Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Still can't get it right!

Still can't get it right!

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Still can't get it right!

Postby Dehitay » Mon 01.07.2008 10:43 pm

Arguing about this is pointless. We really need to poll an anime forum.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 01.07.2008 10:59 pm

The thing is, most anime fans have no idea how accurate or inaccurate a subtitling job is. All they can do is listen for the 10-15 key words they know to see if their dictionary definitions appear in the subs, and criticize the English grammar and spelling.

Even when I didn't know Japanese, I found excessive translation notes annoying. I especially hated it when the "translator" (using that word loosely) left words in the original Japanese for no reason.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Wakannai » Mon 01.07.2008 11:13 pm

Dehitay wrote:
Arguing about this is pointless. We really need to poll an anime forum.

See, you totally missed my point. I was talking about it from the writer's perspective. This poll of yours only addresses the audience's perspective.

Besides, Anime isn't the only type of film in a foreign language. Restricting your research to anime nuts is a good way to bias your results. Especially, when said anime nuts usually only know enough Japanese to misunderstand what they think they understand.

I've heard of this example happening in real life, in a court one day.

shimasen deshita ka?
Hai.

Translator. He says he didn't do it.
Anime nut. That translator lied. He said yes, he did it.
Last edited by Wakannai on Mon 01.07.2008 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wakannai

Postby Dehitay » Tue 01.08.2008 1:59 am

What do you mean by 'no reason'? The closest thing I can think of is Kaizoku eventually started leaving 仲間 as nakama. But even then Kaizoku had a reason for it. One of the things I appreciated most is when they live name titles on (not so much now that I can always hear them on my own anyways).

I actually appreciate excessive fansub notes. They usually give a lot more insight that makes the story more entertaining. I couldn't imagine watching Genshiken without the fansub notes now. However, I will admit when they go by so fast that you can't really read them (Excel Saga), it does get annoying and fast.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Previous

Return to General off topic