Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Resources for Children

Resources for Children

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Resources for Children

Postby yankumi » Sun 10.02.2005 2:06 am

Can anyone recommend good books for teaching Japanese to children? I have First Thousand Words in Japanese which is a good start for just working on vocabulary, but other things would be great.
yankumi

RE: Resources for Children

Postby Cherie061403 » Sun 10.02.2005 2:18 pm

HI Donna,
I've been having the same problem. I purchased Lets Learn Japanese (picture dictionary) and International baby Japanese (dvd). Teaches songs and some vocabulary. I have also purchased a few Kodomo Challenge videos from Ebay. They are Japanese childrens programs. What I really want is Muzzy Japanese, however they're still working on it. They do have a Japanese vocabulary program available for like $100. But it's not really what we want. I would be interested to hear some ideas as well.
How old is your child? My daughter is 2 years old. And she knows a lot of vocab and basic commands. She loves to watch Azumanga Daioh. But I want something more specifically for children her age & produced to teach the language. She absorbs everything like a sponge right now so time is precious. ^_^
Cherie061403

Postby yankumi » Sun 10.02.2005 10:23 pm

My daughters are 2 and 7. They like Azumanga Daioh as well 8-) So is there going to be a new Muzzy Japanese? We tried the one Muzzy already has--our library had it--but it was quite dull, just reciting vocabulary. I would like to actually find some Japanese primers, of the sort children would have in first grade with simple repetive sentences. I did pick up some old ones from the 1960's by chance on ebay but would like to get more.
yankumi

Postby Cherie061403 » Fri 10.07.2005 1:11 am

You should do a search for "kodomo challenge" They are fun. But probably not for your 7 year old. ^_^
Cherie061403

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips