Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT vs GCSE / A level.

JLPT vs GCSE / A level.

The test - experiences, questions or comments

JLPT vs GCSE / A level.

Postby everdream » Sat 01.12.2008 8:20 pm

I was curious, if out of the three of these, which would look best on a CV.
For those who aren't English (please correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure these tests are Mainly done in England), GCSE is a test taken in high school in almost any subject you please, relying your school offers it (or you can request to do a language one if you speak it), and allows you to move on to A level, which is 6th form level / pre university.

From my research, GCSE is about JLPT 3, and A level about JLPT 2.

If I was to get a job here in England, which would potentual employers find most attractive?
And what about Jobs abroad, EG europe or anywhere else in the world, where GCSE / A level are not very much regonised.
Last edited by everdream on Sat 01.12.2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

RE: JLPT vs GCSE / A level.

Postby hungryhotei » Sat 01.12.2008 8:33 pm

If you have the opportunities to take the GCSEs and A-Levels, especially if your school would pay for them, I suggest you do so.

A Level Japanese is likely to be more useful than even JLPT level 1 for university application. You should also take into consideration that universities and employers in any field other than Japanese won't take as much interest in what level of JLPT you have as how many As you have at A level.

At best the JLPT (at least at below Level 1 anyway) is worth more as proof of extra-curricular activities/interest in Japanese than as real qualifications.
Last edited by hungryhotei on Sat 01.12.2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby everdream » Sat 01.12.2008 8:39 pm

Thanks for answering :D

My school will pay for them as long as I am a student (other wise it's about 120 quid a shot - ouch), So I definatly plan to go for it now, when I am ready.

I was thinking of A evels being better for getting into uni, but I though I read on a univerity's open page that to take japanese there, you need at least JLPT 2. (They mentioned nothing of GCSE or A level, If I recall.)

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby Igirisu_gaz » Sat 01.12.2008 8:50 pm

As I understand it a JLPT qualification would stand in place of a Japanese A-level or GCSE should you wish to take on the subject at university level (owing to a conversation with one of the faculty at the University of Leeds some years back). However, this does not absolve you from meeting the basic A-level requirements.

Interestingly, Japanese is study experience is not a requirement to take most Japanese degree courses in the UK, have a look around, many will simply ask for a foreign language or linguistics based subject, if you take GCSE and A-level Japanese you may well find yourself well ahead of all the other students you start with. I remember meeting one girl at Leeds who had studied for 4 years before going and waltzed through her first year because it was all basic stuff.
何でやねん?
Igirisu_gaz

Postby hungryhotei » Sat 01.12.2008 11:15 pm

everdream wrote:
I was thinking of A evels being better for getting into uni, but I though I read on a univerity's open page that to take japanese there, you need at least JLPT 2. (They mentioned nothing of GCSE or A level, If I recall.)

If you think you might eventually want to do Japanese or Something and Japanese at university, just make sure you do at least one language for A level. As Gaz said, most courses won't expect any knowledge of Japanese, but they will want you do demonstrate aptitude for learning languages, and a language A level is usually a requirement.
Last edited by hungryhotei on Sat 01.12.2008 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby Mavira » Sun 01.13.2008 9:10 am

First off I just want to say thanks, I had no idea you could take a GCSE in Japanese! :)

I learn japanese by myself, and I would like to take the GCSE, I'm in year 10 and had the choice between French or German for a language. In french, we're preparing for our GCSEs next year, but we learn specific things; our teacher tells us what to expect in the tests. We learn to talk about our school, our lessons, magazines etc. Is it the same with The Japanese GCSE?

Because, if that's so, I wouldn't know how to go about learning those sort of things ..... Do you know if there is a way of me learning japanese GCSE material, or will I just have to wait until 6th form (where they do begginers level, which I'll be ahead of by then).

I'm going to ask my teachers about this, but I just wanted your opinions anyway, :)
Thanks in advance,
Emma
Mavira

Postby everdream » Sun 01.13.2008 10:11 am

Emma, the outline for what you need to know / do is the same for all languages (and you can do GCSE in any language, ask your school about it, and they'll help sort it out).
In fact, read this
Page 33 on wards tells you the vocab and Kanji and rubics you need to know, and throughout the whole page, it tells you what you must be able to do at each level.

Just carry on learning like normal.
There are no set grammar rules to know, so just comeplete your textbook course (I know that by finishing genki 2, that leaves you at a good place to do a GCSE)

- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby Mavira » Sun 01.13.2008 11:15 am

Thank you. :)
Mavira

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test