Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Languages

Languages

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Languages

Postby NeoUmbra » Fri 01.18.2008 12:43 pm

First off im not sure if this in the correct section. Sorry if it isnt.

I am currently learning Japanese and i want to keep learning it. I recently went and visited my family and alot of them are from italy and speak italian and i would love to learn it so i could speak with them and one day visit their home towns etc.

I was wondering if it is possible to learn 2 languages at once, that arnt related in anyway ?
NeoUmbra

RE: Languages

Postby everdream » Fri 01.18.2008 1:12 pm

Of course it is.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby Kagemaru » Fri 01.18.2008 4:06 pm

Hmmm....

I'm going to treat this as a real question, despite my burning desire to answer this brusquely.

Neo, would you mind please telling me why it isn't possible?
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby kayuu » Fri 01.18.2008 4:50 pm

I've learnt Dutch and Japanese at the same time, and French and German at the same time and been fine - it's how our schooling system worked during compulsory years, so of course it's possible :P

You just have to remember that it takes a lot of time and effort to become fluent in a language so don't expect it to happen overnight, and don't be surprised if you end up saying Japanese words in Italian sentences or visa versa on occasion (I know I've said 'J'ai une hund' enough times)
kayuu

Native language: 英語

Postby katafei » Fri 01.18.2008 5:47 pm

You learned Dutch in England? At school? Was this high school?
すごい
In Holland we get taught multiple languages at school. It can be up to 4 at the same time, I think. *)
I didn't know Dutch was offered as a possibility in England.
I thought it was only French and maybe the odd student taking German....

edit:
*) not taking Latin and Ancient Greek into account.
Last edited by katafei on Fri 01.18.2008 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby everdream » Fri 01.18.2008 5:56 pm

^ My school makes us do French and German.
Then later, we can do spanish and mandarin and buisiness german.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 01.18.2008 5:56 pm

It's possible, but it's not easy -- then again, learning any language (especially Japanese!) isn't easy.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby NeoUmbra » Fri 01.18.2008 11:36 pm

Kagemaru wrote:
Hmmm....

I'm going to treat this as a real question, despite my burning desire to answer this brusquely.

Neo, would you mind please telling me why it isn't possible?

I was thinking it might be hard learning 2 at once because you might mix words or get confused with sentence structures etc.

That a good enough answer?
NeoUmbra

Postby Kdar » Sat 01.19.2008 1:55 am

Well, if languages are not resemble each other, I think it will be fine.
Of course, mix ups probably will exist..
Last edited by Kdar on Sat 01.19.2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kdar

Postby NZJutsu » Sat 01.19.2008 2:04 am

Korean and Japanese, now that's hard to learn simultaneously ;)
NZJutsu

Postby katafei » Sat 01.19.2008 8:38 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
It's possible, but it's not easy -- then again, learning any language (especially Japanese!) isn't easy.

It's possible, esp. for young people.
In Holland, (depending on the level of education of course, but let's say pre-university level) English, French and German are compulsory the first three years. After that, the student can drop French and German.
In my days (back in the Dark Ages) there was talk about offering Spanish as an option and I think now most schools do. Mandarin is the next candidate...

Whether or not someone can learn two languages at the same time is very personal. But if you have a knack for it, it shouldn't be that much of a problem.
Last edited by katafei on Sat 01.19.2008 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Re: Languages

Postby john2 » Tue 05.20.2008 6:16 pm

I think I get a real f for effort, hmm i'll try to do better.
I want to reach native level in an asian language at-least, Oo::.
john2

Postby Xurma » Mon 06.23.2008 3:34 pm

Italian isn't as complicated as japanese so why not tag along an easier language and learn both simultaneously? Of course some small mix-ups may happen but they're not a big deal once you get used to both languages, but remember, confidence is the key to learning languages.

Off topic: About mixing up two languages, happened with me when I was studying japanese alot and also had to study compulsory swedish (compulsory swedish ftl), I accidentally made a language which I gave the name: Swepanese.
Like: Jag heter Xurma desu, watashi no bilen är grön et cetera. :roll:
Xurma

Postby Energies » Tue 06.24.2008 7:04 pm

Possible, however motivation and discipline is needed. Currently I'm learning German and Spanish, and now I am at the beginning of learning Japanese. Ganbatte

Mata ne!
Energies

Postby furrykef » Sat 07.05.2008 12:20 am

I'm nearly fluent in written Spanish -- spoken Spanish is difficult unless spoken slowly -- and I'm studying Japanese. I've been doing Heisig together with Spanish for a long time now, but I'm finally finishing Heisig. (I've been "finishing Heisig" for ages, but now I'm actually doing it -- only 148 kanji to go. It's difficult to stay motivated through Heisig, but I know I'll be motivated enough to study the language proper.) I also want to learn Italian, but I decided it's better to wait until I achieve fluency in Spanish and finish working my way through most of those "learn Spanish" books that I have sitting around. That'll take a bit of time, but I'm doing it slowly but surely.

One thing to consider is how much you intend to learn a particular language. Learning 2000 words of a language and learning it to native-like status are two very different things. You can learn 2000 words of a lot of languages, but you'll probably only ever learn only two or three to native-like fluency because achieving that level requires more work than just language study, but also immersing yourself in the culture.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Next

Return to General off topic