Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 今日は

今日は

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

今日は

Postby 100PercentWeasel » Wed 01.16.2008 5:11 am

今日は仕事がありませんでした!友達の家に行きました、たくさんひまでしたから。あそんで食べて話しました。とってもあたらしいでした。後で京子さんのお父さんをきましたから僕を帰りました。母は家になきっていりました。知人をしんでからかなしいでした。父はおこりました。あの人を知らない、かわいそだといっていました。まじめなと思いましたけど... 僕たちは会話をしました。今でも母はかなしいです。

今日はよくなかったです。

--------

and there be my horrible attempt. Corrections, advice, questions welcome. I'm thinking I could have connected the sentences better somehow to make it less lame but I couldn't think of/know of a proper method. *wonders if its even close to understandable*
There is none more cunning than the weasel.
100PercentWeasel

RE: 今日は

Postby spin13 » Wed 01.16.2008 8:55 am

I recommend that you look into a few things, listed in order of importance. The first two are necessary to learn now and will fix obvious mistakes in your composition. The latter two are useful to clarify your meaning, but can wait a little while you work on other things.

1. Transitive (他動詞) and intransitive (自動詞) verbs. 来る, 帰る, 死ぬ, 知る are all 自動詞 and cannot take objects even if their English counterparts might.

2. If you meant to say that your mother entered the house crying (なきっていりました), you should check the conjugation of godan (五段) verbs, in this case ending with く (sometimes notated v5k). If that wasn't what you meant, then I have no idea what you were going for.

3. Adjective (形容詞) inflection and politeness levels. あたらしいでした isn't correct, nor is inflecting 新しい to the past exactly common. I'm also not sure what you are trying to say is new, but that's a different concern.

4. 〜たりする would likely more accurately describe what you did at Kyoko's house, unless you really did mean to say that you hung out, then ate, and then talked (in that order).

5. The 〜てきた construction might also be useful, in this case with 行く in 友達の家に行く.

-Eric

ps- Congratulations on writing 今日は and actually meaning 今日は (I think). You have won yourself the above reply. However, note that you have been fined 50% of your potential prize for having written 今日は as your thread subject, which is terribly undescriptive. 'Cause that's how I roll.
Last edited by spin13 on Wed 01.16.2008 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Wed 01.16.2008 1:18 pm

spin13 wrote:
1. Transitive (他動詞) and intransitive (自動詞) verbs. 来る, 帰る, 死ぬ, 知る are all 自動詞 and cannot take objects even if their English counterparts might.

Since when is 知る a 自動詞?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby 100PercentWeasel » Wed 01.16.2008 5:45 pm

spin13 wrote:

What does this mean? Example?

3. Adjective (形容詞) inflection and politeness levels. あたらしいでした isn't correct, nor is inflecting 新しい to the past exactly common. I'm also not sure what you are trying to say is new, but that's a different concern.

Heh, I meant たのしいい. Out right wrong word lol. たのしかった desu is still necessary though right?

4. 〜たりする would likely more accurately describe what you did at Kyoko's house, unless you really did mean to say that you hung out, then ate, and then talked (in that order).

たり as in "such things as" ?

5. The 〜てきた construction might also be useful, in this case with 行く in 友達の家に行く.

This I don't understand what you mean. Ive never come across that construction so I don't know what you mean. Link?

-Eric

ps- Congratulations on writing 今日は and actually meaning 今日は (I think). You have won yourself the above reply. However, note that you have been fined 50% of your potential prize for having written 今日は as your thread subject, which is terribly undescriptive. 'Cause that's how I roll.

Wow, your whole reply seemed pretty harsh and this confirms it. This forum is for practicing so unless you picked this out from the hot topic side bar it really shouldn't matter what my topic title is. You have earned yourself 13% of my gratitude.
100PercentWeasel

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.16.2008 6:24 pm

100PercentWeasel wrote:
spin13 wrote:

Wow, your whole reply seemed pretty harsh and this confirms it. This forum is for practicing so unless you picked this out from the hot topic side bar it really shouldn't matter what my topic title is. You have earned yourself 13% of my gratitude.

rofl.. spin just got pwnt..
two_heads_talking

Postby hungryhotei » Wed 01.16.2008 6:40 pm

I agree with Spin. Not only does 今日は not really give us any idea what this thread is going to be about, but also I think a lot of people are going to read it as こんにちは and just ignore it thinking it's an introduction thread. I know I almost did.

Such a generic title will also make it much harder to find this thread again once it moves out of the newest thread box if we need to.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Postby chikara » Wed 01.16.2008 8:01 pm

I saw 今日は as the thread topic in the "Newest Threads" side bar and expected to be taken to the Introductions forum and see 5 replies berating the "newbie's" use of 今日は instead of こんにちは.

It was good to see that the OP actually meant きょうは :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby kevinnwhat » Wed 01.16.2008 9:02 pm

Intranstive/transitives verbs. Basically some verbs change when YOU specifically do the action, or the action happens on it. check this out for a list of common ones,
http://www.tofugu.com/2007/07/28/transi ... using-yes/

Example - (taken from http://www.guidetojapanese.org/transtype.html, credits to him not me)

(5) 誰が窓を開けた?- Who opened the window?
(6) 窓がどうして開いた?- Why has the window opened?

btw 100%wheasel can you give us a translation in english of what you were trying to say?
Last edited by kevinnwhat on Wed 01.16.2008 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinnwhat

Postby kevinnwhat » Wed 01.16.2008 9:06 pm

from my experiences, almost everysingle japanese person i have seen (like writing) when they wanted to say "Konnichi wa" As in hello, they type it in hiragana as こんにちは, whenever i see 今日は its pretty much always means "kyouwa" or today..i..
kevinnwhat

Postby chikara » Wed 01.16.2008 9:50 pm

But newbies to the study of Japanese on these forums don't tend to be "japanese person".
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby kevinnwhat » Wed 01.16.2008 10:22 pm

chikara wrote:
But newbies to the study of Japanese on these forums don't tend to be "japanese person".

true i agree with you, i apologize for getting a little ahead :P Now that i think of when i first learned japanese, i actually did think the same thing.
kevinnwhat

Postby 100PercentWeasel » Thu 01.17.2008 12:51 am

kevinnwhat wrote:
btw 100%wheasel can you give us a translation in english of what you were trying to say?

今日は仕事がありませんでした!友達の家に行きました、たくさんひまでしたから。あそんで食べて話しました。とってもあたらしいでした。後で京子さんのお父さんをきましたから僕を帰りました。母は家になきっていりました。知人をしんでからかなしいでした。父はおこりました。あの人を知らない、かわいそだといっていました。まじめなと思いましたけど... 僕たちは会話をしました。今でも母はかなしいです。

今日はよくなかったです。

I didn't have work today! Since I had alot of free time I went to my friends house. We hung out, ate and chatted. It was alot of fun. Later on, Kyoko's father came home so I went home. Mom was home and crying. She was sad because an acquaintance died. Dad was getting angry. He said it was pathetic because she didn't even know that person. I think he was serious... We talked about it. Mom is still sad though.

Today wasn't a good day.

I have atarashii as tanoshii. I made this up using a few new words and kanji I had recently memorized just to help keep'm in. I've never tried to say more than a sentence in Japanese and I know my grammar sucks like all hell, so I wanted to know how bad exactly. Apparently, VERY badly. My japanese friend lies to me, or at least exaggerates how i'm "not that bad". I'm having trouble learning new grammatical constructions without a class. I graduated highschool and haven't had a sensei for awhile now...
100PercentWeasel

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 01.17.2008 9:32 am

I have seen native speakers use 今日は for こんにちは, and when I asked them about it they didn't seem to think there was anything unusual or strange about writing it that way. This has kind of turned into a TJP shibboleth but I'm not sure it's really as absolute as everyone makes it out to be.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby spin13 » Thu 01.17.2008 9:47 am

richvh wrote:
Since when is 知る a 自動詞?

Damnit, Rich, I come on here hoping to fix my mistake before anybody notices it and you have to go and blow the whole thing. Thanks. Thanks a lot.

I'll admit that I smacked myself in the head when I read a sentence that used を知る today, as it immediately brought to mind my aforementioned absentmindedness. OK, so that never actually happened, because violence doesn't solve anything, but I did chastise myself with a slight chuckle and a wry smile.

100PercentWeasel wrote:

Dude, I totally see your 13% and I raise you one 100 weasels.

-Eric
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)