Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - DS Games

DS Games

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

DS Games

Postby Xerani » Sat 04.21.2007 3:46 pm

Well, I've often seen people ask what level they need to be to read manga or watch anime without translations, but I recently got to play the Japanese version of the new Pokemon and I noticed it was all in kana!

Is this common for games aimed at children? And the overly asked... what level of language skill would you need for lets say... 80% comprehension? Do you know of any other DS games that might be easier than pokemon?

Thanks in advanced. =)
Xerani

RE: DS Games

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 04.21.2007 5:29 pm

Is it literally in all kana? That's pretty rare for modern games but I guess if they really want to aim it at young children they might use all kana.

There's no good answer for "what level of language skill" because even defining "levels of language skill" is very hard.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Valatunda » Sat 04.21.2007 7:18 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Is it literally in all kana? That's pretty rare for modern games but I guess if they really want to aim it at young children they might use all kana.

I own Pokémon Diamond and for what I have seen it is all in kana. Even the kanji on the game case has furigana.

Xerani wrote:
Do you know of any other DS games that might be easier than pokemon?

I think that is hard to judge. What one person finds difficult, another might find easy and vice versa. Nevertheless, you could always try Nintendogs or Animal Crossing.

Then again, if what you meant was easier on a reading level, then any game with hardly any text like New Super Mario Bros. would be good. I do not think that game has too much text in it.
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby Kurasho » Tue 12.18.2007 3:17 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Is it literally in all kana? That's pretty rare for modern games

Does that mean that alot of early games were entirely in kana?
I've played some of the early "Ys" games in the NES & noticed that most of them were entirely in kana, didn't know why..
Kurasho

Postby kayuu » Tue 12.18.2007 5:16 am

Earlier games seem to be all in kana (at least from my experience). I expect they were mostly in Kana because it was hard to put something in unicode in that small a cartridge - in terms of filesizes (the times were not always so modern as now), and/or the screen resolution was too small (talking about GB/GBC/GBA) to be able to fit legible Kanji into the dialogue boxes (at least from a child's perspective).
Last edited by kayuu on Tue 12.18.2007 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
kayuu

Postby Igirisu_gaz » Tue 12.18.2007 6:15 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:

Nintendo tend to do it for their games targetted at younger audiences. The latest Mario Party on the Wii was also entirely in kana rather than the traditional easier kanji complete with furigana.
何でやねん?
Igirisu_gaz

Postby Adriano » Tue 12.18.2007 7:31 am

だからRESIDENT EVIL最高ってば! :P
Adriano

Skype chat: adrianojapan2008
Native language: Portuguese

Postby saraLynne » Tue 12.18.2007 11:55 am

kayuu wrote:
I expect they were mostly in Kana because it was hard to put something in unicode in that small a cartridge - in terms of filesizes

Actually, it was because the graphics resolutions were too low to properly display complex characters. Only extremely common kanji tended to be used. File sizes were less of a problem for the Japanese than for English users.

In localization, dialogue usually ended up very watered down because English translations took up more space.
saraLynne

Postby kayuu » Tue 12.18.2007 12:37 pm

saraLynne wrote:
kayuu wrote:
I expect they were mostly in Kana because it was hard to put something in unicode in that small a cartridge - in terms of filesizes

Actually, it was because the graphics resolutions were too low to properly display complex characters. Only extremely common kanji tended to be used. File sizes were less of a problem for the Japanese than for English users.

In localization, dialogue usually ended up very watered down because English translations took up more space.

I did mention the resolution thing, never thought about the English translations taking up more space.
kayuu

Re: DS Games

Postby Riza » Fri 03.21.2008 1:57 pm

I have the M3 DS Real, which allow me to play not-legal games, I only play the ones I can't buy, such as the japanese one, or the most expensive ones.

I wanted to know the name of that game that teach us how to write in japanese. Does any of you know?
Riza

Native language: portuguese

Postby jenl » Sat 03.22.2008 2:38 pm

ゼルダの伝説 夢幻の砂時計 (Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass) has a neat little trick where if you tap the kanji it pops up with the reading.

http://naruhodojapan.blogspot.com/ is a blog devoted to Kanji DS games. It has reviews for pretty much every DS kanji game in existence. Quite a number of them are better for testing what you know than learning new things, although I've found Kanken DS quite helpful.

And it's pretty easy to buy Japanese versions of DS games over the internet - just use a site like PlayAsia, they ship pretty much anywhere. Asking about illegal copies here is a big no-no. If you're pressed for cash, try keeping an eye on Ebay - every now and again something comes up.
jenl

Postby Sairana » Sat 03.22.2008 6:06 pm

Riza wrote:I have the M3 DS Real, which allow me to play not-legal games, I only play the ones I can't buy, such as the japanese one, or the most expensive ones.

I wanted to know the name of that game that teach us how to write in japanese. Does any of you know?

... the DS is region free, you can play any DS game on any DS, regardless of country of origin. If you paid extra for a "hacked" DS, you got ripped off.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Clochi » Fri 04.11.2008 2:18 pm

Clochi

Return to Games