Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I need to learn some Japanese conversational skills quick!!

I need to learn some Japanese conversational skills quick!!

Japanese, general discussion on the language

I need to learn some Japanese conversational skills quick!!

Postby qazmatoz » Thu 01.24.2008 7:43 pm

Ok, so here's the deal. I've signed up for an exchange student program over the summer for a one month immersion program with a homestay, high school, the whole shebang. The problem is I've been doing solo independent study only for a while and have little to no Japanese conversational skills and the people from the program are scheduled to call in around 3 weeks to test my Japanese speaking ability by engaging in a conversation.

So, basically for those of you too lazy to read all that, how can I learn to hold a conversation in Japanese in 3 weeks, on my own?
qazmatoz

RE: I need to learn some Japanese conversational skills quic

Postby furrykef » Thu 01.24.2008 8:41 pm

Well, you should have thought about that before you signed up. :P

Sounds to me that your best course of action would be to find a native speaker to talk to on skype or a service like that. Naturally, the speaker would probably expect you to reciprocate in some way, such as teaching them some English in return.
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 01.24.2008 8:50 pm

No offense, but you're doomed.
Unless, like furrykef mentioned, you find a speaking partner on Skype and practice 24/7 I don't think your speaking abilities will improve in a mere 3 weeks.

It's depended on how good the exchange expects you to be, however. If you can get away with low level conversation skills, you may be ok...

Goodluck
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Oracle » Thu 01.24.2008 8:54 pm

I studied Japanese for 5 years full time in high school before I went to Japan for the first time, and I could barely hold anything approaching a real conversation.. too much grammar and kanji, not enough speaking practice. The only way to develop conversation skills is to *not* study ;)
Oracle

Native language: English

Postby chiisu321 » Sun 01.27.2008 2:12 am

hmm. what program would that be? I'll be doing an exchange in japan for a semester. All they asked for were my transcripts to prove my educational level and had me write a letter.
Anyways, i suggest you get to practicing. I doubt the interview will be insanely hard unless you prove to be better then they expect.
of course you will need to know greetings and be able to talk about yourself.

Where i live, it was very hard to gain conversational opportunities. I often found myself practicing alone. So i suggest you throw away your inhibitions and just talk to yourself. Practice asking questions you think they might ask and practice your answers.

If it makes you feel any better, when I started out, i never had a speaking partner, but when i finally found a place to learn japanese i tested into japanese level 3 of speaking, but only level 2 for reading and writing. So, it is possible if you try.

Lastly, i doubt how well you do will determine whether or not you get to go. It is usually just to help them place you in a class and with a family. If they are basing it off of your japanese skill............you have selected quite and odd program.
chiisu321

Postby NZJutsu » Sun 01.27.2008 2:32 am

chiisu321 wrote:Where i live, it was very hard to gain conversational opportunities. I often found myself practicing alone. So i suggest you throw away your inhibitions and just talk to yourself. Practice asking questions you think they might ask and practice your answers.

Another good idea to accompany that would be to record yourself - That way you can pick up on small pronunciation errors and the like... Maybe it's just me but my voice sounds different recorded than in my head so I don't trust myself :P
NZJutsu

Postby kimberly » Fri 02.08.2008 11:24 am

I guess as long as you have the passion you can do it!

please do not snigger.
kimberly

Return to Japanese General Discussion