Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - jus sanguinis or jus soli.

jus sanguinis or jus soli.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

jus sanguinis or jus soli.

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Wed 12.12.2007 12:19 pm

Which one does Japan recognize? For those who don't know jus sanguinis is "right of blood" meaning if your parents are of this citizenship so are you. Jus soli is "right of soil" meaning you are born there so you are a citizen there.
User avatar
guitarplayer7694
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri 11.02.2007 7:33 pm

RE: jus sanguinis or jus soli.

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 12.12.2007 12:27 pm

I believe your question has been answered in another thread.. try the search and see what you find..

(edited because I simply can't spell today.)
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Wed 12.12.2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

RE: jus sanguinis or jus soli.

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Wed 12.12.2007 12:39 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
I believe your question has been answered in another thread.. try the search and see what you find..

(edited because I simply can't spell today.)


I tried and found nothing.
User avatar
guitarplayer7694
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri 11.02.2007 7:33 pm

RE: jus sanguinis or jus soli.

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 12.12.2007 12:45 pm

Japan is jus sanguinis. And it wasn't all that long ago that Japanese citizenship could only be passed through a Japanese father.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

RE: jus sanguinis or jus soli.

Postby AJBryant » Wed 12.12.2007 12:52 pm

They changed that?

About damned time.


Tony
User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Location: Indiana
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: jus sanguinis or jus soli.

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Wed 12.12.2007 1:00 pm

I kinda thought it would be jus sanguinis, seeing how the Japanese put a lot of importance on family.
User avatar
guitarplayer7694
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri 11.02.2007 7:33 pm

RE: jus sanguinis or jus soli.

Postby keatonatron » Thu 12.13.2007 5:09 am

There are many people of Korean descent who have lived and worked in Japan for 3 or 4 generations, and even though they only speak Japanese and hardly retain any of their Korean heritage, they are still officially foreigners -- they even have to register like the rest of us!
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: jus sanguinis or jus soli.

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 12.13.2007 8:56 am

guitarplayer7694 wrote:
I kinda thought it would be jus sanguinis, seeing how the Japanese put a lot of importance on family.


I believe that most of the world is jus sanguinis. Wikipedia tells us that very few nations take the jus soli approach.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Fri 12.14.2007 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

RE: jus sanguinis or jus soli.

Postby keatonatron » Thu 12.13.2007 9:17 am

Mike Cash wrote:
I believe that most of the world is jus sanguinis. Wikipedia tells us that [url]very few nations[/url] take the jus soli approach.


According to your link, wikipedia tells us nothing. :(
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

RE: jus sanguinis or jus soli.

Postby coco » Thu 12.13.2007 11:26 am

keatonatron wrote:
There are many people of Korean descent who have lived and worked in Japan for 3 or 4 generations, and even though they only speak Japanese and hardly retain any of their Korean heritage, they are still officially foreigners -- they even have to register like the rest of us!

They are called 特別永住者 ( a special permanent resident, not only korean), and it is not the same as general foreign residents. Some of them have been getting tax exemptions, it depends on the discretion of each municipality. Of course they can become Japanese citizens (get Japanese nationality) if they want to do so, and some of them did so. It depends on their policies.
coco
 
Posts: 3061
Joined: Mon 05.30.2005 12:43 am
Location: 東京都
Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

RE: jus sanguinis or jus soli.

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 12.14.2007 8:41 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
I believe that most of the world is jus sanguinis. Wikipedia tells us that [url]very few nations[/url] take the jus soli approach.


According to your link, wikipedia tells us nothing. :(


Fixed.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English


Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests