Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Favorite Japanese Drama ?

Favorite Japanese Drama ?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: Favorite Japanese Drama ?

Postby Niphty » Fri 05.19.2006 5:40 am

I loved Densha Otoko as well. And while it's campy as hell, I'm a fan of the Saiyuuki remake. Sure, it's more or less a spoof, but it's funny. I recently acquired Odoru Daisousasen, but haven't seen it yet. Oh, and the You're Under Arrest Live Action is always a classic.
I'm really just getting into J-Dramas, so I'll be checking out some of these here.

As for where to get your J-Drama (and K and C drama) fix.. http://www.jdorama.com/ is a good start for info and such, and http://www.d-addicts.com/ is where I get the majority of my torrents and subtitles. Quite a good lil community they have there.
Niphty

Postby aKuMu » Fri 05.19.2006 6:00 am

but i would remove the link B)
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby enyafriend » Sun 05.21.2006 4:05 am

Ah yes, J-drama. I remember the first one that i watched and got hooked on it immediately was Tokyo Love Story. That was way back in the early 90's. Since then, i had watched countless J-drama.

Watching these drama's is a good way to continuosly recharge your interest in learning Japanese. Well, at least it worked for me.....:p
私 夢がある。。。
enyafriend

Postby jinksys » Sun 05.21.2006 4:21 am

nikoniko1975 wrote:
hamsterfreak4evr wrote:
for those of you in the united states, what channel do you get JDramas on or what stores rent/sell them?

Via satellite you can subscribe to TV Japan, which features NHK programming, for about $25 a month. If you live anywhere near a Korean video store or a Korean grocery with a video section, they often have some JDramas in addition to the KDramas.

With a little know-how you can get TV Japan free.
Hello? Internets?
jinksys

Postby TrilinguisT » Sun 05.21.2006 4:32 am

hmmm... i used to like densha otoko until it just got too wierd.. so now, none!
TrilinguisT

Postby kotori » Sun 05.28.2006 6:43 am

lomagu wrote:
I like Gokusen. It's funny. Actually, I've just started watching the first one, but I haven't seen the second. Also, Hana Yori Dango is good too. I think it's better than the anime version.

Well, I finished One Litre of Tears, and probably cried twice that much. I hate that. It was an awesome drama, definately at the top of the list.

Now I'm nearly through Gokusen. GTO fans might enjoy this take on the mobster schoolteacher idea, it's worth the watch.

As a note to people who haven't watched Japanese dramas... the biggest reason I find them so enjoyable is that they're (usually) a complete story in around 12 episodes. It's not like a daytime soap opera or other American dramas where the lives of the characters go on and on until ratings drop and the show gets cancelled.

If you haven't given dramas a try, DO IT. Plus, it will help your study of the language. Go ahead and check out Jdorama.com. It's a site full of reviews of japanese dramas. Once you know which ones you want to see, getting ahold of them could be as easy as amazon.com or ebay, or whatever. :)

Take care!
kotori

Postby clay » Sun 05.28.2006 8:42 am

Here is the link for TV Japan: http://www.tvjapan.net/

We get it and enjoy it (watching Changumu now - Korean drama in Japanese), but it is a bit pricey. If you don't subscribe to other programming, you have to pay $5 extra I believe ($30). Also depending on your location, you may have to have 2 dishes to receive English programming also.

My only complaint is it doesn't have many bakabakashi programming. :D It is mostly NHK programming. But it shows the latest taiga dramas, mini dramas and special NHK programming. Also Sunday mornings they usually have one or two Asahi TV shows.

I really liked Densha Otoko, but I don't recommend the movie. I bought it on my last trip to Japan and have regretted it since...

Clay
Last edited by clay on Sun 05.28.2006 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
clay
Site Admin

Postby ButterFli » Thu 04.19.2007 11:25 pm

jinksys wrote:
nikoniko1975 wrote:
hamsterfreak4evr wrote:
for those of you in the united states, what channel do you get JDramas on or what stores rent/sell them?

Via satellite you can subscribe to TV Japan, which features NHK programming, for about $25 a month. If you live anywhere near a Korean video store or a Korean grocery with a video section, they often have some JDramas in addition to the KDramas.

With a little know-how you can get TV Japan free.

Now, about that. How is it done? I would like to know please. :)

Well tonight I just got done with 1 litre of tears, and to tell you the truth.. It was..
AMAZING. I wasn't tearing up as much as I should have, or as much as anyone else would have, but I did grab my heart in shock a few times.. Ok, it was a lot of times, but it was that good. The dramatic irony was just too much. I loved it.

About those torrents at d-addicts.com, I did that last year sometime, but I just couldn't figure out how to work them. Don't you need a torrent player or some type of converter for those? I tried both. Didn't work. :(
ButterFli

Postby night_knight » Fri 04.27.2007 7:23 am

i've watched gokusen 1&2
hyd 1&2
brother beat [i love the tatsuya and chiisato team-up. lol]
and cant wait to watch my boss my hero..
night_knight

Postby UpHand » Tue 05.01.2007 9:38 pm

My favorite would have to be Byakuyakou. It's the only dorama that made me cry. :)

Others I enjoyed where Densha Otoko, Queen of Lunch and My Boss My Hero
Igiari! Because there's a contradiction in every internet statement.
UpHand

RE: Taiga dramas

Postby leathej1 » Wed 01.23.2008 2:04 pm

I enjoy the taiga dramas, mostly. It started when I saw Hideyoshi(1996) with the incomprable Takenaka Naoto. Then Musashi(2003) with Ichikawa Ebizo XI (Shinnosuke, at the time) who was freakin' fantastic. Now I am watching Furinkazan(2007). My favorites are so far Hideyoshi and Musashi. I love seeing the same actors return for the latest drama (although I miss Watari Tetsuya as Nobunaga - haven't seen him in a while).

My wife tried to get me into Oshin(1983), but it didn't have enough swordplay for my tastes.. :)
leathej1

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.23.2008 2:20 pm

unfortunately the only japanese drama I get is ......

The tale of Zatoichi. it's subtitled in English, so it helps me pick up some of that old Japanese.. even though it's black and white and older than me, it's still a good drama in my opinion.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby poppop » Wed 01.23.2008 3:42 pm

IWGP (Ikebukuro West Gate Park)
it's based on a true story too ;)
Last edited by poppop on Wed 01.23.2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poppop

Native language: Swedish

Postby LustBaka » Wed 01.23.2008 5:20 pm

I really like himitsu no Hanazono.
LustBaka

Postby Algoze » Wed 01.23.2008 6:25 pm

My Hero, My Boss
Algoze

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions