Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Chan suffix deserves a disciplinary action (ちゃん付け

Chan suffix deserves a disciplinary action (ちゃん付け

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Chan suffix deserves a disciplinary action (ちゃん付け

Postby coco » Thu 12.06.2007 9:12 pm

It is Japanese custom to address someone(who is in front of you) by name plus an appropriate name-suffix/honorific which is selected based on the relationship between you and that person. However, we Japanese sometimes hesitate to choose a name suffix. Recently, one controversial case was reported.
---
It turned out that a male university professor in his 50s was reprimanded with a half-day salary (10,704yen) cut for his harassing a female student.
What is the harassing behavior? He addressed the female student by XXちゃん, ちゃん was added to her first name. Since his speech, such as XXちゃん、きれいだね, made that student uncomfortable/irritated, she appealed to the university for corrective action. 

After several interviews, the University resolved that the professor's speech deserved disciplinary action for the power harassment/ bullying.

--
According to a debate of a radio program, which selects topics for debating every week day, most listeners seemed to disagree with the thought that calling a female student with ちゃん deserves this reprimand.

One of listener, a 20s female said " I prefer ちゃん rather than さん. Also adding ちゃん is much better than dropping a honorific."

A few of them pointed out that the problem was not only the matter of name suffix. I also assumed that this problem was caused by more complicated factors of the relationship between the professor and the student.

This news makes managers ponder about how to address their subordinates. Early 20s workers also get nervous what how to call their opposite-sex-colleagues.
--
Related threads
dono, san, sama----ACK!
A question about names.
Virtually polite?
くんandちゃん
さん(san), くん(kun), ちゃん(chan), etc.
どの?...
---

相手との関係に応じた呼称・敬称で相手を呼ぶの日本の慣例ですが、実際のところどのように呼べばよいのか日本人でもよく迷います。 その難しさを如実に浮キ出来事が報道されました。

山梨大大学院医学工学総合研究部(甲府市、中央市)の50代の男性教授が女子学生を「ちゃん」付けで呼び、大学側からパワーハラスメント(パワハラ)に当たるとして減給1万704円の懲戒処分を受けていたことが30日、わかった。
同大学によると、同教授の研究室に所属する唯一の女子学生が昨年9〜11月、「○ちゃん、きれいだね」などと言われ、不快として大学に訴え出ていた。同教授が事実を認めたため、大学はパワハラと認定したという。大学は「再発防止のため啓発に努めたい」としている。--(12月1日付産経新聞より)

この問題を取り上げたラジオ討論番組での多数意見は、「ちゃん」付けだけで懲戒処分にするのは厳しすぎるので、他にもなにか問題があったのでは−−-というものでした。私自身もそう思います。なかには呼び捨てやさん付けにされるよりも、ちゃん付けの方がいいという20代女性の意見もありました。

私自身は、親戚関係と学生時代からの(あるいは20代前半までに知り合った)友人に対しては心置きなくちゃん付け・くん付けで呼びますが、先方の職場関係者が同席している場合は、さん付けに変えます。

上のケースは極端な例だと思いますが、各種ハラスメントに敏感な職場では「ちゃん付け」禁止令を出すかもしれません。
くわばらくわばら。 ;)
---
Edit: Grammatical errors corrected. ( Thanks for the correction, I really appreciate that.)
Last edited by coco on Wed 12.12.2007 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

RE: Chan suffix deserves a disciplinary action (ちゃん付

Postby ss » Fri 12.07.2007 12:44 am

Coco-san, thanks for sharing the news. However, it’s hard to judge and comment without knowing the actual situation. It could be due to some personal issue between them. I just feel it was rather absurd and extreme to jump into conclusion that the professor's speech deserved disciplinary action for the power harassment/bullying just saying XXちゃん、きれいだね, and being punished with a half-day salary (10,704yen) cut for his harassing.

If Papa says this to me: “Hi sweetheart, you look beautiful today yo.”, I would never take that as harassment or bully. Everybody loves him for being a little “cheeeekie” sometimes. We don’t need an upright Papa. (Tanuki would agree with me for sure ^^; )

[spoiler]I seize every opportunity to tease Papa Image[/spoiler]
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby under___attack » Fri 12.07.2007 12:50 am

I agree that it seems a little extreme. Of course you can never be too careful when working nowadays. I knew someone (an older 40 something gentleman) who was going to be sued for sexual harassment by his 20 something secratary for saying "That's a cute blouse". An innocent comment made to make the new secretary feel comfortable did just the opposite. People take everything the wrong way nowadays.
under___attack

Postby doinkies » Fri 12.07.2007 2:03 am

I wonder if this professor had a history of harassing female students, and if the XXちゃん thing was the last straw. It would make more sense.
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Native language: English

Postby saraLynne » Fri 12.07.2007 4:06 am

under___attack wrote:
I agree that it seems a little extreme. Of course you can never be too careful when working nowadays. I knew someone (an older 40 something gentleman) who was going to be sued for sexual harassment by his 20 something secratary for saying "That's a cute blouse". An innocent comment made to make the new secretary feel comfortable did just the opposite. People use every opportunity to ruin someone's reputation to make some easy money.

Fixed that for ya. :P
saraLynne

Postby Noob » Fri 12.07.2007 7:10 am

I don't know how it is in Japan, but American women tend to use sexual harassment as a weapon rather than a defense.
I' am not saying ALL American women do this, but many have made similar allegations over trivial matters.
I tend to agree with other posters here. There is probably more to this story. Either the professor has a history of harassment, or the female student just does not like the professor. Could be retalliation for a poor grade or something.
Noob

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 12.07.2007 9:54 am

American women tend to use sexual harassment as a weapon rather than a defense. I' am not saying ALL American women do this, but many have made similar allegations over trivial matters

They're not trivial matters, that's the point. It's easy for you (a white male, I assume) to sit aside and tell women they shouldn't feel offended or threatened by certain things, but try being in their shoes and then maybe you wouldn't say that.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.07.2007 10:34 am

there is no cut and dried definition here. we can never truelly know if one person took an innocent comment and then threaded it down the channels of law suit for easy money or if the person saying what they said meant it in a shady light. the shoe analogy works both ways Chris. unless you have worn both shoes, maybe you wouldn't say anything at all..

it's easy to point finger at white male for anything anymore. being wasp (white anglo saxon protistant) is the biggest damn target to wear anymore. if you really want to see repression, just put the cloak on. and the blouse comment, I have seen it both ways. with the male being sexually aggressive and also with the female being overly offended by a simple comment.

However, I have to agree with prior comments. We (I mean all of us) are too quick to anger, too quick to judgement and too quick to find fault in others. the golden rule used to be "Do unto others what you would have them do unto you." It has become "Do unto others before they do unto you and take them for all they are worth."
It's a moral decline regardless of which side of the fence youstand on.

Oh, and the grass isn't greener on the other side, nor does it taste better. It's just a matter of most people wanting what someone else has and when they get it, they realize it's not enough so they want more.

anyways, that's my rant.
two_heads_talking

Postby ss » Fri 12.07.2007 10:34 am

If things go beyond extreme, that’s not a healthy sign. Life itself is tough, it gets tougher living in a world of fearsome. I think we should see the rationale behind the decision.

Anyway .... really don't understand the problem there.
ss

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 12.07.2007 10:41 am

The thing is, when someone is in a position of power over you, innocuous comments can have a more threatening or pressuring tone than they normally would.

The reason white males get the target is because they (we, I guess) have very little idea of what it's like to be discriminated against. Notice how it's always men that are claiming women misuse sexual harassment allegations? That's not a coincidence.

But I don't know if this is getting into rule-violating politics discussion.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby AJBryant » Fri 12.07.2007 11:07 am

SS wrote:
Everybody loves him for being a little “cheeeekie” sometimes.

Hey, Sweetheart, you look beautiful today, yo.

:p

B)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby ss » Fri 12.07.2007 11:30 am

Icebreakers are techniques used to reduce tension and anxiety, thank you for brighten up my days, Papa. Oh no, night, a sweet holy night.

Have a wonderful day ahead.

That’s my ideal world.

:D * psychic! *
ss

Postby Chris Hart » Fri 12.07.2007 11:45 am

Harassment is a difficult issue. It involves not only what was said, but also how it was said, who said it and to whom, their relationship, location... (basically the entire context, as is a semi-automatic rant commonly heard around these parts)

This given, I'm certain there was a lot more than just a comment such as 「XXちゃん、きれいだね」

two_heads_talking wrote:
being wasp (white anglo saxon protistant) is the biggest damn target to wear anymore.

Guilty on 2 counts, innocent on the 3rd.

Edit for spelling.
Last edited by Chris Hart on Fri 12.07.2007 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby miho-sempai » Fri 12.07.2007 11:56 am

Do they censor what's released in their media like what's released here? [in America, I mean]
Last edited by miho-sempai on Fri 12.07.2007 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
miho-sempai

Postby Shirasagi » Fri 12.07.2007 12:42 pm

A woman called "[first name]-chan" by her professor has every reason to believe she is not being taken as seriously as her male classmates. Now, whether such a complaint was worth docking his pay is up in the air, and this is where it would help to have more information. If this was a first offense, a simple talking to would have sufficed, I think. If this was part of a larger problem, I would expect a much more severe punishment. I mean, seriously, the prof's making at the very least 428,000 yen a month gross (roughly $3,800). I don't think losing 10,000 yen (around $90) is really going to hurt him.

I suspect that the cut is probably in accordance with some policy.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan