Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - subbed or dubbed

subbed or dubbed

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: subed or dubed

Postby XzoeiscuteXx » Mon 01.21.2008 7:32 pm

dubbing SUCKS
naruto is dubbed by a woman
fruitsbasket is HORRIBLE in english, it ruins the character Yuki who is supposed to sound like a woman and kyo, too
Ryuuk from Death Note could be a lot better
omg dubbing has just ruined so many animes -_-

XzoeiscuteXx

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 01.21.2008 8:57 pm

Naruto is voiced by a female in the Japanese version too; her name is Takeuchi Junko.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Dehitay » Mon 01.21.2008 9:59 pm

XzoeiscuteXx wrote:
dubbing SUCKS
fruitsbasket is HORRIBLE in english, it ruins the character Yuki who is supposed to sound like a woman and kyo, too
Ryuuk from Death Note could be a lot better
omg dubbing has just ruined so many animes -_-

Personally, I disliked the Japanese voice acting of Fruit's Basket's Yuki. It seems like the voice actor was too busy trying to get the balance of the sexually ambiguous voice to emphasize the way most voice actors do
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby burstandbloom » Tue 01.22.2008 4:03 am

Sometimes you find the best stuff just by watching Japanese movies/anime dubs. For instance, Ichi the Killer, all these Japanese gangsters in the movie sound like big burley British guys. It's incredible.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby shades_of_ben » Mon 01.28.2008 12:27 am

i can generally go either way, depending on the show. with some shows, the dubbing was good (in my opinion), like Evangelion, and Gundam Wing. sometimes on the internet you get fansubbed anime, or fanlated manga, and it's garbage. but sometimes you get a show like Love Hina, where the dubbing is nothing more than bilge. i love the original japanese voice acting in Love Hina. they get the emotions accurate enough to be believeable, yet exaggerated enough to be comical. Yui Horie and Megumi Hayashibara are incredibly talented, and have absolutely phenomenal voices (i'm a sucker for girls who can sing well). but the fansubbing isnt always accurate (though you can remedy that by simply getting the DVDs, which i have done. the boxed set is in the mail to my house now). but if the dubbing is up to snuff, then i'll go with that, because i preefer to watch a show, not read it.

again, and simply put, it depends on the show.
shades_of_ben

Re: subed or dubed

Postby Hopefull_Eyes » Tue 05.06.2008 5:12 pm

The answers easy SUBED... sorry for yelling hehe

Becuase like some animes that could be decent like Naruto, please don't curse me for that, are destroyed with american voice actors. If you have ever seen the american Naruto you'll know what I mean when I say his voice makes me shutter.

Plus, I just like to hear the japanese voices and think to myself that this is how it was made, stupid americanization! (is that even a word?), and i'd like to pretend that it helps me with my studys... :mrgreen:

one last point... the simple fact that when dubed the phrase " lost in translation" come into play
Hopefull_Eyes

Postby AJBryant » Wed 05.07.2008 4:06 pm

Dubbed.

Subbed.

Shudder.

Learn it. Live it.

Oh, capitalization. And syntax. Good things. Use them.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Kirankiran » Sat 05.17.2008 8:40 pm

I like subbed. Dubbing, is, well, not always accurate, and takes away from the original meaning. And, although it's best to learn the language fully and not need either, I believe subbing is a much better option, because it allows greater accuracy.
Soft cobalt clouds,
stretch lightly-faded in the distance,
like dreams half-real,
beautiful uninspected.

Kirankiran

Postby SilverL » Mon 05.19.2008 5:28 pm

subbed.
SilverL

Postby Oracle » Mon 05.19.2008 8:08 pm

neither
Oracle

Postby Raemie » Mon 05.26.2008 7:55 pm

For cartoons in general, dubbing is better, but based on the quality of your average anime dub... its hard to say, mostly the american dubs have riduculous editing and rewriting which makes it bad rather than the voice acting. Plus, Dan Green. DAN GREEN.

so for me, a tentative vote for dubbing.
Raemie

Postby kazukifafner » Tue 05.27.2008 7:28 pm

I almost always listen to the Subbed version. Usually, it is more accurate, it helps you understand the cultural references, and it seems to help you pay attention more (since you have to read it). Though, there are some good Dubs out there, like Last Exile and Place Promised in our Early Days.
kazukifafner

Postby s0n9al » Wed 05.28.2008 9:27 pm

dubbing just ruins the whole essense of the anime. after all anime=JAPANESE anime. without voceovers in japanese whats the whole point of watching anime? moreover dubbers mostly lack the expression in the voice tt japanese seiyuus have.
s0n9al

Postby chiisaikaeru » Wed 06.04.2008 1:51 am

subed = 10x > dubbed

yay my math skills are amazing :D

yeah but seriously, dubbing is lame. The voices are so hard to take seriously because they don't actually sound like what English speakers would sound like. Subbing = real experience, plus you learn language.

sweet~

froggie
mentally quick, physically strong, spiritually alive~
chiisaikaeru

Postby monkeykoder » Wed 06.04.2008 2:27 am

Subbed FMA sucks dubbed and so does about any other dubbed version of an anime that I've seen.
monkeykoder

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions