘが弱いのでいい教科書のおススメがあればPMで教えて下さいね。 

「これはレモンの匂いですか?」 「いいえ、夏みかんですよ。」
ChickenTeriyakiBoy

Postby TrashTreasurer » Fri 11.30.2007 7:11 am

Right. *Dons my "I kinda look like a d-bag" hat*, I keep it just for an occasion like this, like when it's 6 am and I haven't slept yet, and obvious things like that don't come to me. "eigo" was the only part of the sig I got, and that should have been enough, I guess. Boy do I have a long way to go...
Last edited by TrashTreasurer on Fri 11.30.2007 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
TrashTreasurer

Return to Japanese General Discussion