Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Any book for self-studying... ???

Any book for self-studying... ???

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Any book for self-studying... ???

Postby Albus » Fri 11.30.2007 12:32 am

Hi everyone,

I'm taking Japanese in school but I feel like I'm not learning as much as I want. I'm looking for a GOOD book that I can learn from, but there are so many out there.... Have you experienced any that's really good for self-studying ???
Albus

RE: Any book for self-studying... ???

Postby Wakannai » Fri 11.30.2007 12:50 am

What book is your school using first?

Some books use short lessons so they are more memorable, thus, easier. Easier in the beginning is a GOOD thing.

Language learning isn't something to agonize over the slowness of your progress, rather, it's something that after a year or two, you look back and realize how much you've done.
Wakannai

Postby Albus » Fri 11.30.2007 1:11 am

I'm not rushing myself. Have you ever had a feeling that once you know something you're truly interested in, you just yearn to know more?

We're using Japanese for Everyone: A Functional Approach to Daily Communication in school; this book is very good, but it doesn't explain ALL grammars used in dialogues and exercises. I think that using a combination of books is a good thing.
Albus

Postby Wakannai » Fri 11.30.2007 7:15 am

Heh, usually the problem with Japanese for Everyone is it moves too fast. Usually, when a textbook introduces new grammar but doesn't explain it, it will be explained shortly in the next few lessons. But I don't recommend using another textbook per-se, better to get a grammar guide and utilize that.
Wakannai

Postby ChickenTeriyakiBoy » Fri 11.30.2007 7:17 am

文法の案内書ならTae Kimさんページが一番だって思います。
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/
〜チキン照焼き少年〜

漢字の迫ヘが弱いのでいい教科書のおススメがあればPMで教えて下さいね。 

「これはレモンの匂いですか?」 「いいえ、夏みかんですよ。」
ChickenTeriyakiBoy

Postby HarajukuxBoy » Fri 11.30.2007 5:57 pm

Oh, I heard Japanese For Everyone was a good book. But I don't know, I personally use Genki I, and I highly recommend it. The only thing is, Genki I and the workbook itself will run you up about 60 bucks. So that's something it think about.
HarajukuxBoy

Postby NZJutsu » Fri 11.30.2007 6:42 pm

I've got Genki II, which is a very good book for my purposes (i.e Self-Studying) but I don't know what level your Japanese is. Also, on a side note, it cost me NZ$132.00

Damn our currency! ;)
NZJutsu

Return to Japanese General Discussion