Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - stereotypes.

stereotypes.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: stereotypes.

Postby Shirasagi » Mon 12.24.2007 6:38 pm

I-samu wrote:
Shirasagi wrote:
People who have not been to Japan, please do not encourage stereotypes of Japanese stereotypes.

And for God's sake, Matthew Minami isn't representing a stereotype! :o

I am half Japanese, been to Japan, and talked to my Japanese family and have heard things. Just repeating what I've heard.

Obviously my post doesn't apply to you then.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby Kuri » Mon 12.24.2007 7:01 pm

I hear Americans have shorter intestines and measure pregnancy wrong.
Hey, so like I\'m not good at formal stuff. Gimme a break, okay
Kuri

Postby Hatori » Tue 12.25.2007 12:23 am

Everybody is fat.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby Jumpman » Tue 12.25.2007 8:20 pm

Last edited by Jumpman on Tue 12.25.2007 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need some money for Japanese learning material?
Check my blog for advice on how to get money with little to no effort.
Jumpman

Postby Tesu » Wed 12.26.2007 1:31 am

Hatori wrote:
Everybody is fat.

This isn't a stereotype, its the truth!

;)
Tesu

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Wed 12.26.2007 12:47 pm

Tesu wrote:
Hatori wrote:
Everybody is fat.

This isn't a stereotype, its the truth!

;)

14 male and 130lbs thank you very much.
guitarplayer7694

Postby gfunk » Wed 12.26.2007 9:50 pm

According to Fox News (not that they're 100% reliable in any way but... ) 75 Percent of U.S. Adults Will Be Overweight by 2015. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288967,00.html

And according to CNN...
OBESITY Percent overweight

Men Women U.S. 19.9% 24.9%, Japan 1.8% 2.6%
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/ ... /index.htm

Stereotypes should be taken for what they are, idiosyncrasies of a certain demographic... thus a certain truth is conveyed in them.
gfunk

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Wed 12.26.2007 10:09 pm

Shirasagi wrote:
People who have not been to Japan, please do not encourage stereotypes of Japanese stereotypes.

And for God's sake, Matthew Minami isn't representing a stereotype! :o

Why not talk about stereotypes? I don't see why people get so upset... like for example, I'm an overweight college girl who goes to an all girls school. Stereotypically I should be completely out of shape, a desperate lesbian/bisexual hooker, and an extreme liberal/feminist. I'm actually none of those things.

I think people who believe 100% in stereotypes are fools, but talking about them isn't a bad thing.

And I used Matthew as an example. He may or may not have intended this, but I have heard from many people who have been to Japan that there is a stereotype exactly like Matthew's character.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Shirasagi » Wed 12.26.2007 11:34 pm

prep_girl_Nessa wrote:
Why not talk about stereotypes?

Talk about stereotypes all you like. My point is that you (and others who haven't been to Japan) are not qualified to talk about stereotypes in Japan. All you do is confuse the issue. Matthew Minami being a perfect example.

And I used Matthew as an example. He may or may not have intended this, but I have heard from many people who have been to Japan that there is a stereotype exactly like Matthew's character.

And now you're hearing from someone who lives there, speaks the language, has come to face-to-face with the stereotypes that do exist, and I'm telling you Matthew Minami is not one of them. First of all, he's essentially the broad gay character that Fujii Takashi originally played, as a Japanese person, with his Japanese name. The use of the name "Matthew" and the blond wig are just to separate that character and Fujii (who has very publicly married the very cute former gravure idol Otoha), and to provide for over the top character bits, like being the son of an English count's daughter and a Japanese cellist. He doesn't hit any of the usual comedic characteristics for gaijin - no big nose, no goofy intonation, not even dramatic exclamations of "オーマイゴッド". In fact, his supposed "English" heritage is played for comedic contrast against his encyclopedic knowledge of '80s Japanese idol song choreography.

A stereotype is ": something conforming to a fixed or general pattern; especially : a standardized mental picture that is held in common by members of a group and that represents an oversimplified opinion, prejudiced attitude, or uncritical judgment". Let me tell you, Matthew Minami is not standardized in anyway, and his image is not held in common among Japanese people as what foreigners are like. At least not the Japanese people I know.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan