Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japan's aging society and declining population

Japan's aging society and declining population

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Japan's aging society and declining population

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 02.09.2008 12:03 pm

no worries. here is an article about the "origin" of the word gung-ho.

http://www.chinapage.com/word/gungho.html
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby lol890 » Sat 02.09.2008 6:11 pm

So Japan will either be full of old people or be so full of foreigners that Japan will lose its culture? Guess that kills my dream.
lol890

Postby doinkies » Sat 02.09.2008 8:03 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Japan won't simply "die out". Even if the population continues to decline rapidly, it will open up a lot of jobs which will soon be filled by poorer neighboring countries with an excess of population (i.e. China and India [India isn't neighboring, but they are well off enough to afford the plane tickets]).

I can also see this happening. In fact, there was an article in the Japan Times last year that said that Chinese were the largest-growing nationality of registered foreigners (about 25%). http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 103f1.html

I don't know if this has changed since the article was written though.

Unlike lol, however, I don't think that increased immigration will cause Japan to lose its culture. And as wakannai said, just because the population's declining now doesn't mean that it'll decline to 0 and Japan will cease to exist, despite some of the more sensationalist reports. Same with the other countries with declining populations.

(and from the tone of lol's posts...I smell sockpuppet!)
Last edited by doinkies on Sat 02.09.2008 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Postby lol890 » Sat 02.09.2008 9:49 pm

I'm interested in Japan because it has a unique culture and identity. Soon Japan will be 5% foreigners, then 10%, 20%, 40%, 80%, until Japanese are few and far between at the least.
lol890

Postby NZJutsu » Sat 02.09.2008 9:54 pm

Somehow, I don't think that is going to happen in any of our lifetimes.
NZJutsu

Postby coco » Sat 02.09.2008 10:17 pm

lol890 wrote:
I'm interested in Japan because it has a unique culture and identity.

Is the amount of social interaction needed in Japanese culture any greater than that in the US? I need to know in case I end up visiting or living in Japan. I shun social interaction outside of my immediate family. I have no desire for friends, dating, or public places.

Could you please tell us what country measures up to your ideal?

-population
-population density
-the amount of social interaction
-average length of life
-industries
-DNP
-climate
-food self-sufficiency
-tax rate
-etc.

I don't feel sorry for myself. I just don't care. I don't care about anything. I don't have a future outside of scrubing toilets, and if I'm really lucky I'll get cancer and die a slow and painful death. With Japan on the brink of collapse there is no point in me going there for any reason whatsoever. As far as I'm concerned you all can all go straight to Hell. I despise all of you. You people like Japan now, but wait until it acheives third-world status.

Please do not confound your own problems with Japan's. You might want to solve your own problems instead of worrying about Japan's.
Last edited by coco on Sat 02.09.2008 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby lol890 » Sat 02.09.2008 11:42 pm

My idea country is one that isn't wiping itself off the face of the earth due to the fact that its citizens are too self-absorped to reproduce. Since my dream is destroyed why not lay in bed and wait to die? Even though the birthrate increased from 1.23 to 1.33 I still believe Japan and many other countries will crumble.
lol890

Postby NZJutsu » Sun 02.10.2008 12:21 am

Why is it destroyed? The Japanese race and Japan aren't going to be destroyed in the time that you're alive, so why are you worrying about it?
NZJutsu

Postby coco » Sun 02.10.2008 1:29 am

Conclusion:
For you, Japan isn't the country that is worth living in.

In case you don't remember, this conclusion is the same as your decision that was posted on August written by Duelley49, your another user name.

People who shun social interaction would not be able to remedy any social problems. If Japanese citizens shunned the social interaction like you, Japan would crumble as you said.

Anyway, you do NOT need to worry about various problems of Japan.
I hope you remember this for at least one year.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby gfunk » Sun 02.10.2008 1:29 am

Even though the birthrate increased from 1.23 to 1.33 I still believe Japan and many other countries will crumble.

So any statistic you read or anything people tell you won't matter... then why even ask questions? If you're making your own little sucky reality (which is very far away from ours) please keep it to yourself.

Hey mods, can't we just see the hammer the first time "Morgantown, West Virginia" shows up? How's anything good gonna come out of this thread?
gfunk

Postby keatonatron » Sun 02.10.2008 3:04 am

gfunk wrote:
How's anything good gonna come out of this thread?

Or out of Morgantown, West Virginia :D
keatonatron

Postby arbalest71 » Sun 02.10.2008 3:40 am

coco wrote:
Could you please tell us what country measures up to your ideal?

-population
-population density
-the amount of social interaction
-average length of life
-industries
-DNP
-climate
-food self-sufficiency
-tax rate
-etc.

Why choose exactly those things? I'd consider food self-sufficiency a defect, for instance. US tax rates are relatively low, but still way too high. And our climate runs the gamut. Anyway, I'd say that the US scores high on most points I care about (our broken criminal justice system aside). It supports my ridiculously luxurious lifestyle, so... Japan would score lower than the US for me, but still toward the top of my list. Somalia would be toward the bottom.

Sure, Japan is about the Japanese. If the Japanese stop having babies... well, as you say, that is Japan's business. I couldn't impregnate every fertile Japanese woman anyway, though I'd do my best if called on, so I'm not really in a position to criticise.

Still, I think Japanese guys are going to have to start having a bit of game at some point if the Japanese people are to survive.
--

I have it on good authority that I\'m a weirdo, doing weird science.
arbalest71

Postby lol890 » Sun 02.10.2008 10:51 am

What is a birth rate of 1.33 going to accomplish? Chances are this is temporary (according to most news sources) and Japan's birth rate will fall below 1.0 within my lifetime. Unlike you people I'm a realist. I see the horror and misery that will engulf the world.
lol890

Postby NocturnalOcean » Sun 02.10.2008 11:00 am

I think you should start to read up on some population history of the world, and stop pestering this forum with your ignorant and unpleasant attitude.
Last edited by NocturnalOcean on Sun 02.10.2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby richvh » Sun 02.10.2008 11:02 am

lol890, if you can't say anything positive, take your bile somewhere else. Last chance.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion