Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese Punk/ Hardcore

Japanese Punk/ Hardcore

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Japanese Punk/ Hardcore

Postby revolutionary » Wed 12.19.2007 5:14 am

Ok, I haven't been by the forum in a long while, but it looks like the trip to Japan that I thought would never happen may actually happen.

When I was in high school, we had a Japanese exchange student stay with us. Well, this coming year, a group of kids from my old school is going to Japan in March, and the group coordinator called to ask me to be a chaperon. I told her I would if I could get the funds together.

Here's the thing. I'm a huge fan of oldschool punk and hardcore, and I've had the pleasure of coming across some really good Japanese bands (Crow, Zone, The Fourth International, Best Run Fast, etc.) Fell in love with the stuff.

We're going to be in Fukuoka, and as a chaperon, most of my nights are going to be free time. How's the music scene out there? Wiki has me thinking it's pretty strong (as far as pop goes). Any ideas on where I could catch a good live show? I'd love to see some of the local bands and get out there in the pit. I know it's not really a common request, but I'm dying to know. Thanks in advance, please don't make too much fun of me. =P
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

RE: Japanese Punk/ Hardcore

Postby revolutionary » Fri 12.21.2007 3:21 am

Dang. I figured you guys probably wouldn't know/care. Could you maybe refer me to a place I could get information on things like that?
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

Postby Dehitay » Fri 12.21.2007 10:20 am

I personally don't know either the answer to your question or exactly where to find it. But I'm still going to recomment trying google if you haven't already. It never ceases to amaze me how useful that search engine is sometimes

Also, as a side note, not every user visits every sub-forum. Personally I don't visit the Japanese Movies and Music sub-forum, but the people who do are probly better suited to answer the question
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby revolutionary » Fri 12.21.2007 3:35 pm

Hmm. Maybe. I just tried here because I was asking more about a physical location in Japan (Fukuoka) that I could visit as opposed to finding out about just the music.

These kinds of things are really hard to find through google. Shows like these (if it's similar to the US at all) you have to be in the area and just happen to hear about it. I'll head over to that forum, though and take a look around. I bet it's all jpop and whoever that Gackt guy is.
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.21.2007 3:49 pm

jpunk is so niche that I am not sure if even our friends who live there would know about it.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby revolutionary » Fri 12.21.2007 4:14 pm

As I thought. I'm sure after a few nights of stalking the streets I'll be able to find something, but I don't want to waste my time when I should be chaperoning kids. Somehow I don't feel that at 20 years old I really qualify as much of an adult, though.

Thanks, everyone.
Last edited by revolutionary on Fri 12.21.2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

Postby Orcrist » Fri 12.21.2007 5:30 pm

http://www.fukuoka-now.com/index.php

There might be some usefull information for you aswell on that site. I haven't been able to find much information about life in Fukuoka myself, probably because it's not a very common place to go to for foreigners (not that it's uncommon, just not common enough to have tons of sites on the web providing information).
If your Japanese level is high enough I suggest searching for Japanese sites.
Orcrist

Native language: Dutch

Re: Japanese Punk/ Hardcore

Postby Instant Radical » Wed 10.22.2008 4:44 pm

Check out http://www.keikaku.net for stuff on Japanese indie/punk bands.

Some artists I like that are fairly punk-ish:

Number Girl
bloodthirsty butchers
Going Steady/Ging Nang Boyz
Eastern Youth
Beyonds
fOUL
Husking Bee
FOE
Instant Radical

Re: Japanese Punk/ Hardcore

Postby sushi4ever » Fri 10.24.2008 8:56 am

Wow. You necroposted a thread that was nearly one year old. :|
(Last post December 2007)

And since it was limited in time, your response was fairly unnecessary.

But please feel free to stop by the FAQ/Rules and the Japanese Movies and Music subforum :wink:
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan