Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Things to read...

Things to read...

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Things to read...

Postby gyuunyuu luvr » Fri 01.18.2008 2:07 am

I been using Genki and I want a reader but I can't find any so is there a website to practice basic Japanese reading skills for a nube. Thnx in advance :p
MMMMmm. milk
gyuunyuu luvr

RE: Things to read...

Postby arbalest71 » Fri 01.18.2008 2:30 am

There are two books that I would strongly recommend. They are "Breaking Into Japanese Literature" and "Read Real Japanese". Both are available from Amazon. Both have parallel English text, though they differ in how it is presented.

Neither will be easy if you have only recently begun studying Japanese. I got both within a few months of starting to study, and they were beyond my ability at that point, but I puzzled over them, taking an hour per page in some cases, and rereading them over and over. I found them very useful, but they made my head hurt ;). I also knew a lot of the kanji already from having studied Chinese, but I think anyone with a basic knowledge of Japanese could benefit from them, if they were mainly interested in improving their ability to read, and were willing to work hard at them, and take an aspirin every once in a while.
arbalest71

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 01.18.2008 10:32 am

I like how you expect us to recommend you reading material but you give us essentially no clue whatsoever as to what your Japanese ability is.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby katafei » Fri 01.18.2008 10:44 am

I think 'nube' stands for 'newbie'?

there are several bilingual blogs online.
Of course, I'm not sure how accurate the Japanese is, but it's a fun read anyway:
yukey

or Japanese only:
mikawa.
On Mikawasan's blog, there are more links to bilingual blogs.
Open a dict in another window, and presto.

Oh, and Yuki's story on this forum is wonderful read as well.
If you check this link, you'll find Rich added some great reading sites.
Last edited by katafei on Fri 01.18.2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby Mikawa Ossan » Fri 01.18.2008 7:54 pm

there are several bilingual blogs online.
Of course, I'm not sure how accurate the Japanese is, but it's a fun read anyway:
yukey

This blog is done by a native Japanese speaker, so the Japanese on it is the real deal. B) Feel free to correct her English on it, though! I think she'd like that, actually.

or Japanese only:
mikawa.
On Mikawasan's blog, there are more links to bilingual blogs.
Open a dict in another window, and presto.
Hey, thanks for the link! You can click on the "English" button on the upper right hand corner of the blog, too, but....let's jsut say that is there mostly for entertainment purposes. (I love online translating software! :p)
Mikawa Ossan

Postby katafei » Sat 01.19.2008 8:30 am

Well, I'll be...
It's a small 世界, isn't it?
I've only recently started reading your blog, but I do like it.
Just now went to the first page for the first time and this tells me I have to put some effort into combining names and sexes :D
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby Mikawa Ossan » Thu 01.24.2008 8:44 am

You thought I was a woman? Hahaha! That's funny!

If you read the profile on the upper right part of the blog, you can see where the name "Mikawa Ossan" comes from. Incidentally, it has nothing to do with my real name... ;)
Mikawa Ossan

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)