Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What have you gained?

What have you gained?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

What have you gained?

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Mon 12.31.2007 1:37 am

What has any one reading this gained from learning Japanese, and has knowing Japanese ever benifited you in life?
guitarplayer7694

RE: What have you gained?

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 12.31.2007 1:49 am

If I could not speak Japanese I would not be able to perform my job, be able to buy food for my family, send my wife to school or communicate with my family or the people around me.

So yeah. The benefits are pretty big.

The better question is, "what have I gained from speaking english?" ;)
I can read posts on the TJP. :D
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Mon 12.31.2007 1:54 am

I thought about putting the "besides living in japan" clause in there but i couldn't make it sound right.
guitarplayer7694

Postby TrashTreasurer » Mon 12.31.2007 2:13 am

While it takes longer to reap the benefits than I'd like (I'm around beginning genki II level), I am able to play most new video games way before their release here in the states, and save a lot of money on the older ones that had more limited print runs for the american release (panzer dragoon saga, for example). Also, manga in Japanese seems to be much much much cheaper than going to the bookstore and buying the english versions. It's nice to slowly plow through those games and manga, slowly learning a few things and exercising what japanese I've learned with my Nintendo DS dictionary at hand.

The best part is that I'm only going to get better with continued study, and the feeling of understanding and utilizing all the little things I already do understand is so gratifying that it makes further study addictive and fun.

EDIT: I realized that I foolishly left out some important things with a little more depth than entertainment. In my town, we have a Honda plant being built, which has caused a lot of Japanese to move here. It's so great to be able to have little and simple conversations with said people, which would have been impossible without studying the language, obviously. Also, if I reach a near-fluent or fluent level by the time the plant is built, it may increase my chances of ending up with a career there.

Of course, the big deal is being able to visit Japan itself and get around and have conversations. I haven't done this yet, but I hope to be able to have deep conversations and maybe even make friends with some natives if I ever do visit or move there. Well, this has become a rant, which is hard for me to avoid because I've loved the country of Japan and it's language for many years and it's exciting for me to have learned as much as I have.
Last edited by TrashTreasurer on Mon 12.31.2007 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby Tesu » Mon 12.31.2007 6:54 am

TrashTreasurer wrote:
While it takes longer to reap the benefits than I'd like (I'm around beginning genki II level), I am able to play most new video games way before their release here in the states

Surely at that level (JLPT lv4 or something?) You can't really play a Japanese game and understand it properly though. It's only really helpful for being able to select はい instead of いいえ I would have thought....?

If you have no plans on ever living in Japan I don't really see any point spending time learning it though. It's not useful outside of Japan, and you can't (easily) get to a level of fluency required to enjoy their Anime/Manga/Games whatever without being able to practice speaking with natives.

For me my standard of living is much higher here since I can communicate a bit better, and life is beginning to improve even more now having found a non english speaking girlfriend and more native japanese friends :)

Without wanting to upset anyone, if I was in the UK with no plans on ever coming to Japan then I certainly wouldn't bother spending the time studying Japanese.
Tesu

Postby TrashTreasurer » Mon 12.31.2007 7:29 am

I think you forget us crazy people who just love languages and get a thrill out of the whole learning process. I spent about 5 years learning French, and have only spent 2 weeks of my life in France. Despite that, every day I read the news in French, and have a subscription to Paris Match. Did I waste my time learning the language? I really don't feel I did. I had so much fun learning it, and it's amazing using it, even in a "useless" fashion.

Also, I'm not sure how genki levels compare to jlpt levels, but I don't have terrible troubles finding out what I'm responding to with "hai" or "iie". It might take longer than I'd like, and not quite as seamless as if I were reading English, of course...but it is my hope that it gets better with time. I'm not sure if this is an argument, I'm not angry or anything, I just felt like I had to explain myself further after your comments.

p.s. I can't figure out for the life of me how to input japanese text. I installed the IME and can therefore read it, but don't know how to input it, hence the quoted romaji I hate using.
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby Groccoli » Mon 12.31.2007 2:18 pm

TrashTreasurer wrote:
...I installed the IME and can therefore read it, but don't know how to input it, hence the quoted romaji I hate using.

I hate romaji too. See the FAQ for instructions. If that doesn't work, try the link they suggest there.
Groccoli

Postby Shirasagi » Mon 12.31.2007 4:54 pm

guitarplayer7694 wrote:
What has any one reading this gained from learning Japanese, and has knowing Japanese ever benifited you in life?

New neural pathways that enable me to experience the world from a different perspective from my native American English.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby Hatori » Mon 12.31.2007 5:41 pm

I've gained the power to understand some of the Japanese manga I own. :p
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 12.31.2007 6:14 pm

My job and future career depend on Japanese, so the main thing it's given me is a paycheck.

I also play Japanese video games.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby keatonatron » Mon 12.31.2007 6:17 pm

Over the course of my studies I've learned a lot about linguistics and, in particular, English. It's impossible to understand certain things about your own language without learning "how they do it" in another language. I can't really say specifically how this comes as a benefit, but I think it makes one smarter and more "worldly".

For example, before studying Japanese, it never occurred to me that the pronunciation of I (or eye), which we consider one sound, is actually made up of "awe" and "ee".

Also, when trying to express your ideas which were originally formed with English idioms and ways of expression, you have to think about what it really means and what you are really trying to say. Of course if you are studying Japanese without a conversation partner, this part of the experience may be lost.

(This post was made at 7am after a night of new-years revelries. Sleep sold seperately).
keatonatron

Postby everdream » Mon 12.31.2007 7:11 pm

^ I agree, since taking up Japanese, it has made me question and ponder over certain aspects of English, and has opened my eyes to parts of English which even natives do not understand.

Other than that, as of yet, I haven't really benefited, as I am still too far in the beginning, apart from a couple of DS games which I own (which are all in kana), which I can read and understand some-what. (I admit, they are made for little kids, but, they entertain me none the less)
Last edited by everdream on Mon 12.31.2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby yukamina » Mon 12.31.2007 9:40 pm

The benefit for me is/will be being able to read things like books, manga, games and understanding tv show, music, etc. All that fun stuff. There's really no Japanese people where I live and I'm not in any position to move to a foreign country, but I love studying Japanese. Understanding something in Japanese(or any other language I study) gives me a thrill that English doesn't.
yukamina

Postby I-samu » Wed 01.02.2008 5:26 pm

I couldn't understand or talk to my relatives, and I couldn't talk to my mom in Japanese in front of my sister and dad so they wouldn't know what we are saying :P
[][][][]
I-samu

Postby SinoSamurai » Fri 01.04.2008 6:46 am

i can talk to my Japanese family :D
吾人之魂,古今神勇志士!
中華之魂,乃中華武士道也!
日本武士道之源泉,南宋之武士,
文天祥:人生自古誰無死,留取丹心照汗青!
發揚中華武士道精神,做一名兼具傳統與現代的武士。
東方武士道精神永垂不朽!
改變我一生的電影:《最後的武士》