Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Christmas Chicken

Christmas Chicken

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Christmas Chicken

Postby keatonatron » Mon 12.24.2007 5:57 am

This is one Japanese tradition that I have a hard time understanding.

Today I walked by KFC, and there was a huge line down to the end of the street of people waiting to buy their fried chicken for Christmas; all of them, by the way, had reserved their chicken in advance. In the window of KFC there were boxes of fried chicken LITERALLY pilled to the ceiling waiting to be distributed.

For the past few days, convenience stores have been having big specials on their convenience-store brand fried chicken (think "7-11 hot dog"), and it's the only item that they allow you to reserve in preparation for the holidays. Many convenience stores set up special tables outside on the sidewalk for the sole purpose of selling fried chicken.

Even Lotteria had a stand set up in the train station by my house (actually IN the station!) selling fried chicken.

So, what's the deal with everyone needing fried chicken for Christmas? I do know some people think we eat chicken instead of turkey on thanksgiving... maybe everyone saw the images of the grand Christmas goose and thought it was one big not-yet-fried chicken?

By the way, there is also a pretty strong tradition of al Christmas cake that seems just as 当たり前 to Christmas as birthday cakes do to birthdays. But the cakes aren't nearly as advertised as the chicken.

Last edited by keatonatron on Mon 12.24.2007 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Native language: English

RE: Christmas Chicken

Postby everdream » Mon 12.24.2007 6:00 am

"At home, the kinds of Christmas dinner dishes change slightly year-by-year, but usually roast chicken or fried chicken and a Christmas cake are included. In fact, KFC restaurants around Japan get very busy on Christmas Eve. Instead of cooking a whole chicken, cooking chicken thigh is common in Japan. Lately, pizza has also become a popular food to eat on the Christmas Eve."
Japanese Christmas Lunch
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby Shirasagi » Mon 12.24.2007 9:47 am

It pisses me off, because invariably I'll have a taste for fried chicken, then remember it's impossible to get. Just today it slipped my mind that it was Christmas Eve, went to the KFC at the local AEON, and had to face a long line and no regular ordering for another two hours. And I just think, "Why?! Why must everybody eat Kentucky Fried Chicken of all things for Christmas dinner?"
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby Orcrist » Mon 12.24.2007 10:27 am

The exotic Far East, people stuffing their face with KFC on Christmas Eve.. *sigh*
Orcrist

Native language: Dutch

Postby Kagemaru » Mon 12.24.2007 11:17 am

I've yet to figure out on all aspects the meaning of Christmas to Japanese people....
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby Shirasagi » Mon 12.24.2007 12:02 pm

Kagemaru wrote:
I've yet to figure out on all aspects the meaning of Christmas to Japanese people....

Basically, toys, sales, chicken, and sex.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Mon 12.24.2007 12:51 pm

Shirasagi wrote:
Kagemaru wrote:

Dude, I'm down for that. I'm totally moving to Japan just for Christmas next year!

(Just kidding, obviously xD)
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby AJBryant » Mon 12.24.2007 1:26 pm

Very clever marketing on the part of KFC Japan. Christmas turkey easily converts to another bird...

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby tanuki » Mon 12.24.2007 2:56 pm

Shirasagi wrote:
Kagemaru wrote:

Sex?
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Orcrist » Mon 12.24.2007 4:07 pm

tanuki wrote:
Shirasagi wrote:
Kagemaru wrote:

Sex?

It's considered more of a "couple holiday", so I can see sex being one of the main aspects of a Japanese christmas.

Not that I have any problems with the Japanese interpretation of christmas, that's all there is to it anyway. To me christmas is nothing more than "decorate a tree and eat turkey with the whole family day". I just wish they had some Japanese exotic midwinter fest that would beat the crap out of the christmas atmosphere, rather than having them adopt the christmas atmosphere whilst eating fastfood.
Orcrist

Postby doinkies » Mon 12.24.2007 4:09 pm

New Year's is traditionally considered more of a family holiday than Christmas.
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 12.24.2007 4:56 pm

I had a guy at work ask me about a week ago about Christmas, wondering if I was looking forward to my Christmas KFC.

He seemed sort of shocked when I told him that eating KFC at Christmas was a strictly Japanese thing and a brilliant marketing job. That and Christmas cakes.

And for young single females not having a date to take you to a hotel and bang you on Christmas Eve is sort of the equivalent of an American girl not having a date for the prom.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Orcrist » Mon 12.24.2007 5:04 pm

doinkies wrote:
New Year's is traditionally considered more of a family holiday than Christmas.

Now that you mention it, New Year's celebration is Japan's kickass midwinter fest of course. Completely forgot about it, so people can ignore my previous post.
Orcrist

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 12.24.2007 8:05 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
And for young single females not having a date to take you to a hotel and bang you on Christmas Eve is sort of the equivalent of an American girl not having a date for the prom.

And the worst thing the guy can do on the Christmas date is not book the Love Hotel room in advance, and end up driving around looking for vacancy.

For Christmas night and Eve, hotels usually fill up a month or so in advance. :/
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby BrianM » Tue 12.25.2007 12:01 am

I love KFC, haven't had it in years but it was good. Although it's probably the same as in Portugal, they have some KFC's there......although i don't know if they eat it for x-mas.
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan