Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japan's aging society and declining population

Japan's aging society and declining population

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Japan's aging society and declining population

Postby lol890 » Sun 02.10.2008 11:07 am

What's wrong with what I say? I seriously believe the world will end within a few decades. What exactly is the history of the population of the world? Isn't severe decline a new thing?
lol890

Postby richvh » Sun 02.10.2008 11:24 am

Bye. For the record, world population is not in severe decline.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby AJBryant » Sun 02.10.2008 2:00 pm

Dammit, Rich, you beat me to it.

lol890, let me tell you something. I understand you have physical and emotional issues. I'm sorry for that. Truly. I wish *everyone* had no problems with health or anything else.

The thing is, you have them.

So you have a choice. You can overcome them, refuse to let them define you or beat you -- or you can be a loser and give in, letting your PROBLEMS define you as a person and overwhelm you, affecting all you do and all who interact with you.

One requires strength of character and guts. The other doesn't. One is a type of heroism. The other is just steps away from cowardice.

It's YOUR choice which path you choose -- but don't expect people to want your company if you choose the latter. Even though we may sympathize with your condition, we don't sympathize with your personality and choose to have nothing to do with you because of how YOU choose to respond.

Ciao.

Tony
Last edited by AJBryant on Sun 02.10.2008 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Jumpman » Sun 02.10.2008 3:59 pm

lol890 wrote:
I'm interested in Japan because it has a unique culture and identity. Soon Japan will be 5% foreigners, then 10%, 20%, 40%, 80%, until Japanese are few and far between at the least.

You have to understand that this "Gaijin invasion" can't happen within your lifetime.
And as mentioned before the biggest group of Gaijin in Japan are Asians . According to some the Japanese people are believed to have originated from Southeast Asians and Han Chinese.So if these Asians are coming to Japan and mixing with the Japanese how will the "Japanese race" become less and less when the "Japanese race" has genetic history that can be tracked to China and southeast Asia? And every country in the world's culture was created by people who migrated there. So new immigrants would enrich Japanese culture.

And your whole attitude about an " ideal country" and that "world will end with a couple of decades" is just arrogant.Now country in this world can be " ideal" or "perfect".And how you want to preserve Japanese culture and ethnic identity won't make gaijin problems better. And just guessing you are a Gaijin, so if japan remains xenophobic how would they accept you? If more Gaijins come to Japan then maybe they could accept or not freak out when they see you. And the world cannot end in "a couple of decades", maybe a 3rd-world nation but not Japan or the US.

And honestly the USA isn't that bad as you claim it is.

Well thats My two cents.
Need some money for Japanese learning material?
Check my blog for advice on how to get money with little to no effort.
Jumpman

RE: My story

Postby Ben_a_hunt » Thu 02.14.2008 4:43 am

Hey. I just finished reading this thread, and I actually read the last one when it all went down, and I'm well aware that he probably won't reply to this, but I thought I'd add a shortened version of my story.

When I was about 12 years old, I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Sociaphobia. I've always had a love of Japan, and wanted to come here to teach English and spend some years here. I dropped out of school when I was about 13, partially due to the Sociaphobia and OCD. I'm now 19 years old, and I'm in love, married and living in Japan. I used to have trouble answering the front door of my house without my heartbeating, hands shaking and sweat pouring out of my body. But now, I've overcome my problems.

I used to sit around feeling sorry for my self and acting pissy and "Emo" (Excuse the use of the word EMO, but I think it describes it perfectly). But to be honest, I got sick of it and wanted more from life. I'm so sick of people who have problems, and just sit around and wait for things to get better and complain, or just give up completely. Life gets better! Trust me.
Now, I live in Chiba, with an apartment with my wife (Who is a Japanese Citizen)

You make think it's all "cool" and "fun" to act like a complete moron and expect people to feel sorry for you with your "problems". But it isn't doing you or anyone around you any good. It's completely pointless and selfish.

So all these people who have social problems, or any problems. Everyone is sorry that you have them, truly. But you gotta do the right thing, and get off your arse and do something about it.

There are some words that have inspired me for years, and will continue to inspire me, and they are "Problems aren't an excuse for us to give up, they're a reason for us to try harder"

I didn't let my problems conquer me, don't let your's conquer you.

But to be honest!! All this talk is WAY too serious for a fun forum like this one ^^

All the best!!
-Ben Hunt

P.S. I'm sorry if this fueled the thread more, but I wanted to get my story out there and let people know that it's not as bad as they may think.
Last edited by Ben_a_hunt on Thu 02.14.2008 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Problems aren't an excuse for us to give up, they're a reason for us to try harder~
Ben_a_hunt

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 02.14.2008 8:10 am

Very inspirational post and admirable attitude, Ben.

I remember hearing a short piece on the radio once by journalist/commentator Mort Crim who said something like, "You can't choose what is going to happen to you every day, but you can choose what attitude you're going to meet it with."
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby I-samu » Fri 02.15.2008 10:16 pm

Before Japan made their country open to all immigration I think they would let more Korean and maybe Chinese people in first due to the fact that right now, they can enter Japan hassle free. Then make it easier for partial heritaged Japanese people from the states and South America to get in.
[][][][]
I-samu

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 02.16.2008 9:36 am

since the op is gone (banned) and this thread has no where else to go, it might be prudent to lock it up.
two_heads_talking

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion