Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Americanization

Americanization

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Americanization

Postby mike_garcia1 » Tue 01.15.2008 8:11 pm

Of course the world is being "americanised". It is the course of gods plan for all of you. All heathens need to be baptised in the name of good ole corporate christianity. A thousand tiny points of light, all convoluting into one vision of the globe, transformed by the grace of christ, by the powers invested in the constitution of the U.S. of A. and our chosen holy conquistador G.Bush Jr.

Will somebody please gag me before this goes on any further...
mike_garcia1

Postby chikara » Tue 01.15.2008 8:32 pm

mike_garcia1 wrote:... Will somebody please gag me before this goes on any further...

I strongly recommend you read item 6 in this post. :o
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 01.15.2008 10:21 pm

How did this get started up again, are dead posts often resurrected? (bit of a pun isn't it)
Last edited by guitarplayer7694 on Tue 01.15.2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guitarplayer7694

Postby chikara » Tue 01.15.2008 11:10 pm

guitarplayer7694 wrote:
How did this get started up again, are dead posts often resurrected? (bit of a pun isn't it)

It is called necroposting (item number 8 in forum etiquette) and a week to a fortnight isn't much of a necropost. The thread was still warm.

There are plenty of people who seem to search up various long dead threads which they necropost when they first join the forums.

Strangely these mostly seem to be manga and anime related ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 01.15.2008 11:58 pm

A fortnight is 14 days right, don't know how often that is used in Australia, its not used much in the U.S and hence my unfamiliarity with it.
guitarplayer7694

Postby chikara » Wed 01.16.2008 12:24 am

guitarplayer7694 wrote:
A fortnight is 14 days right, don't know how often that is used in Australia, its not used much in the U.S and hence my unfamiliarity with it.

Correct. The use of fortnight is very common in Australia and England where people speak English ;) :D

When I was living in the US a girl in the office heard me use the term "fortnight" and said "this isn't Wimbledon you know". :o
chikara

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 01.16.2008 1:15 am

chikara wrote:
When I was living in the US a girl in the office heard me use the term "fortnight" and said "this isn't Wimbledon you know". :o

Yeah, go back to Wimbledon you Tennis-playing hippie. ;)

I first starting using the term fortnight when I was dating a girl who was born a fortnight after me.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby chikara » Wed 01.16.2008 1:25 am

Harisenbon wrote:
Yeah, go back to Wimbledon you Tennis-playing hippie. ;) ....

I'll have you know I'm a surfie not a hippie :D
chikara

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.16.2008 10:54 am

chikara wrote:
guitarplayer7694 wrote:

Correct. The use of fortnight is very common in Australia and England where people speak English ;) :D

yeah fortnight was commonly used in the US back in the 1800's.. I think President Lincoln used it as well as 4score and 7 years ago. blah blah blah.

People don't speak English In Auzzieland. They speak Wendigo and Kangaroo, and the favorite instrument of choice is the dijaridoo..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Re: RE: Americanization

Postby distantsmoke » Wed 11.19.2008 3:59 pm

chikara wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
no more or less than America has been Japanized.

From a non-USAian point of view I would have to disagree. I certainly saw a lot more USA influences in Japan than I have seen Japanese influences in the USA. Unlike your good self however I have not lived long term in either country.

I believe that the influence of the predominately USA occupation forces in Japan post WWII increased the "westernisation" of Japan. As the USA was the major western influence then this "westernisation" appears as "Americanisation".

USA culture is certainly a dominant force in the world and many countries are becoming "Americanised". I often lament at the Americanisation of my own country.

I have lived in both countries. I am an American who has been living in Japan for the past year and a half. Before I left America to come here I was struck by the "invasion" of manga, anime, video games and Japanese food, such as bubble tea and other treats. :D

While in Japan, I have noticed some obvious American influences, but it seems to me that they have maintained their own culture as well. If I picked you up and dropped you in Japan, you would not for one moment mistake it for America, and I'm not talking about the language.

And if I may pass on one pet peeve of mine, If other cultures are becoming "Americanized". I don't see anyone stopping you from expressing your own culture more fully. I don't know what country you are from, but whatever you are lamenting the loss of, maybe you should make a point of engaging in that activity to maintain it. Or make the food, or whatever it is you think you are losing.
distantsmoke

Postby chikara » Wed 11.19.2008 9:57 pm

distantsmoke wrote:
chikara wrote:..... USA culture is certainly a dominant force in the world and many countries are becoming "Americanised". I often lament at the Americanisation of my own country.

....... I don't know what country you are from ....

Sorry I didn't realise you were visually impaired. :roll: ------>>>>>

distantsmoke wrote:..... but whatever you are lamenting the loss of, maybe you should make a point of engaging in that activity to maintain it. Or make the food, or whatever it is you think you are losing.

Errrr, where did I say that I wasn't making every attempt possible to preserve my country's culture. If you had bothered (or is that bovvered :P ) to actually take notice of my post which you quoted you will see a clear resistance to the adoption of American English :evil:

I'll give you a quick lesson in my countries culture. You sir/madam are what is known in this country as a "complete wanker" :mrgreen:
chikara

Postby AJBryant » Sat 11.22.2008 4:29 pm

chikara wrote:You sir/madam are what is known in this country as a "complete wanker" :mrgreen:

Well, better a complete wanker (with a happy ending) than going off half cocked.

So to speak.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan