Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Translations of chapters from the story by our own richvh

Chapter 10

Postby katafei » Sat 01.26.2008 6:08 pm

Well, here's my attempt to translate chapter 10.
There were some difficult passages and the ones marked with * are more or less guess work. (And I decided to honor AE ^_^)

Chapter 10
The Chamberlain’s Report.

A few days later, the chamberlain reported back to the young lord.
‘Young Lord, I have rounded off the inquiry about the tea house ceremony artist. About 15 years ago, an old woman settled in a little village with her baby granddaughter. From then on, the two of them lived a quiet life of poverty. A few weeks ago, the old woman died and the granddaughter left the village.

That day, a fisherman met this girl on her way from that village to this town. The girl mended the fisherman’s nets and the fisherman shared his shellfish with her. The girl did not wear a hair bracelet around her wrist.

That evening a merchant (who is the younger brother of the landlady from the spa) met this girl on the road. The girl then wore this hair bracelet around her wrist and she carried pearls, that allegedly came from the shellfish, as well as a map with her family lineage. The merchant entrusted the girl with a letter for the landlady.

The next day, carrying the letter for the landlady, the hair bracelet around her wrist, the girl arrived at the gates of this town. She asked the way to the spa. Soon after, the girl with the hair bracelet around her wrist arrived at the spa and gave the merchant’s letter to the landlady. The landlady hired the girl as a tea ceremony artist.

Witnesses have all confirmed that the girl called herself Yuki. I cannot confirm the existence of the fox nor the bandits. However, on the road between the sandy beach where the fisherman met the girl and the campsite of the merchant, remnants of an open fire and shellfish have been found.

You probably know this, but 15 years ago, there was a Daimyo who died in the fire that destroyed his castle. That Daimyo had lived with his mother, a famous tea ceremony artist, and a baby girl. At that time, everybody thought the mother and the daughter had died in the fire, but their bodies were never recovered. The name of the mother of the Daimyo and the name of the grandmother of the young tea ceremony artist are the same. What is more, the family crest of the Daimyo is that in the map of the family tree of the young tea ceremony artist,’ the chamberlain said.

‘Interesting. What you tell me about her father is good*,’ the young lord said. Then the both of them went to the feudal lord and the chamberlain once more told his story. When the chamberlain was finished, the feudal lord asked the young lord: ’in what way are you interested in that girl?’

The young lord answered: ‘If you, father, will give me your blessing, I would like to marry this tea ceremony artist.‘

‘I think I would like to have a look at that girl,’ the lord said.

That evening, Yuki was summoned to the wards of the lord.
‘How do you do? I’m called Yuki, the tea ceremony artist from the spa. I’m honored to meet you,’ she said.

The lord muttered: ‘Your looks . . . o dear . . it brings back old times.’

When Yuki had made hot water for tea, the lord said: ‘You are the very image of your grandmother. She taught you well.’

Yuki asked: ‘My lord?* Did you know my grandmother well?’

The lord said: ‘I also knew your parents before they died. Your father was a great man and a friend of mine.’

‘Grandmother never told me anything about my parents. Will you please tell me?’ Yuki asked.

‘I will. But first my son has something he wants to ask you,’ the lord said.

The young lord said: ‘Princess Yuki, if you will marry me, it would make me very happy*. ‘

‘No, I’m not a princess. A woman like me cannot possibly marry a young lord. I don’t understand.’ Yuki said.

‘Your father was a Daimyo,’ the lord said.

‘I’m overwhelmed. But if the young lord so wishes, then I will certainly marry him,’ Yuki said.

And then the three of them talked for a long time.
Last edited by katafei on Sat 01.26.2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

RE: Chapter 10

Postby richvh » Sat 01.26.2008 7:48 pm

Good job!

katafei wrote:
‘Interesting. What you tell me about her father is good*,’

父上に教えた方がいい
"You should tell Father."

左様でございますか。殿さま、よくまあ私の祖母を存知でしたね?
The first part (which you omitted) is a more polite version of そうですか.
The young lord said: ‘Princess Yuki, if you will marry me, it would make me very happy*. ‘

No problem with that one.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 01.26.2008 7:53 pm

Did you mean 祖母を存知?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby katafei » Sun 01.27.2008 6:06 am

richvh wrote:
Good job!

Thanks ^_^

katafei wrote:
‘Interesting. What you tell me about her father is good*,’

父上に教えた方がいい
"You should tell Father."

My initial translation was:
'Her father taught her well.' But then I realised that didn't make sense. I should have taken more distance from the sentence, then I would also have realised 父上 would never be used for a 3d person's father?
And now this それから二人は殿さまのところに行って, falls into place. It kept bothering me that it seemed to come out of the blue....

左様でございますか。殿さま、よくまあ私の祖母を存知でしたね?
The first part (which you omitted) is a more polite version of そうですか.

Aah. The sayonara 左様 kanji threw me off course. I left this bit untranslated to the very last moment. Should have asked my teacher.

No problem with that one.

My alternative translation was something along the lines of:
'that would make you very happy.' or 'I would make you happy.'
The last one would probably include a causative verb. I'm not sure if the first option would be a possibility?
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby richvh » Sun 01.27.2008 9:13 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Did you mean 祖母を存知?

Probably. Don't know why no one has commented on that before.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Return to ゆきの物語