Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Dual Citizenship?

Dual Citizenship?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Dual Citizenship?

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 12.04.2007 11:50 am

i have read that Japan frowns upon dual citizenship, is this true and if so to what extent.
guitarplayer7694

RE: Dual Citizenship?

Postby Aritaurus » Tue 12.04.2007 12:07 pm

They don't recognise dual citizenship so if any foreigner decides to naturalise as a Japanese citizen, they would have to renounce the current citizenship(s) that they hold upon obtaining Japanese citizenship.

For children born to a foreign and Japanese parent, they can retain dual citizenship up until the age of 22. Upon reaching the age of 22 , they have to choose one nationality or else the Japanese citizenship will be revoked.

Like many other countries , they have pretty strict laws concerning dual citizenship.
Last edited by Aritaurus on Tue 12.04.2007 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aritaurus

Postby everdream » Tue 12.04.2007 2:33 pm

^ Does that mean, if I wanted to become a citizen there, I would lose my British Citizenship? Does that also mean I would have a hard time getting back into Britain to live? (Ha, that said, we let anyone in, shouldn't be a problem)
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 12.04.2007 3:00 pm

in a nutshell, the answer is yes. and even if you do become a citizen in Japan, you are still treated as a foreigner and there are still things true citizens can do that you, a foreign Japanese citizen cannot.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby everdream » Tue 12.04.2007 3:20 pm

So, are there any real advantages of becoming a citizen?

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby Aritaurus » Tue 12.04.2007 3:33 pm

everdream wrote:
^ Does that mean, if I wanted to become a citizen there, I would lose my British Citizenship? Does that also mean I would have a hard time getting back into Britain to live? (Ha, that said, we let anyone in, shouldn't be a problem)

Losing your citizenship is not automatic upon obtaining another one. Most countries will make you sign a declaration and you will have to swear that you will not retain foreign nationality upon obtaining citizenship of that country. The British government will not recognise this declaration alone so technically you're still a British citizen until you officially renounce your citizenship at one the consulates abroad. Once you have officially renouncd your British citizenship , they will issue you a certificate that certifies that you are no longer a British citizen.

Some countries requires this certificate as proof that you have renounced your citizenship before the citizenship of that country is granted. Some countries will just make you sign the declaration and you can technically get away with two passports as long you stay quiet. I'm not sure about Japan but either way, if they find out that you have another citizenship or see you with another passport, they can demand you to renounce it at any time or have your citizenship revoked.
Last edited by Aritaurus on Tue 12.04.2007 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aritaurus

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 12.04.2007 4:53 pm

everdream wrote:
So, are there any real advantages of becoming a citizen?

indeed are there.and do the japanese veiw the british in a diffrent air than they do americans?
Last edited by guitarplayer7694 on Tue 12.04.2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guitarplayer7694

Postby everdream » Tue 12.04.2007 5:02 pm

^So...the advantages are...?

- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 12.04.2007 5:05 pm

i was asking what the advantages are sorry.
guitarplayer7694

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 12.04.2007 5:54 pm

As best I can tell, the only (dubious) advantage is the ability to vote in Japanese elections. Other than that, I have never been able to think of a single blessed thing.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Aritaurus » Tue 12.04.2007 6:37 pm

To add to what Mike Cash has mentioned, you'll also have the right to hold the country's passport. The Japanese passport is one of the best regarded passports in the world in terms of travel freedom. There are only three nationalities in the world that have visa free access in Mainland China, Japan is one of the three.

You'll also have the right to remain in the country indefinitely to live , work and study and not be subject to any condition of stay, be removed or deported. Permanent residents do get these rights but if they leave and not return for a certain amount of time, these rights can be taken away. Permanent residents can also be deported if they commit any serious crimes and lose their status.

I'm sure there are more but what I'm saying is pretty general and applies to many countries other than Japan.
Last edited by Aritaurus on Tue 12.04.2007 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aritaurus

Postby Igirisu_gaz » Tue 12.04.2007 6:43 pm

There are benefits to jumping ship, all be them limited. The most obvious being voting as mentioned above. Additionally in the past there have been issues involving permanent non-Japanese residents of Japan not being eligiable to receive the government pension regardless of whether or not they have paid into it through their workplace, being a naturalized Japanese citizen with documented pension payment evidence makes this easier. Aside from that, financing of any kind becomes easier if the company in question don't think you are on the verge of fleeing back to your home country at any one moment.

However Japan only grants 20,000 or so citizenships a year and from what I understand the process is rigorous and tedious in equal amounts and will generally take up towards a year to complete.
何でやねん?
Igirisu_gaz

Postby Orcrist » Tue 12.04.2007 7:00 pm

I'd say being able to stay in Japan regardless of having a visa is a nice advantage. Ofcourse most foreigners that end up living in Japan longterm either have a good job that's keeping them there, or are married to a Japanese citizen. Nothing to worry about, untill you get fired or you and your partner decide to divorce. Still nothing to worry about, most people get upset and leave the country anyway. However if you want to live in Japan regardless of job/marriage, it's the way to go.

Also, I remember reading about a (former) British citizen becoming a Japanese citizen. He described that after revoking British citizenship one can regain it without too much hassle within a set period of years (I forgot the set period of time, but the point being that there is some sort of safety net).
Also, before being able to even apply for Japanese citizenship you would have to live in Japan for atleast 5 years straight.

Costs:
- Live in Japan for 5 years
- Want to keep living in Japan even after divorce/losing job
- Go trough alot of bureacratic crap and trouble
- Losing citizenship of your "native" country

Reward:
- Being able to stay in Japan, regardless of social status
- Being able to vote, or better said; being able to be politically active.
- Kanji name!

So basically if you ever have to choose between a Japanese citizenship and your citizenship(s) at that moment it's not really a choice. You already picked your answer.

As far as I know. ;)
Orcrist

Native language: Dutch

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 12.05.2007 8:47 am

Orcrist wrote:
I'd say being able to stay in Japan regardless of having a visa is a nice advantage. Ofcourse most foreigners that end up living in Japan longterm either have a good job that's keeping them there, or are married to a Japanese citizen. Nothing to worry about, untill you get fired or you and your partner decide to divorce.

Divorce kills a spouse visa, but has no deleterious effect upon permanent residency status. Married permanent residents who get divorced can continue living in Japan.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Orcrist » Wed 12.05.2007 10:11 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Divorce kills a spouse visa, but has no deleterious effect upon permanent residency status. Married permanent residents who get divorced can continue living in Japan.

My bad yes, completely forgot about permanent residency. Discarded it as "just a step".
Orcrist

Native language: Dutch

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan