Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Research questionair

Research questionair

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Research questionair

Postby randomperson » Thu 12.06.2007 1:38 pm

As part of my requirements to pass english we have to write a research paper. My topic is bilingual education. and I would like to interview type thing on what general people thing. So if you could please answer the following (and number accordingly) and put your age as well for i would like to see if age plays a part in common answers. I have also gave a very general meaning of bilingual education.

Bilingual Education-Use of two languages in the classroom (for teaching all subjects)
1.Have you been a student in a bilingual education classroom? If so, what was it like? If not, do you wish you were?
2.Do you support the idea of bilingual education?
3.If you were able to pick the second language, what would it be?
4.Should we use bilingual education to promote language learning?
5.What age should these programs start?
6.Should Americans be required to know a second language for college and why
7.Do you think bilingual education programs that are to help non-native speakers a good idea or do you think they (foreigners) should learn the language spoken?
8.What do you think are the positive things about being bilingual
9.What do you think would be the best type of bilingual education program?
randomperson

RE: Research questionair

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 12.06.2007 1:57 pm

1. yes, it was an intense environment.
2. no
3. Japanese
4. simple answer = no.
5. since i don't believe they promote learning age is irrelevant
6. no. a required second language is just a worthless way to pad the books
7. I believe the (immigrant) should learn the language of the country they immigrate to.
8. being bilingual allows one to communicate with others that wouldnormally be difficult or impossible due to language restraints.
9. I couldn't begin to answer that, since I believe most fail miserably. They either focus on the "native" language of the immigrant too much or don't emphasize the "new" language of the "new" country.

my age is 40.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Chris Hart » Thu 12.06.2007 2:01 pm

I think regardless where you are in the world, you should try to learn the language locally spoken. That being said, learning a second language gives wonderful insights into the language learning process, and usually some insights into your native language as well. How many insights, and what they are, though, are affected by how closely related the second language is, and how far you take the learning process.

At various points in my life, I would have chosen different languages, but currently would choose Japanese. (I suspect that on this site, Japanese will be the most likely result for the language of choice)
Last edited by Chris Hart on Thu 12.06.2007 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby randomperson » Thu 12.06.2007 2:10 pm

Yea, the Japanese part I know will be that, but questions where in general as I wrote them for more then just this site, but since this site has a lot of people I thought it would be an easy way as i need about 400 people for my teacher said i had to have alot for a general person...
randomperson

Postby spin13 » Thu 12.06.2007 4:27 pm

1.Have you been a student in a bilingual education classroom? If so, what was it like? If not, do you wish you were?

1. No, I have never been in a bilingual education classroom. At the time I was a student, I was glad of this. Now, I'm not so certain.

2. I support education and all well conceived ideas to promote it in the broadest sense. In this respect, I could certainly support some bilingual education programs.

3. Regarding the United States, I would choose Spanish. Most successful language learning requires a need, desire, or use for the target language. Not only is Spanish an international language of enormous proportions, but it has the most [current] potential for use in the US.

4. No, bilingual education should be the result of a need (or desire) to increase communication. Any promotion should stem from this and be done at a lower, more fundamental level.

5. I have no idea.

6. Americans should not be required to know a second language for college. As it stands now, a lot of current undergraduate education is a joke. The focus now should not be on limiting the enrollment but rather on strengthening our current programs.
7.Do you think bilingual education programs that are to help non-native speakers a good idea or do you think they (foreigners) should learn the language spoken?

7. The USA has a de facto language of English. Language is not so much about accumulating or display of knowledge or ability, but a means of communication. All programs should be aimed towards this simple, obvious goal. Without communication language has no value.

8. Communication. With lots of people.

9. I have no idea.

I'm a 23 year old American citizen living in Japan. I speak English (US) natively and Japanese as a second language (first exposure, age 20).

Learn to spell the word questionnaire.

-Eric
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby ss » Thu 12.06.2007 11:53 pm

Ran, this is a very interesting thread.

Allow me to give a brief introduction of Lion City before I attempt to answer the questionnaire.

As you know, Singapore is a multi-racial society. By the end of 19th century, our society consisted of the Chinese, Peninsular Malays, Javanese, Boyanese, Indians, Ceylonese, Arabs, Jews, Eurasians and Europeans. Singaporeans today are mostly descendants of Immigrants from these early immigrants. We have acquired our own distinct identity while retaining the traditional practices and customs of our forefathers. This is the very unique culture of Singapore being a mixture of different ethic groups.

Our national anthem "Majulah Singapura", as you can see, was composed in Malay Language, hence the national language of Singapore is Malay for some historical reasons.

Singapore was once ruled under British Colonial, English was more important, relegating Mandarin Chinese to second place. My dad is so-called a Peranakan. During his time, he went to an English school in the morning and a Mandarin Chinese school in the afternoon.

My mom, on the other hand, attended only English school. Compare to my dad, she can speak very little Mandarin, therefore we speak English at home most of the time.

Bilingualism is a cornerstone of Singapore education system. The bilingual policy was first adopted in 1966. After which, children learn two languages, English being the first language and their official mother tongue (Chinese, Malay or Tamil).

During our 6 years of foundation primary education (Primary 1-6), English (British English) and mother tongue (Chinese, Malay or Tamil), Mathematics and Science are compulsory examination subjects. Other subjects include social studies, civic and moral education, health education, arts and crafts, music and PE (physical education), are all taught in English.

In all education levels, our education ministry updates its syllabi regularly to ensure they remain relevant in the ever changing global economy.

There are schools that offer other foreign languages like Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Korean and the like. But they are not compulsory subject.

My mom always says this to us :
"I regret not to speak to you in Mandarin when you were young. It's a good thing you learnt Mandarin in school. It will introduce you to the world of Chinese culture. Do you understand why you are this unique mixture?". Hence, Celebrating Chinese New Year is a tradition we uphold fervently, and of course, other important traditional events that strengthens family ties.

As to your questionnaire,
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Japanese
4) Yes
5) As early as possible
6) Not in a position to speak
7) Don't understand this question
8) It is always an asset
9) Depends
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby Gundaetiapo » Fri 12.07.2007 12:51 am

Yea, the Japanese part I know will be that, but questions where in general as I wrote them for more then just this site, but since this site has a lot of people I thought it would be an easy way as i need about 400 people for my teacher said i had to have alot for a general person...

Did you choose all language sites to do your polling? Compare with determining the percentage of cat owners by surveying at pet stores, standing next to the cat food and cat toys if necessary.
Last edited by Gundaetiapo on Fri 12.07.2007 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gundaetiapo

Postby Dehitay » Fri 12.07.2007 10:47 am

Does the term 'bilingual education' mean something more specific than just learning a 2nd language? If not, I have no idea why anybody would honestly say 'no' to question 2, but 2heads already did. Also, that would make question 4 really redundant.

From what I've read so far, rather than just learning a second language, bilingual education seems to be some kind of strictly enforced program that targets foreigners.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.07.2007 12:22 pm

bilingual education is not english as a second language. at least not the way I understand it. It is promotion of another language to eleviate the need to use English in that area..

At least in the DC metro area, that is one of the key issues. Prince William County VA is a front runner on immigration issues and bilingual vs english as a second language is a huge spearhead issue.

I am all about education of immigrants, but not the tons of money poured into bilingual classes just so the person who can't speak English can fit in. We have those types of classes, where and English Teacher and Spanish speaking Teacher are in the same class.. (waste of money, waste of talent, and it encourages the non-native english speaker to use their native tongue rather than learn English.
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Fri 12.07.2007 1:35 pm

ok, that puts things in more context so I can answer too

Bilingual Education-Use of two languages in the classroom (for teaching all subjects)
No, I haven't been in such a class. Yes, I would have liked a chance to practice a foreign language to improve myself.

No, it's a lot more efficient to have 1 primary language for everything to run on.

Japanese is my second language. If I were to pick another, it would be Spanish.

Actually, this is still a redundant question. Bilingual education will promote language learning merely because that's what bilingual education is. If you want to ask if we should use language learning to promote bilingual education, then I would say no.

No, English is the only language an American will need. Others are optional for more benefits.

Bad idea, foreigners should definitely learn the primary language of where they intend to live.

A wider range of people to communicate with opens up a lot more opportunities. In addition, those who learn a language later in life rather than as a toddler develop a thinking process that becomes very helpful.

Immersion where they student goes to a class each day, and then goes outside and practices what he was just taught.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby randomperson » Fri 12.07.2007 4:22 pm

Did you choose all language sites to do your polling? Compare with determining the percentage of cat owners by surveying at pet stores, standing next to the cat food and cat toys if necessary.

no, it started for just people I knew in school and such but i think I need way more people.

From what I have got bilingual education is basicly a way for foregins to not "learn" the language (in the US it being english) as fast. So say you have a spanish person who is there. part of the class would be in spanish for that person/group.

Wiki article on bilingual education
Last edited by randomperson on Fri 12.07.2007 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randomperson

Postby Noob » Fri 12.07.2007 5:30 pm

Wouldn't a bilingual classroom be a bit too distracting? I'm not really against the idea, unless its forced on people that don't want it. Would be an interesting Elective though.
Noob

Return to General off topic