View topic - Listening Comp.
- Posts: 109
- Joined: Fri 03.23.2007 2:13 pm
Listening comprehension is one of the most difficult hurdles to take when you learn a new language. (Speaking is ten times more difficult still.)
But if you just keep listening, sooner or later the coin will drop.
In my experience the only way to really learn to use a language is to emerge yourself in a native community.
Unfortunately, that is not always an easy thing to achieve ^_^
- Posts: 1766
- Joined: Sun 07.09.2006 9:56 am
- Location: A'veen
- Native language: Dutch; Female
- Posts: 42
- Joined: Fri 07.06.2007 11:23 pm
- Location: 愛知県岡崎市
- Native language: English
- Gender: Male
Listening repeatedly to the dialogues actually helps. Watching shows close to your level and covering the subtitles so your brain works harder to translate.
Drills help a lot. This gets back to that overlap I mentioned before. If you do lots of speaking drills, that will help your listening a lot. Drill and drill and drill until you can do the sentence patterns in your sleep.
- Posts: 658
- Joined: Thu 10.18.2007 6:38 am
Many of the Studio Ghibli animations have Taiwanese version DVDs (which come with Japanese subtitles) which are much cheaper than their Japanese counterparts. They can be obtained from YesAsia.com from anywhere in the world.
Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
- Posts: 403
- Joined: Wed 03.01.2006 10:01 am
- Location: United Kingdom
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests