Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Adding a language requirement to the visa application

Adding a language requirement to the visa application

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Adding a language requirement to the visa application

Postby coco » Tue 01.15.2008 10:24 pm

(Please allow my poor English.)

At the press conference on 15th, the Foreign Minister Komura mentioned that they are going to discuss an additional requirement regarding the Japanese language ability to a foreigner who plans to stay in Japan for long-term.

The aim of introducing the new requirement is to prevent frictions between foreign residents and Japanese community.

In the near future, the foreign Ministry and the Ministry of Justice will create a new investigative committee formed by both section chiefs and discuss this subject.
----
The conference transcription ishere (in Japanese).

BBC news also has reported this.
--
edit: changed a link.
Last edited by coco on Wed 01.16.2008 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

RE: Adding a language requirement to the visa application

Postby Ken Pro » Wed 01.16.2008 12:53 am

"For foreign people living in Japan to be able to speak Japanese is not only important for improving their own quality of life, but also necessary for the Japanese society as a whole," Komura told a news conference.

Little whiff of neo-national blowhardiness there.
Ken Pro

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 01.16.2008 1:13 am

Ken Pro wrote:
"For foreign people living in Japan to be able to speak Japanese is not only important for improving their own quality of life, but also necessary for the Japanese society as a whole," Komura told a news conference.

How so? Do you think it is a good thing for people living in a country to not be able to speak the language?
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Ken Pro » Wed 01.16.2008 1:33 am

I agree with the first part of the Foreign Minister's quote, that knowing Japanese is beneficial to all living in Japan. However, I am disturbed by the second part, which asserts that knowing Japanese is "necessary for Japanese society as a whole."

Who gets to say what is "necessary" for Japanese society, in cultural terms? Neo-conservatives, that's who. They always know what's best for the nation.
Last edited by Ken Pro on Wed 01.16.2008 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Pro

Postby Wakannai » Wed 01.16.2008 1:57 am

I have to say, It really annoys me all of the immigrants--illegal or not--that are in the US that can't speak English. We really need to pass a measure declaring a national language.

I've no problem at all tolerating lack of English ability it in a tourist or in a language exchange student, but I've no use whatsoever for someone that goes to another country intending to stay there for a long period of time but won't bother to learn the language.

You also need to watch yourself when you criticize others for wanting to better their country "because they always know what's best". Stepping up on a pedestal and declaring your point of view is better than someone else's is no different.
Wakannai

Postby chikara » Wed 01.16.2008 2:01 am

Ken Pro wrote:
I think people should be able to choose what language they wish to speak, and that governments should not be forcing people to speak a certain language in order to live in a certain country.....

It is not just Japan that has language requirements for visas.

The language requirements for an Australian visa (other than tourist or business) are;

... You must have functional English which is the basic language skills necessary to deal with everyday social situations and some work situations in English.

Higher visa application charges may apply to those who do not have a functional level of English....

So you must have a functional level of Englishh but don't worry if you don't we'll just charge you a higher application fee. Now that makes sense. :o
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby chikara » Wed 01.16.2008 2:02 am

Wakannai wrote:
I have to say, It really annoys me all of the immigrants--illegal or not--that are in the US that can't speak English. We really need to pass a measure declaring a national language ....

Spanish?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby Wakannai » Wed 01.16.2008 2:14 am

I'd hardly say that Spanish is the only language this applies to. I just think that we should make no accommodations whatsoever for long term residents that don't know English.

If You're a tourist, or exchange worker or student, then you should have liasons to handle the language barier, at the very least, the origin country's embassy should be able to assign someone. But it is every Adult's responsibility to be responsible for their own affairs. That is what being an Adult is, not simply passing some chronological milestone. Long term residents that fail their responsibilities are not contributing members of society, they are parasites.

What do you do when a mosquito lands on your arm? Yea, me too.
Last edited by Wakannai on Wed 01.16.2008 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wakannai

Postby chikara » Wed 01.16.2008 3:05 am

Wakannai wrote:
I'd hardly say that Spanish is the only language this applies to. ....

I was suggesting that Spanish should be made the official langauge. ;)
chikara

Postby keatonatron » Wed 01.16.2008 3:34 am

I think the Foreign Minister's sentiment is just fine. If a non-Japanese-speaking foreigner approaches a police officer with some emergency, can't communicate what's wrong, and ends up dying before making it to the hospital, who will look bad? The dead foreigner or the police officer who fails at protecting those in need?

Knowing Japanese culture, the policeman would most likely resign in shame due to his lack of English/Spanish/Arabic ability, even though we wouldn't expect him to be able to speak any of them.

What about when another non-Japanese-speaking foreigner tries to open a bank account but gets angry because he can't read the application form and all the employees just shake their heads and make a cross with their arms when he asks them to translate it for him? If he happened to be an Arudou Debito fan, he'd probably ask for the manager's head on a platter! (笑)

Trying to stop cultural diversity is one thing, but trying to keep your society moving smoothly is fine. They aren't saying people can't speak any language other than Japanese, they just want the relationship to be mutually beneficial by being able to help foreigners with public services while also having foreigners able to help the public if the need arises (just like average citizens).
Last edited by keatonatron on Wed 01.16.2008 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby coco » Wed 01.16.2008 3:40 am

Ken Pro wrote:
However, I am disturbed by the second part, which asserts that knowing Japanese is "necessary for Japanese society as a whole."

Who gets to say what is "necessary" for Japanese society, in cultural terms? Neo-conservatives, that's who. They always know what's best for the nation.

I wonder if there is a country that creates a new committee to discuss an unnecessary subject for their society.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Wakannai » Wed 01.16.2008 4:19 am

Of course there is. In america we have committees for everything!
Wakannai

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 01.16.2008 5:09 am

Ken Pro wrote:
However, I am disturbed by the second part, which asserts that knowing Japanese is "necessary for Japanese society as a whole."

Are you saying that knowing Japanese is not necessary for Japanese society? I really have no idea why you're so put off by this. If you live in Japan and cannot speak enough Japanesse to survive there, then you are causing a problem both for yourself and those that must then go out of their way to accomidate you and your laziness.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby john2 » Wed 01.16.2008 5:22 am

Harisenbon wrote:
Ken Pro wrote:

How so? Do you think it is a good thing for people living in a country to not be able to speak the language?

I think is a good thing for people living in a country to be able to speak the language.

Alsio the law,, it's probalby the japanese law most beneficial to forigners,
Last edited by john2 on Wed 01.16.2008 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
john2

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 01.16.2008 6:16 am

By the time a person has been here long enough to apply for permanent residency, I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect him to have achieved some degree of functionality in the Japanese language. Further, I think they should have to show some degree of having made an effort to assimilate. Multiculturalism is destructive hogwash.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan