Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Christmas in Japan.

Christmas in Japan.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Christmas in Japan.

Postby gfunk » Wed 01.09.2008 6:34 pm

Conversely why are Jews so visible and seemingly powerful in the USA?

like richvh was saying:

I don't know what their distribution is now, but traditionally they were concentrated around Nagasaki, which I doubt is a major media center, unlike New York and Los Angeles.

Even inside the United States the reflection of the culture comes from those two cities... maybe a little of Miami too.
gfunk

Postby AJBryant » Wed 01.09.2008 7:22 pm

On the subject of minority religions. Just saw something that said 17 percent of the residents of London are Muslim.

Wow.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 01.09.2008 7:41 pm

Orcrist: I just took a class from Professor Kasulis last quarter on Japanese religion; that's an excellent book.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby chikara » Wed 01.09.2008 7:48 pm

richvh wrote:
.... but traditionally they were concentrated around Nagasaki ...

Which is logical given that the Portuguese Jesuit missionaries and later the Augustinian missionaries were originally based in Nagasaki as it was the main trading port with the west.

AJBryant wrote:
On the subject of minority religions. Just saw something that said 17 percent of the residents of London are Muslim. ...

Most of them are of Pakistani heritage. The "Tube Bombers" were home grown Muslim extremists of Pakistani heritage.

There was a joke here that when you arrive at Heathrow the British immigration official that greets you says "welcome to our lovely country" with a thick Pakistani accent and his head wobbling from side to side.
Last edited by chikara on Wed 01.09.2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 01.09.2008 9:58 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Relative comparison: Jews in America are about 6 million total, making (surprise) about 2 percent of the US population. Amazingly small percentage, no? (More trivia: of that 5.5 million, 2 million of them are in NYC, 600,000 in LA, and 500,000 in Miami.)

In terms of population per capita, Christians in Japan and Jews in America are about on par. So why are Christian so invisible in Japan?

And yet, according to Wikipedia, there are more Jews in America than Israel (even though 98% of Israel is Jewish).

And I don't know about Christians being invisible in Japan. My town has a HUGE number of churches (for Japan anyhow) and I get people coming to my door about once a month trying to convert me. I just point them at my Mezuzah and tell them to go away.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby AJBryant » Thu 01.10.2008 12:05 am

I know one guy who was a Catholic -- had a crucifix mounted in the vestibule, just opposite the front door where people could see it if the door opened. He had it specially mounted, and any time he was visited by JW, Mormon, Baptist (or basically *any* brand) of random missionary visitors, before opening the door he gave the crucifix a 180-degree spin, so the first thing the missionaries saw (other than his smiling face) was an inverted crucifix.

He was a very strange fellow.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Orcrist » Thu 01.10.2008 6:04 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Orcrist: I just took a class from Professor Kasulis last quarter on Japanese religion; that's an excellent book.

Really? I'm jealous! :) I very much enjoyed his book, by far the best text I have found on Shinto.
Orcrist

Native language: Dutch

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 01.10.2008 10:01 am

AJBryant wrote:
I know one guy who was a Catholic -- had a crucifix mounted in the vestibule, just opposite the front door where people could see it if the door opened. He had it specially mounted, and any time he was visited by JW, Mormon, Baptist (or basically *any* brand) of random missionary visitors, before opening the door he gave the crucifix a 180-degree spin, so the first thing the missionaries saw (other than his smiling face) was an inverted crucifix.

He was a very strange fellow.

Tony

Those were the individuals I enjoyed talking to. Once you get passed their "concerns" they usually turn out to be very enjoyable to talk to. Once people realize that I wasn't there to "Bible Bash" but rather discuss things, it was always good for both parties. Sure, I ran into the rather beligerant on a regular basis, but I found most that didn't want to talk were really just fearful of the outcome.
two_heads_talking

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 01.10.2008 10:04 am

chikara wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
I guess it depends on what your definition of large number is.. this comment is very debateable..

I agree, the term "large" is subjective as is the term "significant". Personally I do not consider less than 1% of the population (some may argue it is more than 1% but less than 2%) a large number of people. It could also be argued that a value of less than 1% is not statistically significant.

You are free to hold a differing opinion :)?

That is what a debate usually consists of.. two differing opinions. either one can be right, it just depends on who has the better arguement. lol
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Thu 01.10.2008 12:02 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Those were the individuals I enjoyed talking to. Once you get passed their "concerns" they usually turn out to be very enjoyable to talk to. Once people realize that I wasn't there to "Bible Bash" but rather discuss things, it was always good for both parties. Sure, I ran into the rather beligerant on a regular basis, but I found most that didn't want to talk were really just fearful of the outcome.

I think that was half the appeal. To see who would just totally wig out, while others picked up on "okay, this is weird" and they had a fun talk. He was very soundly theologically based and enjoyed a good debate, but he did have a wicked sense of humor and didn't believe in taking prisoners if the "enemy" foolishly charged straight into the guns without doing a reccy or at least having their eyes open.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan