Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hermes Brand

Hermes Brand

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Hermes Brand

Postby Hatori » Fri 12.28.2007 2:09 am

Hello! As I was watching a movie called Densha Otoko, they talk about Hermes cups and purses. From what I gathered from the film... They're sort of like the equivalent of Coach purses or fine China in America created by this company. I also assumed it must be expensive.
I was wondering if you have any Hermes products and if Hermes purses are the hot items for women.
Thanks for reading! :D
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

RE: Hermes Brand

Postby Dominiku » Fri 12.28.2007 2:15 am

hello there. why yes. Hermes purses are the new "thing". It is just recently coming on the American scene, so not too many people, besides the somewhat wealthy, would know about it. I predict however that early in the new year, Hermes items will be gaining more popularity.

http://www.Hermes.com

theres the site if you haven't already seen it.

hope i helped.
Dominiku

Postby sushi4ever » Fri 12.28.2007 6:12 am

hermes is already very well-know throughout europe and yes, the stuff IS expensive.

so, hermes bags and such the likes are equivalent to the still ever-so-popular louis vuitton bags in japan.

(and boy, most of the stuff is butt-ugly imo, lol)
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Postby NocturnalOcean » Fri 12.28.2007 6:24 am

sushi4ever wrote:
hermes is already very well-know throughout europe and yes, the stuff IS expensive.

so, hermes bags and such the likes are equivalent to the still ever-so-popular louis vuitton bags in japan.

It is insane. Like all girls here in Japan have that bag... And the ironic thing is that in France, from what I have heard from some French people, only some old ladies use that bag.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.28.2007 10:07 am

fashion has never really been about how nice something looks, but rather how much someone spent on the item in question.

Take the fashion clothes designers. Who in their right mind would actually buy those crazy outfits? Well, someone who has more money than sense and would wear it once and never touch it again.
two_heads_talking

Postby sushi4ever » Fri 12.28.2007 10:25 am

NocturnalOcean wrote:
sushi4ever wrote:

It is insane. Like all girls here in Japan have that bag... And the ironic thing is that in France, from what I have heard from some French people, only some old ladies use that bag.

exactly XD
even here in germany, LV and Hermès stuff isn't seen so often (mostly on mature rich ladies).

what really strikes me as disturbing is the fact that most of the japanese fashion victims actually find them pretty O.o

as for me, i couldn't care less how much sth costs, it has to LOOK good, lol

but yeah, japanese girls/women are pushing it over the edge with their aboslute fanatism for branded stuff.
sushi4ever

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.28.2007 12:09 pm

Well the Japanese obviously aren't the only ones. lol. But one thing I noticed while I lived in Japan. If someone does something, whether it be sports, fitness, building cars, speed skating, kendo, etc., they always do it to a level of extreme that I have never seen before or since.
two_heads_talking

Postby jenl » Fri 12.28.2007 5:19 pm

Hermes is more of an old-lady thing in the UK, as well.

The one that is really different in status in the UK opposed to anywhere else is Burberry. It used to be a very upmarket brand over here, but because of the huge numbers of cheap fakes swamping the market and their popularity with chavs it got a bad reputation. The only thing keeping the company going is that it's still popular overseas.
jenl

Postby katafei » Fri 12.28.2007 5:51 pm

^_^
I don't know what you guys call 'old ladies', but I had never heard of 'Hermes' before watching 電車の男 either.

(for reference, I do know 'Wedgewood' and 'Limoge' ^_^)
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby jenl » Fri 12.28.2007 5:59 pm

'Old' is always about twenty-five to thirty years older than I am, so the definition is constantly subject to change. ;)
jenl

Postby Hatori » Fri 12.28.2007 11:43 pm

sushi4ever, I'm taking German right now, and just one Euro is way over one US dollar. It scares me.

Hermes for old people... It being popular to the young in Japan is something very unusual. In the US I think the hottest thing is Coach. I'm not going to waste my money on one of them, but I was able to snag a fake Louie for $2. :p :D
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 12.29.2007 10:57 am

katafei wrote:
^_^
I don't know what you guys call 'old ladies', but I had never heard of 'Hermes' before watching 電車の男 either.

(for reference, I do know 'Wedgewood' and 'Limoge' ^_^)

old to me is over 50.. however, the closer I get to that number the more I realize that I am approaching old. lol :D
two_heads_talking

Postby sushi4ever » Sat 12.29.2007 1:19 pm

Hatori wrote:
sushi4ever, I'm taking German right now, and just one Euro is way over one US dollar. It scares me.

you should indeed be afraid, with that financial power, europe will take over the world! XD

aaaand back to topic:

i only consider people old when they ACT old, there are over-50s who're way too cool to be considered "old" ^___^

and here in my *cough* village *cough*, there are people who're not even 30 and act like their life's already over ._.
sushi4ever

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 12.29.2007 2:36 pm

I don't factor "coolness" into age. if that were the case, I know a lot of teenagers that aren't cool and would therefore be old.. and that hardly makes sense to me..
two_heads_talking

Postby sushi4ever » Sat 12.29.2007 3:49 pm

agh, "cool" may have been the wrong word, sorry.
hmm, how to get my point across better...

they're simply not acting their age, they feel younger, so imo they ARE not "old".

i once worked with a woman who was like over 50 and had a daughter who was as old as me. we always had a great time and the age gap has never been an issue.

what i was trying to say: there is a difference between being old by age and being old by mind.

(i should drink more coffee before daring to visit a forum, lol)
sushi4ever

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan