Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - subbed or dubbed

subbed or dubbed

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: subed or dubed

Postby kitamichibi » Mon 11.26.2007 8:28 am

Subbed, definitely! Dubbed sucks, for proof, just watch Yu-Gi-Oh
私は弱虫です[わたしはよわむしです]
kitamichibi

Postby ProbyWaN1337 » Tue 11.27.2007 3:18 pm

I'll usually watch it through dubbed the first time, then watch it subbed everytime after that just so I can know a few lines of the movie and then compare and such.
ProbyWaN1337

Postby Shoj_Blade » Fri 12.07.2007 9:11 am

Subbed. Anyone who's experienced watching a sub before knows this by now. xD

But not all dubs are trash.
Shoj_Blade

Postby Alghazanth » Mon 12.10.2007 3:58 am

Subbed is definitely better for anyone who is studying Japanese and also it's the original one ; but these days I've been trying to watch raws as much as possible. Sure there are times I can't understand ; but (after some progress) it's more useful to just concentrate on the voices and try to understand ; I believe
Last edited by Alghazanth on Mon 12.10.2007 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alghazanth

Postby AJBryant » Mon 12.10.2007 10:50 am

Dubbed ones also very, very, VERY seldom get names right. Some of the most horrid mispronunciations of the names appear in subs. You'd think someone could take five minutes to get the names right before beginning recording.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Chris Hart » Mon 12.10.2007 5:08 pm

Interesting enough, the NBC show Heroes is inherently multi-lingual, and anything that isn't in English is subbed. Other than English, I have heard Japanese and Spanish regularly in that show. And, with the way the show has progressed, I wouldn't be surprised to hear other languages.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby TrashTreasurer » Mon 12.10.2007 8:19 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Dubbed ones also very, very, VERY seldom get names right. Some of the most horrid mispronunciations of the names appear in subs. You'd think someone could take five minutes to get the names right before beginning recording.

That's something else that got to me too. I'll attempt to watch a dubbed anime and in the beginning I'll hear a character introduce himself and hear some basterdized version of a Japanese name that sounds so horrible the rest of the episode loses it's credibility and potential for enjoyment at that point. I really can't stand hearing that stuff.
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby BetterSense » Wed 12.12.2007 12:09 pm

I don't think overdubbing anything is artistically defensible or acceptable, whether it's film, tv, anime, whatever. You are taking the liberty of having another actor reinterpret the character, which is a terrible thing! You might as well re-animate it while you are at it. It's nothing but unacceptable editing of the original. If I want to watch something in English, I watch English media.

And besides, English overdubbing of anime is almost always horrible quality, with horrible actors, and even if the actors were good it usually sounds like it was recorded in someone's basement shower on a 15 year old Walkman, and then dynamically compressed. If the overdubbing entities had some semblance of competence or production values it would be slightly less horrible.
Last edited by BetterSense on Wed 12.12.2007 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BetterSense

Postby little blue smurfgirl » Wed 12.12.2007 4:58 pm

Gundaetiapo wrote:
If I'm watching any kind of foreign film, I always aim to get the subbed rather than dubbed version. The evidence is most Americans don't, since the thought of broadcasted media having subtitles is practically absurd. However, I've heard some countries such as the Netherlands frequently broadcast with subtitles (Katafei?).

Not only frequently, ten years ago half of the cartoons were with subtitles! Those were the good days..., and a few years ago they've broadcasted some subbed anime: Dragonball Z/GT, Sailor Moon: they were English dubbed and Dutch subbed (better than totally dubbed I guess..)
But nowadays cartoons are dubbed *sob* and anime is hardly broadcasted (except for Pokémon, which is dubbed from the dubbed American version, talk about quality... -.-").
There are also just a few Dutch dubbers: each voice is repeated so many times, that hearing the same voice on different characters has even been given a name: the Misty-effect (from the voice of Misty from Pokémon). Every other program which I can think of is subbed, except for commercials and sometimes the narrators voice in documentaries.

I obviously support subbed, just like (almost) everyone else in the Netherlands (if you meet someone from the Netherlands who doesn't, slap him/her!) and I feel very privileged to have subs :D
little blue smurfgirl

Postby seiryuu » Thu 12.27.2007 10:28 pm

I've heard 120 times too many of "Believe it!" to have any bias for dubbed.
seiryuu

Postby japanfreak » Sun 01.20.2008 8:16 am

I'd say subs are best because most anime dubs are just BS. Besides, I'm learning Japanese so the anime dialogs help my conversation practice ( :o)!
japanfreak

Postby everdream » Sun 01.20.2008 9:38 am

What also annoys me about dubs, is they are always in American English.

Though Iwill admit, dubs are nice for late night viewing, when you're too weary and too lazy to flick between the subtitles and the cartoons / films.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 01.20.2008 11:15 am

I'm learning Japanese so the anime dialogs help my conversation practice

Unlikely, unless you want to talk like an anime character.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Wakannai » Sun 01.20.2008 4:12 pm

煩い!!
ばか野郎
Last edited by Wakannai on Sun 01.20.2008 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wakannai

Postby atreya » Mon 01.21.2008 1:05 pm

japanfreak wrote:Besides, I'm learning Japanese so the anime dialogs help my conversation practice ( :o)!

Um, it would be better if you listen to conversations from jdramas rather than anime. Its just a suggestion. Better yet, you can listen to japanese podcasts. Even better. ^_^
atreya

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions