Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is there a meaning to life?

Is there a meaning to life?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Is there a meaning to life?

Postby lol890 » Fri 02.08.2008 5:25 pm

Does life have a meaning?

I've thought about this question plenty of times and can honestly say I don't know. Whether It might have a purpose or it might not.
lol890

RE: Is there a meaning to life?

Postby Wakannai » Fri 02.08.2008 5:39 pm

You create meaning for life. No one is going to hand you one.
Wakannai

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 02.08.2008 6:01 pm

If you want a meaning external to yourself I think you have to look to religion or spirituality of some kind -- otherwise, as Wakannai says, you have to create your own meaning for your life.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Ken Pro » Fri 02.08.2008 8:13 pm

"There are no happy endings, only good times along the way."

Friend of mine likes to say that.
Ken Pro

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 02.08.2008 9:12 pm

For an asocial agoraphobe who would rather wallow in the misery of self-pity than get some help and create some meaning for life.....it's doubtful.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby keatonatron » Fri 02.08.2008 9:55 pm

lol890 wrote:
Does life have a meaning?

Nope. Might as well get out while you still can.

But seriously, would you even believe anything any one of us told you?
keatonatron

Postby lol890 » Fri 02.08.2008 10:44 pm

I don't know about humanity's purpose, but I know my purpose is to suffer. I have Cerebral Palsy and Skulliosis, which cause my muscles to constantly be tightened, my limbs to be of limited use, and extreme pain. I'm bipolar, and after seeing psychiatrists for years I have nothing to show for it except a dependence on anti-psychotic pills and bouts of depression mixed with intense paranoia. If there is a God then He/She/It views me as nothing more than a freak of nature who is a source of amusement.
lol890

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 02.08.2008 11:20 pm

You want meaning to your life? Then create it.

All we mean to you here is a fresh source of people to listen to you feel sorry for yourself rather than take positive action. How many places do you do this online?
Last edited by Mike Cash on Fri 02.08.2008 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cash

Postby Hatori » Fri 02.08.2008 11:36 pm

You must overcome what are your obstacles (sp?). You may be differently-abled, but you're not disabled. Nobody, in my definition, is disabled.
That's your meaning to life if you don't know what else there is. Get past what blocks you from succeding.
[small]I spelled many words wrong it feels like.[/small]
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby NZJutsu » Sat 02.09.2008 12:07 am

Yet they are all correct. ;)
NZJutsu

Postby nabilahforever » Sat 02.09.2008 3:07 am

If you want to have a meaning in your life,so create it. Anybody can't create yours. The one that can create yours is just yourself. Although everybody will die one day, but the life have meaning as we're still in the world.
Last edited by nabilahforever on Sat 02.09.2008 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stop talking as if u know me..-YUI
nabilahforever

Postby lol890 » Sat 02.09.2008 12:55 pm

What's the point of doing anything when you live in a world where you're hated by everyone. I don't actually have proof I'm hated. Everyone says they like me. However, I prefer to play it safe.
lol890

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 02.09.2008 1:36 pm

lol890 wrote:
I don't know about humanity's purpose, but I know my purpose is to suffer. I have Cerebral Palsy and Skulliosis, which cause my muscles to constantly be tightened, my limbs to be of limited use, and extreme pain. I'm bipolar, and after seeing psychiatrists for years I have nothing to show for it except a dependence on anti-psychotic pills and bouts of depression mixed with intense paranoia. If there is a God then He/She/It views me as nothing more than a freak of nature who is a source of amusement.

lol890 wrote:
What's the point of doing anything when you live in a world where you're hated by everyone. I don't actually have proof I'm hated. Everyone says they like me. However, I prefer to play it safe.

WITH NO evidence, there is no crime. to play it safer, why not take people at face value and trust what they say?

besides, what you do in your life is irrespective of how others see/treat/react to you.

In highschool, I ran track, played football, did well in school, enjoyed what I could. Not because someone hated or liked me, but because I wanted to do them. while I listened to my friends/peers for their input on things, I still made the decisions based on what I wanted to do.

personally I think you should do as has been suggested on multiple threads and discuss your thoughts with someone, a profession, who can help you work through this troubling time in your life. However, if you choose not to and keep such a pessimistic outlook on life, I feel very very sad for you.. Because the disabilities you claim (cerebral palsy, scoliocis, and being bi-polar) are nothing compared to the disability of a negative thought process that you have forced on yourself.

We all suffer in many different ways. some of us have physical ailments that cripple us through life, others have addictions that haunt them daily and slowly destroy their minds and bodies. yet others suffer because they don't feel love. there are those with more money than they know what to do with but are yet unfulfilled because they have no guidance, no focus. You are not alone in your suffering. So, please quit feeling sorry for yourself and move on. Get a grip and do something that you are able to do.

As far as teh God comment, you are about as far from the truth as you could be. but since we are not supposed to discuss religious beliefs and such on the forums, suffice it to say, you have no idea what you are talking about.
two_heads_talking

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Sat 02.09.2008 4:06 pm

lol890 wrote:

Dude, I used to be the exact same way. Even up until a couple months ago, I completely hated myself. I couldn't see any good in me. I didn't see anything that people would like about me, so I just assumed they hated me.

It almost killed my relationship with someone would actually does care very much about me. I couldn't believe he cared about me because I didn't see anything in me to care about.

You gotta break out of that. You'll never truly be happy until you take a chance.

I think that's what life is. Taking a chance and believing in the good in people. Not being afraid to love people and accept that they love you. Only when you do that will you be happy.

It's risky as hell, but you gotta trust your friends. If you don't you really might as well not be in life. Go find your happiness! :D
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 02.09.2008 8:44 pm

Everyone giving him serious and sincere pep-talk answers......you do realize he's playing you, right? I'm not saying his problems aren't real. I'm saying that part of his "thing" is doing the poor-me-even-God-hates-me wah-wah-wah-wah whiny BS and then sitting back while folks stroke him with well-intentioned positive stuff. You're not going to do him any more good than the dozens or hundreds of people he has already played this on throughout his life. You're not helping; you're feeding his sickness.
Mike Cash

Next

Return to General off topic