Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Weight Loss and New Years Resolution Thread

Weight Loss and New Years Resolution Thread

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Weight Loss and New Years Resolution Thread

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Wed 01.02.2008 7:36 pm

I realize this is totally off topic, but because of interest shown in the shoutbox and some PMs I received I thought we could make a thread about this. If the admins decide it's way out of bounds, ya'll can take it down, ok?

So, I guess I'll start off by saying my resolutions:

Short Term - 20 lbs by my Maymester hiking trip to Belize/Guatemala (May 7th).
Long Term - 50 lbs by the end of this year.

I wanna know if anyone else is also going for some weight loss this year. Any information and tips you guys can help us out with is greatly appreciated.

I lost 45 lbs in the past year and a half. If I can do it, I know ya'll can! ^_^

Some noteworthy stuff from the shoutbox:

Tspoonami: The trick to weight loss, and the hardest part, is to not put on weight in the first place.

Jei-kyon: Make sure you balance your proteins and carbs. It's not about starving, it's about eating the right foods as well as exercise. When in doubt, lean towards natural unprocessed foods. (My solution to all the contradicting theories out there.)

Wakannai: It's not so much that the theories are contradictory, but not everyone's body is the same.

Wakannai: The trick is teaching the body to stop hording calories. Exercise and maintaining insulin balance are the key to this.
Wakannai: ... Starvation diets are the worst when it comes to rebounds.

Jei-kyon: And don't keep eating something if it makes you feel like **** afterwards. Ne?

Tesu: Burn more calories than you eat. That's about it really...

sushi4ever: eat carbs in the morning and proteins in the evening and you're good to go. also, take 5hr breaks between meals to prevent drowning in your own insulin!
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

RE: Weight Loss and New Years Resolution Thread

Postby everdream » Wed 01.02.2008 7:45 pm

My resolution is to lose weight too, ideally, I should like to lose about 30 pounds, but, I would be happy with 14.

Obviously, exercise is vital, but make sure it is an exercise you enjoy.
If you enjoy it, you're less likely to give it up.
I used to to things like skipping, but never kept it up, because I got so bored :@
I also think it's a good idea to do weight training, because even if it's only a little, muscle burns more calories than not having it there at all.

And, my last point, a diet change shouldn't be just a diet, it should be a lifestyle change, that way you can help keep off what you lose.
Incorporate healthy foods into your meals, buy lean meat instead of ordinary meat ect.
And, of course, never deny yourself the foods you want, moderation is key though!

Congratulations on losing so much though! And good luck in the future!
Last edited by everdream on Wed 01.02.2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby Dehitay » Wed 01.02.2008 9:24 pm

50 pounds? I'm hoping that's a healthy amount of weight for you to lose. It seems like a lot. But putting that aside...

(actually I wrote half a book here and decided to get rid of it and just give the advice without the reasons behind it)

For pure weight loss
Dieting: Foods I recommend are vegetables (especially green ones), oats, legumes (beans, lentils, tofu, etc), fish, fat free dairy, and lean meat. Some stuff to watch out for is refined sugar, junk food, alcohol, and cheese. If you don't exercise, I suggest staying away from bread and pasta. It's better to eat smaller meals at more intervals than the typical 3 meals a day. In addition, try to get your meals in early in the day and avoid eating around 3 hours before going to sleep. One last thing is to try to keep the carbs near the end of your day limited to vegetables.

Exercise: Aerobic exercise (jogging, biking, etc) is effective as the exercise itself burns a lot of calories. But interval training will boost your metabolism and keep it high for a long while after you finish exercising though it will burn less calories through the actual exercise itself (since it doesn't last as long). Using jogging as an example, I'll go over the process of interval training. 1) Warm up for 5 or 6 minutes at about 40-50% of what you can do. 2) Sprint for 1 minute with 90-100%. 3) Jog for 2 minutes with 60-70%. Repeat steps 2 and 3 till you're ready to finish. 4) Cool down for 3 or 4 minutes at 40-50%. About 3 cycles of sprinting and jogging is good for a beginner.

For reshaping your body
Dieting: Recommendations include everything from the above recommendations as well as eggs, nuts and seeds (highly recommend flax seeds), and berries. For this diet, breads and pastas become things to avoid in addition to what's mentioned above. The above rules also remain the same.

Exercise: In addition to interval training, resistance and flexibility training are used here. For resistance training (weight lifting, push-ups, crunches, etc), there are a few things to keep in mind. A larger number of muscles have counterpart muscles which contract in opposition to them. Make sure to exercise each muscle with it's counter part. If you're going to do crunches, do some exercises to work your back too. If you only work one muscle and not it's counter part, you'll end up tearing up the counter part. Also, don't do resistance training every day. Without rest, you training will only get weaker and you won't really be progressing. Also, always do resistance training before interval training (or plain aerobic training if that's your choice) instead of after. Flexibility training (stretching) is great for keeping your muscles lean and it also allows the body to recover from injuries much faster than normal. Just remember, your body will stretch a lot further after it's been warmed up.

As a fun side note, gaining weight is ironically one of the best ways to lose weight. When you increase your muscle mass, your body will boost your metabolism to help maintain the muscle.

Like I already said, that used to be a heck of a lot longer, but I removed a good deal of information since long posts annoy me. If you have questions about any specific part, ask and I'll explain the reasoning.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Wed 01.02.2008 10:36 pm

Yeah, 50 pounds isn't good to lose for the average person, but since I'm 196 lbs right now it's not such a bad idea ^_^" (Hey, at least I'm not 240 anymore like I used to be lol).

Awesome post, Dehitay, I'm going to try interval training tomorrow when I go for my run, it sounds challenging.

I wanted to post this PM I got from a TJP member, Xaith, because it says a lot of the things I've learned over winter break online. This is definitely a good read!!

First you want to create a calorie deficit for yourself by calculating your maintenance level with something like this: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calcu ... -equation/ and subtracting 500. 3500 calories is roughly a pound so if you eat 500 below your maintenance level every day, you should lose roughly 1lb a week. You want to track what you eat and meals should be split up into 5 or 6 smaller meals every day to keep your body working. Your carb/protein/fat ratios should be something like 40/40/20.(There are plenty of websites which allow you to track your diet and make it easier to calculate macro nutrient rationing.)

You should do some type of compound muscle exercises, like bodyweight squats and pushups (depending on your level of strength and access to a gym benchpress, military press and deadlift are also good), as these types of exercises will speed up your metabolism most and target the largest muscle groups. If you have access to a gym following some type of weight-lifting program would be great. Doing some type of cardio is great but if you put yourself at a caloric deficit of 500, make sure you eat the calories you burn from cardio.

Avoid starvation diets like the plague. Causes your metabolism to slow down and will make you lose a lot of muscle.
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby DaemonForce » Wed 01.02.2008 11:36 pm

To be honest, I find this topic rather frightening. You are either misguided or you are not focusing on what you say you are. Weight is a very absurd target for fitness. Here's something to do:

Ignore the weight.
Ignore calories.
Pay attention to protein/(medium)triglycerides/sugar/water
Make use of your energy.
Tend to the weak parts of your body.
Do not ignore the strong parts of your body.

Fitness is nothing more than making healthy use of your body. If you're really so focused on weight control, you're going to be in a world of hurt depending on what satisfies the target that you set for yourself. Personally I used to pay attention to calories. My target aimed for 4000 cal. I always fell short by about 700. I was thin, my diet consisted primarily of sugar and my weight would idle in the 150-155 lb range. Due to the sugar, I was weak during work hours when lifting 80 lb travel bags around many CTX/L3s. I changed my diet to less sugar and caffeine. From then on I was focused on protein. From then on I didn't become stronger but I didn't tire as easily. Unfortunately, my energy suffered from this. I seem to consume so much sugar that my body now has this huge dependency on it. This is probably why I haven't become diabetic.

Anyhow, I added medium triglycerides to my diet and I started to gain small amounts of muscle. While I agree exercise is the best solution for increasing your metabolic rate(and usually losing weight as a tradeoff), it's not something that primarily determines the shape of your body. If you keep this point in mind, your goal should be clear enough.

I became less physically active a few months ago when starting a new line of work. I didn't gain a few pounds until I stopped eating right. It proves that 80%+ of the health battle starts with your diet. I stand firm on this point.
*post*
DaemonForce

Postby Dehitay » Wed 01.02.2008 11:57 pm

I'll definitely agree that you should just ignore your weight and pay attention to your shape, but I personally think calorie counting can be very advantageous. Actually one thing that doesn't seem that natural is it's actually better to constantly change your caloric intake rather than stabalize it. If you keep your body in chaos as to how much it need to store and how much it needs to burn, it won't be able to effectively store fat.

Also, somebody mentioned the protein-carb-fat ratio. That's a great system, but be careful of one thing. the ratio refers to the calories, not the grams. A gram of fat is 9 calories and a gram of protein/carb is 4 calories. 36 calories can be make from either 4 grams of fat or 9 grams of carbs/proteins.

Oh yeah, one thing DaemonForce briefly mentioned. Water is incredibly important. I would heavily advise against drinking any other liquid except for maybe milk. Water is one of the key ingredients in breaking down fat. It also helps to control hunger.
Last edited by Dehitay on Wed 01.02.2008 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dehitay

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 01.03.2008 1:21 am

I was going to say something similar to Dehitay, but he beat me to it!
I've been dieting for 8 weeks now, and despite overeating over Christmas I've lost over 9 kgs so far. :p I have 12kg to go until I'm at my goal. Sorry to you Americans, but I'm Australian, so talk in kilograms!! ;) I think that 1 pound is 0.45kg, maybe?!

Anyway, this is how I've been losing weight. I greatly increased my vegetable intake. Between meals, I snack on carrots and celery sticks instead of chocolates as I used to. I don't eat any bread, very little rice (this has been hard as I love to cook Japanese food a couple of times a week), no pasta or potatoes ie moderate carbohydrates. I didn't eat mush fruit either, so I've started eating more fruit for mid-morning snack. But there are some fruits high in sugar such as watermelon, banana and apricots which I avoid. The size of each snack is smaller than I used to eat. I limit it to one piece of fruit.... one small apple, or a handful of grapes etc. Even a handful of nuts is ok, but not cashews.. Darn, they're so yumm!!

Dinner for me consists of a small piece of LEAN meat or fish (around 100gm) and salad or cooked vegetables. Breakfast is a meal replacement shake, and lunch either a shake, slimmer bar or slimmer cup of soup.

One of the keys to this program is water, lots of water!! I used to hate drinking water, but when I discovered that not drinking water stops your metabolism, it shocked me into drinking! I drink 2-3 litres per day. This flushes all the toxins away and also makes you feel hungry. If ever you feel hungry and want to grab a chocolate bar, grab a glass of water instead. It works, believe me!!

Someone suggested milk may be ok to drink but actually it's fairly high in carbs, so I avoid it, except for a bit in a cup of coffe twice a day. Other drinks to avoid are soft drinks, even the diet ones. I limit myself to one glass only per day of the diet kind. Better if I have none at all, but I'm in the habit of having a glass with dinner.

Exercise - at the moment I'm not doing much, but i'm still losong weight. :) I walk for 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. I'm not very fit, and don't want to overdo it, so I'm starting slowly. Once my body can handle it, I'm going to build up to jogging and I also plan to start swimming again and join the local tennis club.

Nessa, I wish you luck with your weight loss! Let's encourage each other!
がんばれ!
Last edited by tōkai devotee on Thu 01.03.2008 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby TrashTreasurer » Thu 01.03.2008 5:12 am

I've got a shameless plug and a "oh no, he likes japanese culture and wants to learn the language, how obvious is this one" post all in one go. Basically, three years ago I weighed 310 pounds. Hated it. I got religiously into playing DDR at my local arcade, and eventually got into tournaments, and getting a setup for my house to get as good as I can. Fitness wasn't even a factor, I fell in love with the game and wanted to get as good as I could. Somewhere in there, I became a vegetarian and made a vow to drink at least half a gallon of water every day, with fruit juice becoming something I drank only with meals, never in a glass alone because of thirst. Today, I weigh about 210-220 pounds of so. I'm 6'3. I'm not saying "play DDR and don't eat meat, it's how that's done, man!" But I figured I'd chime in with the story since it worked for me and made me unbelievably happy. Also, it has at least a *little* to do with Japan ;)
Last edited by TrashTreasurer on Thu 01.03.2008 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby everdream » Thu 01.03.2008 6:07 am

^ I tried using DDR to lose weight once too, there is actually a forum dedicated to it. Get up move.
It can be a great areobic exercise, and, I personally find it more fun than jogging or going to the gym. (and, if you buy a cheap mat and game, it is way less expensive than the gym!)
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby TrashTreasurer » Thu 01.03.2008 6:18 am

everdream wrote:
^ I tried using DDR to lose weight once too, there is actually a forum dedicated to it. Get up move.
It can be a great areobic exercise, and, I personally find it more fun than jogging or going to the gym. (and, if you buy a cheap mat and game, it is way less expensive than the gym!)

My favorite part about using DDR for exercise is that the whole exercise factor can be secondary. Most of the time, if you run on a treadmill, it's something you're doing that you really don't really like but just get over with because you want the body and fitness that comes with doing such an activity. For me, DDR is amazingly fun, and it's really easy to forget the benefits being reaped from it. On a treadmill, I'd quit as soon as I was tired because I was getting bored anyway. When I play DDR I'm prone to continue because I don't want it to stop, constantly trying to get better scores and perfect freestyle routines, which means more exercise I don't even feel I'm working for. Gotta love it ;)
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby Hatori » Sat 01.05.2008 1:36 am

My resolution is to be a better dancer/singer for chorus in my school. I didn't make the spring musical because I'm a froshie, and I want to be better than everybody else by the time I'm a senior. This includes my acting, but I need to work on my dancing most.
I also want to try and keep up on learning Japanese while working on my German too.
I want to do well on my exams, which I'm going to work super hard for... and I also want to keep my grades in the 4.0 GPA range, which I'm doing easily.
I just started BFS (bigger, faster, stronger program in my gym class) for body building in October; and by the end of the year, I want to free-squat 200 lbs as for I can squat 125 lbs right now.
Another resolution is to beat the hardest song in DDR on challenge. I can only get trhough 1/4 of it so far before I lose!
I want to improve my tennis skills for singles matches, because I'm only good for doubles when I play involving strategies.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Dehitay » Sat 01.05.2008 2:05 am

The clubs thing reminds me of one more piece of incredibly useful advice. Find a partner to exercise with. Before I joined the soccer team in high school, I was always part of the slowest 3 in gym class. I was incredibly out of shape and didn't have any endurance. I've been playing soccer since I was 7 so I wanted to join the team. I might not have had endurance, but I had good footwork and positioning so I still made a good goalie and fullback. But once I got on the team, we would run 10 times around the field, double file. Any time one of us fell behind, the whole group had to wait for that person to catch up. Thanks to that run as a team thing, my endurance doubled in a week and kept getting stronger.
Dehitay

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Sat 01.05.2008 3:19 am

Dehitay wrote:
The clubs thing reminds me of one more piece of incredibly useful advice. Find a partner to exercise with. Before I joined the soccer team in high school, I was always part of the slowest 3 in gym class. I was incredibly out of shape and didn't have any endurance. I've been playing soccer since I was 7 so I wanted to join the team. I might not have had endurance, but I had good footwork and positioning so I still made a good goalie and fullback. But once I got on the team, we would run 10 times around the field, double file. Any time one of us fell behind, the whole group had to wait for that person to catch up. Thanks to that run as a team thing, my endurance doubled in a week and kept getting stronger.

Sweet. I'm taking an indoor soccer class this semester which I'm totally excited about because I played soccer for 10 years and love it but had to quit when I was 13. I don't know whether it will be the same as a team (depends on how the class is taught, I guess), but I can't wait in either case ^_^
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Return to General off topic