Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Why Are Newbies Learning The Freakin Kanji?!

Why Are Newbies Learning The Freakin Kanji?!

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Why Are Newbies Learning The Freakin Kanji?!

Postby AJBryant » Wed 10.31.2007 12:47 pm

There's a difference between thread drift and hijacking.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Chris Hart » Wed 10.31.2007 1:01 pm

AJBryant wrote:
There's a difference between thread drift and hijacking.

Tony

Agreed. In this thread, notice the on topic comments that brought Gallagher into the conversation, and how the thread just flowed. Contrast this with echizenyorokobi's post.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 11.01.2007 12:00 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Although that is kind of ironic coming directly after a series of posts talking about Gallagher. :).

I tend to agree.
two_heads_talking

Postby Krysta » Tue 11.13.2007 2:01 pm

Learning kanji is fun, but thats only a small part of learning Japanese.
I have Japanese 4 days a week and only one day we learn new kanji.
8-10 every week.
Thats because knowing kanji doesnt mean you know japanese.
We spent most of the time learning the grammar.
Krysta

Postby mj12axy88 » Sat 11.24.2007 12:29 pm

For those who learn JP just for fun/without a real need -

Would you ever learn JP if it weren't a hieroglyphic language?
mj12axy88

Postby MoogleFan » Sat 12.08.2007 2:07 am

Once I learned hiragana and katakana (which simultaneously studying conversational Japanese, as well) I became increasingly determined to tackle kanji, to wash away all memories of the romaji-only method I had been "tainted" with early on in my study...I've got all the 1st and 2nd grade kanji down, as well as an assortment of other grade kanji (and I've made flash cards for almost all of the Joyo kanji), but I've shifted my focus more to the conversational and grammatical aspects of Japanese. I write everything Japanese in hiragana and katakana while I am completing my lessons (be it in a book like "Japanese For Everyone" or self-study projects) as well as in whatever kanji that I happen to know. I'm trying not to get so bent-out-of-shape if I don't know what kanji to use in a sentence as opposed to the hiragana; I want to be much more proficient in speaking and understanding conversation before I study kanji more intensively.
MoogleFan

Postby latenight2736 » Mon 12.10.2007 5:12 pm

A lot of people credit Japanese as being difficult mostly because of having to know kanji to read/write like a native. Although that definetly contributes to the difficulty of the language that doesn't mean that it is the paramount thing to study. Let's face it, although it is a great triumph to learn kanji quickly and to know a lot of them, the thing that is really more imortant and in my opinion more difficult is speaking and listening. Outside of a classroom there are no pauses to gather our thoughts, no prompts for what you should be saying and nobody to speak slowly and help you along. That is why beginners students should learn Kanji slowly, because it just isn't important enough at the time.

The bad part is that most beginners get intimidated by real japanese writing and believe that knowing kanji is much more important than it is. That results in worse japanese in the end, sure you can write a sentence full of kanji in some post on this website that I can't read, but could you hold a conversation with me? How long did it take to write that sentence?
no hesitation, go for it!
latenight2736

Postby everdream » Mon 12.10.2007 5:44 pm

mj12axy88 wrote:

Hmm, that is a good point. I really can't say. One of the things that interested me about the language was the use of kana/kanji as oppossed to the roman alphabet. So maybe yes, but maybe not.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby kevinnwhat » Mon 12.10.2007 6:20 pm

mj12axy88 wrote:

of course, japanese culture is what made me want to learn the language. Not the writing system. To be honest i think the roman system of writing is better just because its so much more simple, and straight to the point. Thats just my opinion though :P
kevinnwhat

Postby Christine Tham » Mon 12.10.2007 9:59 pm

mj12axy88 wrote:

To me, that's kind of like asking "Would you ever learn JP if it wasn't JP?" :-)

Seriously, whether we like it or not, Kanji is part of Modern Japanese. There was an attempt to switch to romaji after World War II, suggested by the American occupying forces, but it didn't work - there are too many words which sound the same and the only way to tell them apart is by using Kanji.

By the way, strictly speaking, Japanese is not a "hieroglyphic language". Kana are "syllabaries," and Kanji is used as an extended syllabary and to disambiguate homonyms. Very few Kanji characters are "hieroglyphics" - there are only around 150 pure pictographs/ideographs in the Jouyou set (152 to be exact, if I recall). The majority of Kanji characters are phonetic/semantic composites.
Christine Tham

Postby AJBryant » Mon 12.10.2007 11:58 pm

Christine Tham wrote:
By the way, strictly speaking, Japanese is not a "hieroglyphic language".

In Russian, it is. It's a linguistic holdover from what the term is in the poster's native language.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Christine Tham » Tue 12.11.2007 7:58 pm

AJBryant wrote:
In Russian, it is. It's a linguistic holdover from what the term is in the poster's native language.

Tony

Fine, but the poster is posting in English.
Christine Tham

Postby chikara » Tue 12.11.2007 8:19 pm

Christine Tham wrote:
Fine, but the poster is posting in English.

If they posted in Russian would you understand their point better? ;)

The poster has their location as Riga, Latvia so it is a reasonable assumption that English is not their native language. Please try and take this into account before nit picking at posts. :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby JaySee » Tue 12.11.2007 8:52 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Christine Tham wrote:
By the way, strictly speaking, Japanese is not a "hieroglyphic language".

Tony

I think in Latvia they speak Latvian though, which is not even a Slavic language. I agree that people should go easy on the non-natives, though I don't see any wrong in correcting their mistakes in a friendly way.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby Christine Tham » Tue 12.11.2007 9:53 pm

chikara wrote:
The poster has their location as Riga, Latvia so it is a reasonable assumption that English is not their native language. Please try and take this into account before nit picking at posts. :)

Let me get this straight. I should not "nit pick" on someone in Latvia posting in English because they could be thinking in Russian.

And here I thought I was simply being helpful by clarifying a common (?) misconception about Kanji. Oh well, can't please them all.
Christine Tham

PreviousNext

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips