Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Are Japanese Open Minded to.....

Are Japanese Open Minded to.....

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Are Japanese Open Minded to.....

Postby Daichi » Wed 08.24.2005 7:00 am

Inexactitude wrote:
Regarding Hagakure, it must be remembered that this writing is just a few men's interpertations of the code of Bushido.

That is true, the Hagakure is of made up of the quotations of Tsunetomo alone, so it isn't possible to say whether his observations were typical of the period.
Daichi

Postby Inexactitude » Thu 08.25.2005 4:24 am

Actually, most historians consider his views extremely radical for the time they were written (approx. 1700).
Inexactitude

Postby Daichi » Thu 08.25.2005 7:27 am

Inexactitude wrote:
Actually, most historians consider his views extremely radical for the time they were written (approx. 1700).

Sorry, I should have said "it isn't possible for ME to say.."!

I'm not going to argue with historians!
Daichi

Postby Kingstonian » Tue 10.04.2005 1:31 pm

to cut a long story short

Homosexuality is unnatural and that makes it wrong in the greater majority of the human population's mind (Japan, USA etc)....i could go on more but I might come across wrong.

Is same sex inetrcourse illegal in japan?.....it is in my country
Jamaipanese.com - Jamaica + Japan
Kingstonian

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 10.04.2005 8:47 pm

. . .

Just to counter a point, Homosexuality occurs in nature as well as in human society. There's nothing unnatural about it. It would be like saying that albinos are unnatural.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby torgosaves » Tue 10.04.2005 9:03 pm

You are exactly right Harisenbon.
ブログに行って下さい。http://aoutain.blogspot.com/
torgosaves

Postby skrhgh3b » Thu 10.06.2005 12:14 am

i think american and japanese attitudes towards homosexuality, on the whole, are more similar than not. or, at least that has been my personal experience. but it's also strange to think about that. after all, our culture's insecurity with homosexuality is deeply rooted in a puritan interpretation of the judeo-christian bible. before christianity, western culture, whose roots primiarily lie in ancient greece, was an overtly homosexual culture. and on that note, sappho of lesbos was my kind of woman... but i digress. so, what are the roots of japan's insecurity with homosexuality? is it simply the fear a majority has of a minority it doesn't understand? that seems to be a pretty universal characteristic of human nature.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby skrhgh3b » Thu 10.06.2005 12:21 am

Harisenbon wrote:
. . .

Just to counter a point, Homosexuality occurs in nature as well as in human society. There's nothing unnatural about it. It would be like saying that albinos are unnatural.

that's an excellent counter-point. every sexual scenario imaginable is found in nature. who here hasn't had their leg humped by a pup in heat? i wish i could say, "me."
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby Hiro » Thu 10.06.2005 1:24 am

Harisenbon wrote:
. . .

Harisenbon-san, you are absolutely correct. However, regarding some other peoples' comments, one cannot deny the fact that different cultures do in fact treat homosexuality differently. Even the policies of Canada and the United States are vastly contrasting on this subject; for example, Canada allows gays and lesbians to serve in the military, and has legalized same-sex marriage; whereas the United States, only a few minutes away, restricts homosexuals from serving in or alongside the military.

It all depends on the culture and their beliefs. As for Japan, judging by some of its published multimedia, I would submit that the Japanese people have a very mature stance on the subject of homosexuality; that is, "live, and let live."

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. ;)
Oh my God, I love クラビテーツヨン (Gravitation); and if you don\'t love it too, then you\'re crazy! I mean, just look at Shuichi-kun! I could die! I seriously could! [dies]
Hiro

Postby b4d0m3n » Thu 10.06.2005 4:48 am

Kingstonian wrote:Homosexuality is unnatural and that makes it wrong in the greater majority of the human population's mind...

If homosexuality is unnatural, then my head is a big blue melon. Oh, wait... it's not, because it isn't. So there.
b4d0m3n

Postby lomagu » Thu 10.06.2005 7:35 am

Really, I don't think the point of this thread was to discuss whether homosexuality is right or wrong, but since everyone else is I think I'll add my 2 cents.

Kingstonian wrote:
Homosexuality is unnatural and that makes it wrong in the greater majority of the human population's mind...

Harisenbon wrote:

Strictly speaking, homosexuality is natural like albinos, as Harisenbon pointed out. That being said though, albinos become albino because of a gene defect or mutation. Albino animals have a much lower chance of survival in their natural environment because they lack camouflage (& therefore protection). They are sometimes born with other defects such as impaired hearing or vision. So as a matter of survival, being an albino is a disadvantage.

I think homosexuality too, from mother nature's point of view, doesn't really serve any purpose. The whole point of life is to propagate life. Being homosexual kind of limits one's reproductive chances. So, I guess whether homosexuality is natural or not depends on one's definition of "natural".

I don't think negatively towards gay people (some of my friends are gay), I just don't think really think it's "proper" (sorry, I don't know what other word to use) - scientifically speaking.
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Postby mandolin » Thu 10.06.2005 9:44 am

I'd like to add some food for thought, particularly in response to lomagu:

Nature is notorious for "correcting" itself. Compensation, survival of the fittest. What-have-you. Some things which are abberations become more and more prevalent when the need arises, until such abberations are no longer... unusual.

In a world that is quickly depleting its resources, and becoming exponentially more crowded each generation, who is to say that 'gay' tendences are anything less than mother nature's own population control?

The alternative is population control of another sort, like the rest of the wild kingdom. Dwindle the food supply and let population drop off due to mass starvation.

I say let em be gay.
mandolin

Postby skrhgh3b » Thu 10.06.2005 1:18 pm

Hiro wrote:
It all depends on the culture and their beliefs. As for Japan, judging by some of its published multimedia, I would submit that the Japanese people have a very mature stance on the subject of homosexuality; that is, "live, and let live."

but you can't judge a culture by its 'published multimedia.' america has no shortage of 'published multimedia' that has a very relaxed attitude towards homosexuality, but at the same time, you couldn't say america is a very tolerant culture towards homosexuality either.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

RE: Hehe, nice analogy.

Postby Hiro » Thu 10.06.2005 1:19 pm

Even if it's a bit unorthodox -- nicely said, mandolin-san. But really, I think today's generation of young people is far more understanding and tolerant of this kind of thing than is our parents and grandparents. I've never really had a problem with being gay -- my friends are totally awesome about it. It's just adults I have to worry about it, lol. It's ironic that I'd have to be the one to tell my elders to grow up.

Edit: No, skrhgh3b-san, you'd be correct. I was simply using their multimedia as an example. There is far more of such "generally-available" media in Japan than there is in the United States. Nonetheless, a good point. And yeah, the United States certainly does not go in the top ten list for homosexual tolerance, lol.
Last edited by Hiro on Thu 10.06.2005 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh my God, I love クラビテーツヨン (Gravitation); and if you don\'t love it too, then you\'re crazy! I mean, just look at Shuichi-kun! I could die! I seriously could! [dies]
Hiro

Postby Spaztick » Thu 10.06.2005 2:37 pm

As far as the nature thing goes, it'd be simpler to just remove sexual tendancies if there's an overpopulation. However, nature tends to simplify this further: if a place gets too overpopulated animals just stop having offspring all together, not become gay.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN