Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Baseball teams

Baseball teams

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Baseball teams

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 01.02.2008 12:01 pm

Then you've always heard wrong. "Tokyo Yomiuri Giants" we could let slide. But "Tokyo Giants" is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

List of teams

How excited do you think you could get rooting for the "Fukuoka Softbank Hawks"? Imagine cheering the "Chicago Verizon Cubs".
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.02.2008 12:07 pm

they are commonly called the Tokyo Giants. but their sponsorship name is the Yomiuri Giants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yomiuri_Giants
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 01.02.2008 12:42 pm

They may commonly be called the Tokyo Giants by foreigners and the foreign press, but I have never once heard them referred to that way by Japanese people or the Japanese media.
Mike Cash

Postby AJBryant » Wed 01.02.2008 1:37 pm

I remember watching a game on TV in a Nagoya izakaya once. I don't recall the other team, but one was, of course, the Chuunichi Dragons. They had a new mascot in the game. It looked rodent-like, and I asked someone why the Chuunichi DRAGONS had a nezumi as a mascot. They laughed, and said it was a Koala. Apparently the Chuunichi zoo (or the Nagoya Zoo, I guess) had just acquired some koalas, and they were really proud of it.

So only in Japan will a team called DRAGONS have a guy in a KOALA suit as a mascot.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.02.2008 1:38 pm

With Hatori being "foreign" and reading "foreign press clippings" it is plain to see why She stated what She thought was what they were called.

I can't remember if I have heard Tokyo Giants while living in Japan. I seem to think I did, but it's been so long, it just might be what I heard on a movie and equated it to hearing it in Japan.

I was only trying to clear up that not everyone is going to know that the Tokyo Giants and the Osaka Tigers is not what they are called inside of Japan.
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Thu 01.03.2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby leergierig » Wed 01.02.2008 3:28 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
With Hatori being "foreign" and reading "foreign press clippings" it is plain to see why he stated what he thought was what they were called.

He? :)

I am girl
leergierig

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.02.2008 3:58 pm

my mistake.. (I fixed my original statement to correct that mistake.)

it's not okay, but I keep getting hatori and dehitay mixed up because they keep using cowboy pictures in their avatars. (If I were to see either of you in REal LIfe, I wouldn't have this identity crisis.. )
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Thu 01.03.2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby Hatori » Wed 01.02.2008 5:36 pm

Mike, thanks for the link. I was looking at the paragraphs below.

THT, that's fine. I was thinking of getting the I am girl link too.

Anyway, are all of the professional ballfields indoors in Japan? Or are there any outside? I was reading that most of them take place in domes, but I didn't see anything about a complete outside stadium.
Last edited by Hatori on Wed 01.02.2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 01.02.2008 9:41 pm

"Most" usually equals "not all", meaning that some are otherwise.
Mike Cash

Postby Shirasagi » Thu 01.03.2008 2:01 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
I was only trying to clear up that not everyone is going to know that the Tokyo Giants and the Osaka Tigers is not what they are called inside of Japan.

I'm with you on the Tokyo Giants (who used to have "Yomiuri" on their home uniforms, but "Tokyo" on their away unis), but the Tigers are never called the Osaka Tigers by anyone. They aren't in Osaka, they're in Kobe. They just have many fans in Osaka.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby gfunk » Thu 01.03.2008 3:18 am

Hatori... (this is semi-out of topic) but please tell me you were watching Anthony Bourdain!! haha, I know exactly what episode you got the baseball thing from. And it is there where they mistakenly call them Tokyo Giants and Osaka Tigers.

But even if he mistook the names, Bourdain is still "coolness" personified.
gfunk

Postby Hatori » Thu 01.03.2008 8:19 pm

gfunk wrote:
Hatori... (this is semi-out of topic) but please tell me you were watching Anthony Bourdain!! haha, I know exactly what episode you got the baseball thing from. And it is there where they mistakenly call them Tokyo Giants and Osaka Tigers.

But even if he mistook the names, Bourdain is still "coolness" personified.

I WATCHED THAT! Sorry about the caps. And no, that's not offtopic. I thought it was hilarious when he looked up,"Yo b1tch," in that slang book.
Also, the bar in the show was very unusual with the fans banging the noise makers in there. I mean, I don't bang stuff when I'm happy. :D I can only imagine that in the stadiums.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan