Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji help

Kanji help

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Kanji help

Postby Moshisama » Sat 10.01.2005 10:48 pm

I know hiragana and katakana and I know sonme grammer stuff and by reading the fourms I've noticed alot of people learn both kanji and the grammer together. Well I guess you could say I've been putting off the kanji because I've been having some trouble with it. If anyone has a suggestion to help me learn my kanji it would be greatly appericated:)
the penguins are coming...no one is safe

七日 seven days..lol
Moshisama

RE: Kanji help

Postby mandolin » Sat 10.01.2005 11:50 pm

There's lots of threads on tips to learn kanji... but I'll try to sum it up briefly from my perspective:

1. Kanji does seem difficult, but it isn't really that bad. Keep a positive attitude. Any difficulty is in the sheer -number- of kanji, not really in learning each one.

2. Get a textbook. No website is going to really be able to replace having something you can carry with you.

That's about it in a nutshell. I personally recommend a book called "Kanji and Kana". I got my copy at barnes and noble for $20 USD.

The reason I like this book is because each kanji it introduces has example kanji compound words that -only- use other kanji that were listed previously in the book.

For me, this has eliminated my frustration because I like to write things to learn them, and if a book throws a kanji at me that I don't know how to write, I have to go look it up before I can learn that compound. :/

Hope this helps. There's no real short cut to learning kanji... but I combine it with learning vocab because... well, essentially kanji IS most of the words in japanese, and I honestly felt that learning vocabulary in kana only then replacing it later with kanji would be... inefficient.

But.. that's just me. :)
mandolin

Postby Daisuke » Sun 10.02.2005 11:15 am

mandolin wrote:
1. Kanji does seem difficult, but it isn't really that bad. Keep a positive attitude. Any difficulty is in the sheer -number- of kanji, not really in learning each one.

Comepletely right. The positive attitude is very important, never tell yourself how hard kanji are, take them as a fun challenge instead. It is fun to learn kanji, and i tell you, you feel really smart when you begin to read them.. ^.^
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Moshisama » Sun 10.02.2005 11:46 am

lol yea, But let me tell you I fell smart just by being able to read the kana. Well I get my allowance soon so I'll run up to barnes and noble and see what they've got, although mine doesnt seem to carry much in the way of japanese learning books and such. well I'm gonna try learning kanji so..wish me luck. :D
the penguins are coming...no one is safe

七日 seven days..lol
Moshisama

Postby Binsento » Sun 10.02.2005 1:50 pm

I bought these a while back ago:
http://www.thejapanshop.net/kfc1.htm
They're really awesome and helpful.
The thing with kanji is that it seems like a neverending story.
During studying them your mind keeps saying (there are too many, it's impossible!)
That sucks.
Binsento

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips