Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Postby everdream » Fri 12.07.2007 6:39 pm

With me, I have had so many bad experiences in this country, it holds too many bad memories, I basically need to escape in the near future, so Japanese was the language that came to me.

Also, I've never agreed with the forced language learning they enforce in my school, you don't get a choice, you must learn French and German or basically they'll kick yo out... I don't mind French, but the pace is so slow (Look at it this way, if we started Japanese in year 7 when we come to high school, by the end of school at year 11, we would only be at about JLPT3). So, I decided to side track and learn a language that I actually want to learn, at my own pace.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby MoogleFan » Sat 12.08.2007 2:16 am

1) I love languages (after I achieve a fair proficiency in Japanese, I want to introduce French into the equation...^_^)
2) I love Japanese culture + video games + anime + manga
3) I enjoy doing Japanese calligraphy (and I have a sumi-e kit!)
MoogleFan

Postby nabilahforever » Sat 12.08.2007 3:52 am

I want to learn japanese because i like the culture,food,movies,dramas,animes and everything about japan. And it is also because i like yui the japanese singer and she has talented in playing acoustic guitar,electric guitar,piano and drums. The language is very challenging to me and i want to understand what they talked about. I have passion in learning japanese language since i'm young and wanted to go to japan in a few years later. Now,i'm learning japanese in internet and with the helping hands of TJP,members of TJP,and other pages of japanese languages. minna arigatou! :D And to tokyolongborder,i like this thread very much!(sorry if i made many mistakes in grammar)

sincerely,nabilah desu
Stop talking as if u know me..-YUI
nabilahforever

Postby Simon86 » Sat 12.08.2007 9:12 am

everdream wrote:
With me, I have had so many bad experiences in this country, it holds too many bad memories, I basically need to escape in the near future, so Japanese was the language that came to me.

Also, I've never agreed with the forced language learning they enforce in my school, you don't get a choice, you must learn French and German or basically they'll kick yo out... I don't mind French, but the pace is so slow (Look at it this way, if we started Japanese in year 7 when we come to high school, by the end of school at year 11, we would only be at about JLPT3). So, I decided to side track and learn a language that I actually want to learn, at my own pace.

I know exactly what you mean mate, 5 years of studying French, i got a D for that in my GCSE's. One of my mates is really bright, he got an A for French, yet he can't remember any of it now. I've learnt more Japanese in a few months than i had done with French in 5 years. It's not that i don't like French, I just wasn't interested at the time, i probably will get back to it eventually. Besides, I don't think the French like us that much anyway....

I learn Japanese because I enjoy learning it, I want to see as many different countries and cultures as possible. The more languages you know, the more you can communicate with the world ;) (obviously...)
Simon86

Postby HarajukuxBoy » Sat 12.08.2007 12:09 pm

Well I want to learn Japanese becuase, I have a strong interest in Linguistics and different Languages. I am also a fan of Japanese movies and culture. I became interested in learning Japanese when I was about 10 years old. I was fascinated by the culture and the various art styles. I also enjoy watching jdramas and anime. I hope to get a job in Japanese translation, like being a translator for businessmen. I would also like to become of Linguist, traslating books and text into different languages. By the time I'm around 60 years old, I want to be fluent in at least 3 foreign languages.
HarajukuxBoy

Postby guillermo » Sat 12.08.2007 3:13 pm

there is no knowledge that is not power...
guillermo

Postby libreg » Sun 12.09.2007 10:32 pm

I'm not too sure. I decided to start learning Japanese because Japan has the most advanced technology out of any country, and we all love technology, don't we? I would say it's because I like anime, but I always see the anime in English. I don't like the japanese versions, and I'm not too crazy about anime anyway. Can't say I like J-rock too much. So why am I learning it? Good question.
libreg

Postby Kurasho » Sat 12.15.2007 10:41 am

Main reason: Video Games (RPGs)
Others : very fun to learn , Manga , Anime and a general interest in languages
Kurasho

Postby Stefan » Tue 12.18.2007 11:33 pm

I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT JAPAN. FOR I AM THE JAPAOPHILE.
Stefan

Postby Kerirae » Tue 12.18.2007 11:39 pm

I would love to learn japanese, because i love everything about the culture, the food, everything. :]
Kerirae

Native language: English

Postby Kuri » Sun 12.23.2007 9:39 pm

Reason for this post

1) Boredom

Reason to learn a foreign language

1) Why not
2) Sometimes I talk to people who speak that language as the mother tongue
2.5) Aforementioned people can't communicate as well in my language, and I still want to talk to them.

Reasons not to learn a foreign language

1) Somebody somewhere told everybody everywhere that language is culture, and so if you can 梅雨 you must be really interested in umbrellas.
2) Associating with people who are learning to say 梅雨 because they really like umbrellas.

Otherwise getting a chance to talk with people that you usually wouldn't be able to is kind of fun. Honestly though, if I could go back I'd pick a different language. Japanese really don't have that much of interest to say.... Maybe language is culture after all =p
Hey, so like I\'m not good at formal stuff. Gimme a break, okay
Kuri

Re: Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Postby m_ » Sat 03.22.2008 2:47 am

many stuff that makes me TOTALLY PASSIONATE about is in japanese..be it anime, J-rock/J-punk music etc. it is really nice to try and understand these things I love. another of my newest japanese craze is the japanese street magician - Cyril Takayama.. check him out in youtube.. he is really awesome
Last edited by Daisuke on Sat 03.22.2008 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited potentially offensive words.
m_

Postby Jayman » Mon 06.09.2008 10:07 am

The main reason i want to learn Japanese is so that i can live there in the near future. I just love Japan. I had such high expectations for it and when i went to Tokyo last November i was not let down. To live in a country where people show each other such courtesy would be amazing. I love the food, the anime and the technology. I love final fantasy, the pretty girls and vending machines :)

Don't ever change Japan.
Jayman

Postby AJBryant » Mon 06.09.2008 10:54 am

Jayman wrote:To live in a country where people show each other such courtesy

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 06.09.2008 10:58 am

It seems like that to people who only are there for a short time.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion