Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is English hard to learn?

Is English hard to learn?

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

RE: Is English hard to learn?

Postby Feba » Fri 10.12.2007 10:59 pm

@Necro: Oh crizzap. This forum's layout is so foreign to me, I didn't even notice D:

Yudan: Do you really mean Midwest, or do you mean Ohio?
Feba

Native language: English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 10.12.2007 11:10 pm

Ohio is in the Midwest, but I actually grew up in NW Indiana.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Feba » Fri 10.12.2007 11:45 pm

Ohio is in the Midwest

Sure it is.

I actually grew up in NW Indiana.

I suppose that's close enough.

Anyway, anyone know where that accent thing is? All I can find is some crappy 'lolinternetests' site, and I *know* it was on a fairly scientific site..
Last edited by Feba on Fri 10.12.2007 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feba

Postby Oracle » Sat 10.13.2007 12:24 am

This probably isn't the site you meant, but it's still very interesting for comparing different English accents..

Speech Accent Archive
Oracle

Postby Nyanko » Fri 02.01.2008 9:38 pm

I really never had an opinion about the difficulty of English because 1) I didn't really have a choice and 2) I was too young to understand why it would be difficult. I took things as they were; if I was taught that though and thought are pronounced differently, I took it a it is.

But now that I think about it, there are many things regarding the English language that even I, a native speaker, could not explain.
Nyanko

Postby Algoze » Fri 02.01.2008 10:03 pm

Nyanko wrote:
I really never had an opinion about the difficulty of English because 1) I didn't really have a choice and 2) I was too young to understand why it would be difficult. I took things as they were; if I was taught that though and thought are pronounced differently, I took it a it is.

But now that I think about it, there are many things regarding the English language that even I, a native speaker, could not explain.

This thread has been dead for quite some time right?
Since I'm already posting. I say that english have never really been difficult for me to learn.
Algoze

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 02.01.2008 10:21 pm

For children, it seems that all languages are at an equal level of difficulty (the languages, not the writing systems). You can only talk about difficulty of languages with respect to people learning them as a second language, and the difficulty often depends on the native language (i.e. Italian is a lot easier for a French person to learn than a Chinese.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby HarakoMeshi » Fri 02.01.2008 11:43 pm

I think languages are as difficult to learn, as they are different from languages that you already know.

For instance if you speak German then English is probably not so difficult, followed by French and other related languages, followed by other indo-european languages.

If you speak Chinese at least the grammar is not totally backwards but for vocab it must be hard.

If you speak only Japanese then the grammar, pronunciation and vocab is very hard (save for many borrowed English words).

The arguments I've seen for English being hard are usually related to orthography, homonyms, and idioms. However if you compare to Japanese, to me English seems simpler in all those three areas.
Last edited by HarakoMeshi on Fri 02.01.2008 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HarakoMeshi

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 02.02.2008 12:04 am

Prepositions are one of the hardest things in English for almost anyone learning it; even other Western languages don't really have them like English does. I think homonyms are a problem in any language. The problem arises in every language that native speakers can disambiguate a lot of homonyms by context, so there's no real reason for them to naturally disappear from the language. (Japanese isn't too much of a problem in that regard because people tend not to use quite as many 漢語 in casual speech, and in writing you have the kanji so that even if writers are making use of a lot of obscure 漢語 that aren't normally used in speech, you have the characters there to help out.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby JaySee » Sat 02.02.2008 6:59 am

I think most Germanic languages use prepositions much in the same way English does though, but you're right that Romance languages in general don't have a system that is as elaborate. For Japanese (and other East Asians) learning English I have heard quite some complaints about them being difficult to learn. I guess you might be able to compare it to us learning particles, although there are probably less of them than English prepositions and the particles' individual areas of use are a bit more clearly demarcated.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Re: Is English hard to learn?

Postby Riza » Fri 03.21.2008 9:30 am

For me it was easy to leanr, dunno why. But I have some colleagues who found it really hard. they are all 17 and 18 and can't even make a sentence, I'm 16, but I speak in english for quite a few years, 5/6, maybe? Nevertheless, I'm active in a lot of english speaking forums, and that may have helped me a lot.

that why I'm here, to learn japanese, practising, even though I only know how to read hiragana.
Riza

Native language: portuguese

Postby john2 » Sun 03.23.2008 5:33 pm

I think orthography is actual an important part of learning English.
however it doesn't mean you have to learn it first or at the same time,
children commonly first learn to speak and then to write.
I think braille is a commonly excepted writing system for English.
however it does not make it less important to read or write, it also seams a bit bluntly ignorant like suggesting everyone should write in roman characters that the only thing that matters is pronunciation, one can miss value either to the extreme, both are important to be understood, speaking may for some things be more improtant and writting may for somethings be more important, but the way we think about english is effected by both, especially thou every spocken language can fully be represented in almost any phonetic system, I don't want to write every language in roman letters or german without ß and ä ö ü but instead ss ae oe ue, sure so shoudl i write english in ipa,
hao aɽ jʉ tu.daj
or katakana
ハウアレユツデイ!
it may look nice but don't you just prefer ïŋliß* I mean english letters?
also, it woudl have tacken more time for the web to get of it's feat, if we didn't have writing.
john2

Re: RE: Is English hard to learn?

Postby theshredda » Thu 05.01.2008 9:14 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Sunken wrote:
Oh, come on, Mike. We're not talking about native language learning here,

Did you read the post immediately above your own?

but language *study*.

In reviewing the thread thus far, I find this to be the first mention of this distinction.

And since almost any method of studying a foreign language (just the language, mind you!) makes use of texts the point isn't irrelevant. I'd say any language entirely without a written mode will be more difficult to learn,

To learn? Or to study? You seem to have rapidly forgotten the fine distinction that you yourself interjected into the thread only about two sentences ago.

since you can't make use of the connections in the language that can only be seen in writing, nor can use native written material readily for studies. The same goes for learning any foreign language if you're blind, I'd wager. Not nearly impossible, of course, but more difficult - in practice.

I don't disagree. I merely disagree with two head boy's assertion, unencumbered by the thought process, that the two are inextricably linked.

@neo2407
it becomes easier once you get your head around the exceptions and irregularities :)

--------

and btw

How come everytime i come across a Mike Cash post it's always some sort of a rebuttal or a counter-argument?? and It's never positive!

He also seems to think he's always right- - counter-arguing another tjp member's post sentence by sentence adding more fuel to the fire;

and he tends to use 'big words' to make himself look smart lmao but in reality he sounds like a complete fool

Did you use to get bullied at school?
Do you have friends?

you should make some, they might turn you into a positive-person

ps. I wouldn't be surprised if he flames this post sentence by sentenct or more directly, me.
Don't bother man, you won't be getting a post-reply for you to spark more arguments. kthxb
theshredda

Postby richvh » Thu 05.01.2008 9:30 am

Do you realize just how bad you look, reviving a dead thread to flame someone about something said 6 months ago? And yes, Mike does post positive help, whether or not you notice it (or perceive it to be such.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby AJBryant » Thu 05.01.2008 5:08 pm

Maybe we should start considering some more proactive response to necroposting, Rich.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to 英語の練習