Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How Long did it take you to learn Hiragana?

How Long did it take you to learn Hiragana?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: How Long did it take you to learn Hiragana?

Postby Kurasho » Sat 12.15.2007 11:10 am

CelticNinja wrote:
Hello everybody.

I've been studying Japanese for nearly three weeks (twenty days exactly) and have almost gotted through all the Hiragana. I am really enjoying it. I learn a new row every few days or whenever I am pretty certain I all the characters I am currently working with are pretty much branded in my head. Everyday in my note book I wirte each character till the end of the line , then so on and so forth on the next line.

I was just wondering how long it took you to learn Hiragana? Alot of people seem to be able to do it in a matter of days which is pretty amazing. :o

Approximately a week for both, but it took me about 2 months to really master them. Indeed , they're very fun to learn when you're still new. I started learning the 2 systems 9 months ago , everytime I learn a new word I write it in a notebook over & over in hiragana , that really helps in memorizing.
Kurasho

Postby everdream » Sat 12.15.2007 12:02 pm

It took me about a day or to. At least to learn to read them. (I bought a dictionary, with only kana, so I had to suck it up and go for it. Every five seconds I was flipping to the back to look at the hiragana chart)
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby nabilahforever » Mon 12.17.2007 7:06 am

About a week. Practise makes perfect. I took a few hours to learn japanese. And now,i can read hiragana much faster. Hehe. :D
Stop talking as if u know me..-YUI
nabilahforever

Postby kitamichibi » Mon 12.17.2007 8:29 am

About four days. Katakana was harder though....
私は弱虫です[わたしはよわむしです]
kitamichibi

Postby miho-sempai » Mon 12.17.2007 12:21 pm

Hehh... lesseee... hiragana I read and write fairly okay-ish, but my brain likes to fart and mess up my stroke orders. ><;;; Stupid brain. That took me... I have no idea how long. Because I started studying them one time a few years ago for probably a few weeks and only got through like... ten or twenty of them before getting distracted by school. A few months ago, when I started studying somewhat seriously, it took me only a week to learn Hiragana because I remembered most of the symbols by sight. So that was nicer.

Katakana... I dislike it because I can't read it yet. ><;; I'm working on it, though, squeezing it in with holiday fun. B) Eventually I'll learn it all. I can read probably ten or fifteen of them. Oh well.
miho-sempai

Native language: English

Postby Shoj_Blade » Fri 12.28.2007 11:13 pm

Even though I already knew one or two of the characters beforehand ("no" and "a", IIRC), it only took a few days.
Shoj_Blade

Postby Tesu » Wed 01.02.2008 4:30 am

I'm really suprised at the people saying it took them more than a week. For learning just to read Hiragana symbols it didn't take me long at all, few days at most. Of course getting to the point where you can read them quickly takes far longer (I can read them quickly now, but I expect I can still get quite a lot faster yet)

Katakana I just picked up when living in Japan without ever studying it. I've never tried writing them, but I think I can except for the less common ones. I always forget ヌ for example >.<
Tesu

Postby atreya » Wed 01.02.2008 5:13 am

Took me around a week to memorise Hiragana and Katakana. And took me a few more weeks to start reading at a reasonable pace.
atreya

Postby Nobby » Mon 01.07.2008 5:49 am

I learned Hiragana (Learned recognising them but not writing them)

in little over 45 minutes.

This website's section for learning Hiragana was the best I've ever seen. repetition is the main part !
You learn five through the repeating "game" of it, then move onto another five... go back... get them all right, move onto the other five you did etc.

I found I learned Hiragana way too quick compared to others, but I never mastered Katakana until I actually went to Japan and was reading it everyday.
I loved Japan and it Killed me to Leave !
Nobby

Postby sushi4ever » Mon 01.07.2008 10:44 am

Nobby wrote:
I learned Hiragana (Learned recognising them but not writing them)

in little over 45 minutes.

and how long did it take you to be able to write them and/or produce them on your own? because that's the real "learning" ;)
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion