Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese concerns.

Japanese concerns.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Japanese concerns.

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Sun 01.27.2008 2:03 am

The joke is that I'm 14 and that teenagers are supposed to strive to be accepted by their peers. Also should I post what I know to confirm it?
And SS WTF?!
Last edited by guitarplayer7694 on Sun 01.27.2008 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
guitarplayer7694

Postby chiisu321 » Sun 01.27.2008 2:26 am

Seeing it from both sides, it would have been better to ask a question after researching a bit more. This is true. But, the responses were more negative then anything. Rather then suggesting trolling, someone could have led him in a better direction. People come here because they want to learn more about Japan. This is the impression i have been under for the few years i have visited this page.
What users must remember, i think, is that not everyone here is a certain age and not everyone here has the same thought pattern, but everyone (you would hope) has a common interest.
if you want someone to learn, it is better to teach, rather than to insult.
chiisu321

Postby AJBryant » Sun 01.27.2008 2:56 am

chiisu321 wrote:
What users must remember, i think, is that not everyone here is a certain age and not everyone here has the same thought pattern

Hence my *constant* maintaining that it would be GOOD to have people indicate their ages, despite people constantly poo-pooing the idea. (I would tend to cut younger people more slack.)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby ss » Sun 01.27.2008 3:08 am

Guitarplayer wrote:
And SS WTF?!

I’m sure the regular members here are cautious with not starting a war of words that may end up with undesirable outcomes for everyone. The hard part is, people fail to see feedback that can also be an expression of concern, even though the feedback seems uncomfortable.

Is WTF a nice word? I can take that as mean, rude and insult too.

I’ve been a teenager, I understand the need to be accepted by their peers. OP, you don’t have to post an answer to confirm it. I’m getting weaker and weaker in understanding without giving the receiver on the defensive. My greatest mistake to respond, that’s it and let’s stop here.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 01.27.2008 6:05 am

guitarplayer7694 wrote:
The joke is that I'm 14 and that teenagers are supposed to strive to be accepted by their peers.

Which brings up the tired old "If your friend jumped off a bridge, would you jump after him?" that we have all heard from our parents.

Rather than striving to be accepted/liked by a particular person or group, instead direct your efforts to development of admirable and upstanding character traits and be true to them. Then the acceptance and being liked will take care of themselves.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Wakannai » Sun 01.27.2008 4:07 pm

or when they don't you really didn't want those people for your friends anyway.
Wakannai

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Sun 01.27.2008 5:10 pm

SS the wtf is meant because I didn't post that wtf is used as an expression of surprise or befuddlement. It seem the longer this thread goes one the more I appearer stupid.
Last edited by guitarplayer7694 on Sun 01.27.2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guitarplayer7694

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 01.27.2008 6:04 pm

That generally is attributable to making replies which give the impression that you either didn't read or didn't comprehend the very good replies you have had from others.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Tue 01.29.2008 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cash

Postby Simon86 » Tue 01.29.2008 7:53 am

Mike Cash wrote:
That generally is attributable to making replies which give the impression that either didn't read or didn't comprehend the very good replies you have had from others.

Very good replies? Are you kidding me?... Although that's not really surprising coming from you.

All I see is a decent chap trying to start a conversation with other human beings, and all the regular dicks come out flashing their claws and stomping all over this poor bloke. They are the ones trying to make him look stupid... He doesn't deserve that.

Some of the people here actually live in Japan, perhaps that's why he wanted to ask?
Simon86

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 01.29.2008 8:26 am

Are you unable to recognize that my post was meant as a broad, general observation and not one specific to this particular thread? I think I even used the word "generally" in the post.

I offered no observation or speculation one way or the other as to why he wanted to ask.

I can see how you might think Tony a dick for the tone of his replies in this thread. But could you point out for me just what others there were who caused you to say "dicks" (in the plural)? When all one has is a hammer....everything looks like a nail. When one has a predisposition to knee-jerk vicarious victimhood....everybody looks like a dick.

God deliver us from this younger generation that is constantly champing at the bit to be offended at something.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Tue 01.29.2008 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cash

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Tue 01.29.2008 11:27 am

The offend comment was funny because its true although I'm not offended by any thing really, not having a religion helps, and mike might I refer you to
http://www.townhall.com/TalkRadio/Show.aspx?RadioShowID=3 you seem like an intellectual who will agree with him on many things.
guitarplayer7694

Postby Dehitay » Tue 01.29.2008 11:29 am

Mike Cash wrote:
God deliver us from this younger generation that is constantly champing at the bit to be offended at something.

While that is indeed pathetic, I don't think people who don't pay any attention to how what they're saying may affect others are really any better.
*fraction of post deleted since it will apparently be understood already*
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 01.29.2008 12:29 pm

Let me see.....

I had one post where I couldn't resist the fun of a short answer ("no").

I had one post where I attempted to help our Kentucky-fried friend see just what it is about his posting that caused him to be taken to task. That was constructive and I don't see how anyone could construe it as otherwise.

And I had one where I pointed out the negative feedback loop set up by giving the appearance of glossing over replies.

Nope. I can't be the one you're talking about.
Mike Cash

Postby OitaFish » Wed 01.30.2008 1:58 am

guitarplayer7694 wrote:
What are some concerns of Japan as a nation. For instance America has a rising obesity rate, polution, etc. Does Japan have any?

I think 3 of the biggest concerns in Japan right now are:

1. Aging population. This is a concern for several reasons:
a. shrinking workforce.
b. growing group of retirees who are dependent upon Japan's equivalent of the US social security. Fewer people paying in & more people taking out will be difficult to maintain. Also, there is a problem about the government losing track of many people's records and a lot of people may not get the retirement money they have earned.
c. shrinking population -- fewer people paying taxes and supporting the economy means tough times ahead for many communities.
To combat the aging population, you actually get paid to have kids in Japan. The government actually pays you about US$100 per month, per kid. They are even talking about increasing that.

2. Perception of a growing problem with foreigners committing crimes. I say perception because while you often hear about this on TV, read it in newspapers, and hear politicians talk about it, the actual crime statistics don't support this perception.

3. The ever-popular environmental concerns (energy, pollution, garbage, etc.). It varies by regions but where I live, we have to separate our garbage out into 7 different bins depending on if its burnable, not burnable, or if it is recyclable (and what kind of recycle material it is). You have to put the right kind of garbage out for collection on the right day or your neighbors will make fun of you. Where I used to live in the US, if you want to, you can through everything into the same bin (we did have a second bin for recyclable stuff if we wanted to do that).
OitaFish

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Wed 01.30.2008 3:00 am

oitaFish thank you for answering my question.
guitarplayer7694

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan