Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A couple of random questions...

A couple of random questions...

Japanese, general discussion on the language

A couple of random questions...

Postby ess_jay_arr » Mon 12.10.2007 4:10 am

Sorry, these really are quite random, but I thought it better to do it this way than to start three separate topics...

What's a good response to 「あたためますか?」? Somehow 「お願いします」 seems too much, and 「はい」 doesn't seem enough.

There's a word I think I've heard that means 'to become annoyed' but can just be used on its own as an exclamation of annoyance. I'm remembering it as 「むくつく」, but that only gets about 500 google hits, so I'm dubious. Any advances on that?

What's the 数え方 for ドーナツ? :P
ess_jay_arr

RE: A couple of random questions...

Postby Oyaji » Mon 12.10.2007 4:20 am

Actually, 「はい。お願いします」 would be a good response.

I think you are looking for 「むかつく」. It's a common enough word, but I wouldn't recommend using it until you are really familiar with it.

Doughnuts are simply 1個、2個、 etc.
Oyaji

Postby ess_jay_arr » Mon 12.10.2007 4:33 am

Ah, okay, thanks. I thought I heard somewhere that you're not actually expected to be all that polite to convenience store workers because they're only doing their job... can't remember the source though, perhaps I'll just discard it. I prefer being polite anyway. :)

Yep, that sounds about right! Thanks for the word of advice, but I'm only planning to use it for teasing my friends by pretending to be annoyed with them. I think I can get away with that. I'm pretty sure I make more mistakes than I get stuff right anyway... it's what they expect. :P
ess_jay_arr

Postby Oyaji » Mon 12.10.2007 5:01 am

It's just that むかつく literally means "You make me sick" and I really don't think many people would find it amusing, even in jest. But then, you know your friends better than I do. ;)
Oyaji

Postby ess_jay_arr » Thu 12.13.2007 9:21 am

I went to a game center with a friend yesterday, she picked something up in one of those UFO catchers, then dropped it before it got to the exit hole... what do you think she said? :P

むかつく!ちょうむかつく!

Funny how sometimes no sooner do you learn a word than you hear it used in context... it's happened to me three times this week. There's a name for the phenomenon, but I've completely forgotten it. :P
ess_jay_arr

Return to Japanese General Discussion