Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 五年日本にいるわりには、結果はまだ出てな

五年日本にいるわりには、結果はまだ出てな

Japanese, general discussion on the language

五年日本にいるわりには、結果はまだ出てな

Postby James_dean » Tue 12.04.2007 4:34 am

なんで長い間日本に住んでいるのに、まだぺらぺらに成っていません。職場で毎日日本語を使っていますけど、説明できない場合よくあります。これは自分の問題だけですか?。他の人の意見を聞いてほしいです。
James_dean

RE: 五年日本にいるわりには、結果はまだ出

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 12.04.2007 5:19 am

James_dean wrote:
なんで長い間日本に住んでいるのに、まだぺらぺらに成っていません。職場で毎日日本語を使っていますけど、説明できない場合よくあります。これは自分の問題だけですか?。他の人の意見を聞きたいです。

Looks to me like you're doing fine. Things take time, and there will come a time when you realize that five years isn't really all that long.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby James_dean » Tue 12.04.2007 5:44 am

Thanks for pointing out the silly mistake....silly grammatical mistakes are the bain of my life

I would just like there to come a day when i can explain what i want to say properly and be understood by Japanese people when talking about even topics like hisory and politics. Also be understood when i write in Japanese. I know that its an almost impossible task but i know u can get close with work and to get close would be enough for me....

Thanks for the reply and this site and the people on it are a big help also it must be said........

Thank You!
James_dean

Postby NocturnalOcean » Tue 12.04.2007 6:23 am

I think one must also realize that if you wish to conversate about topics such as history, politics and science. It does require extra study. Reading books about it, learning the words used and so on. There is a big difference between the everyday japanese, and the bit stiffer japanese used when talking about such fields. But as Mike pointed out, 5 years isn't a very long time when it comes to learn a language Japanese, at least when you expect to master it at various areas. And you seem to do well. So work hard and you will make it.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 12.04.2007 8:02 am

I suck at stuff like history, politics and science as well. I just never bothered to learn the vocabulary. I can generally get my point across when the topic(s) come up, but since they're not things I discuss often in Japanese I never invested the effort.

("bane".....not "bain") <imagine smiley here>
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 12.04.2007 9:39 am

Using the language every day is part of getting better, but if you're not studying or getting corrections, you may not improve as fast as you want to.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby James_dean » Wed 12.05.2007 5:20 am

I suck at stuff like history, politics and science as well.

I don`t mean really difficult conversations just about history and politics of my country as compared to japan which can be interesting when exchanging views but in japanese difficult for me to get my point accross probably because of the subject matter.
Using the language every day is part of getting better, but if you're not studying or getting corrections, you may not improve as fast as you want to.

Well this is of course true but sometimes studying too much can work against you also....a break and just letting everything sink in is very beneficial too....
James_dean

Postby Ken Pro » Wed 12.05.2007 3:19 pm

^^^ I'm in the same boat as you. Japanese is very intimidating. In a weird way, the more you know, the more you know what you don't know. "Letting go" of the things you don't need to know could be a challenge in itself.
Ken Pro

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 12.05.2007 3:52 pm

well, you all could be in my shoes. All my vocabulary is very restricted to military and religion. Outside of those two arenas, my vocabulary drops off drastically. However, if you like to hear old man type scripture reading, I am your man. lol
two_heads_talking

Return to Japanese General Discussion