Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Planning First Trip to Japan.

Planning First Trip to Japan.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Planning First Trip to Japan.

Postby latenight2736 » Sat 12.15.2007 9:21 pm

When I traveled over this past summer the best places to stay turned out to be Japanese Ryokan, or basically traditional inns. I still have the handbook for the group of Ryokan that work together. All I remember is that it was called the Japanese-Inn Guide and was really helpful. The rooms have tatami mats and usually turn out to be much cheaper than western hotels.

As far as where to travel, I agree that Kyoto is a must. It is not a large overwhelming city like tokyo and probably has the most sites to see. In 2.5 days I saw:

Kiyomizudera
Ginkakuji
Kinkakuji
Sanjusangendo
Heianjinju
Ryoanji

those were all amazing places and really fun. If you have time go to nara just to see Todaiji, the largest Wooden Building in the world that happens to contain the largest Buddha statue in japan. I went to many places and my favorite atmosphere was in Osaka. It seemed a little more hip, for lack of a better word, than other places. Of course Tokyo will never dissapoint. Have fun.

EDIT: budget-wise I spent around $1500 for two weeks of travelling plus airfare. We also rented a car, which turned out a little extra so you might spend less.
Last edited by latenight2736 on Sat 12.15.2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no hesitation, go for it!
latenight2736

Postby Xuande » Sat 12.15.2007 11:49 pm

So does $2000 airfare included sound about right for a 2 week stay in Japan or should I save up a little more? Also, would it be better to stay in 1 hotel/inns the whole time or is it best to stay at different ones if you're traveling to different parts of Japan? And thanks for the suggestions on where to go.
Xuande

Postby m_ » Sun 12.16.2007 2:47 am

Hi all, I hope to travel to Tokyo around maybe Feb next year. Where can I find information on cheap accomodation e.g. ryokans?

I also heard that cabs in Japan are very expensive. Where can I find more information about the trains system?
m_

Postby Ken Pro » Sun 12.16.2007 3:25 am

Xuande wrote:
So does $2000 airfare included sound about right for a 2 week stay in Japan or should I save up a little more? Also, would it be better to stay in 1 hotel/inns the whole time or is it best to stay at different ones if you're traveling to different parts of Japan? And thanks for the suggestions on where to go.

$1000 per week in Japan, including air fare, is a good formula for a less-than-a-month visit.

Sticking to one hotel is good for a first visit, but it may tie you down if you like to go exploring. When I go back to Tokyo, I won't tie myself to one place so much. But Kyoto was great with just one hotel. It's quite a walkable city.
Ken Pro

Postby Xuande » Sun 12.16.2007 4:07 am

I think I'll stay at Kyoto first but I do like exploring so I think I might end up dong something like staying in Kyoto for the first week then maybe Tokyo the second week.
Xuande

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 12.16.2007 6:25 am

Xuande wrote:
I think I'll stay at Kyoto first but I do like exploring so I think I might end up dong something like staying in Kyoto for the first week then maybe Tokyo the second week.

You may want to give serious thought to changing hotels, then.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan