Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese classes in the UK?

Japanese classes in the UK?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Japanese classes in the UK?

Postby Stitchface » Mon 02.11.2008 2:54 pm

I searched over google and used the forum search but only turned up one decent looking result for my question.
And so I am posting here.

My question, as you may have guessed from the title, is about Japanese courses/classes in the UK.

I have the motivation for self-study and have started out with learning Hiragana and Katakana, along with basic use of particles etc. and when i can i would like to order the Genki books (Since i am only a beginner)
But i really feel as though i would be better off with some sort of class in addition to my self-study. I live in the South East of the UK but most courses i have found are in London which is not easy for me to get too, infact the furthest i can go is Brighton, which turned up one result from here http://www.languagecoursesuk.co.uk/book/course.php?course_id=3436&length=70

I wanted to know if anybody has had any experiance with this evening course at all, and if anybody knows of, or could recommend places to learn Japanese in the UK?
I don't see any invisible walls.
Stitchface

RE: Japanese classes in the UK?

Postby katafei » Mon 02.11.2008 3:13 pm

I have no experience with this particular evening class, but I reckon it's more or less the same as the evening class I'm taking in Holland. Only ours is 25 times one and a half hour.
The price of Brighton is pretty steep (as well), but at least, all the material is included.
My personal experience with language classes like this is that the pace is usually pretty slow. And more than half the people drop out after 3 classes, about when you get up to numbers and time and so on ^_^
10 classes doesn't sound like an awful lot to me.
On the other hand, studying with a group of people is fun.....
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby Stitchface » Mon 02.11.2008 3:26 pm

I also didn't think that 10 classes sounded like alot, but if by the end of my search this class is my only option, then i will take it :D

I did notice though, that they only have beginner classes, whether this is because the more advanced classes have been booked already or whether they just don't do then i am not sure.

katafei wrote:
And more than half the people drop out after 3 classes, about when you get up to numbers and time and so on ^_^

I must admit this made me smile a little :)
Simply because on my own i have memorized numbers, and basic time telling. (Although i can't pronounce them perfectly yet, which would be another reason to take the class)

katafei wrote:On the other hand, studying with a group of people is fun.....

This would be another reason to take the class, despite the price being kind of steep.

Well, thankyou for your reply, as i said above, if by the end of my search this is still the only course i can get to then i will take it (Having a teacher is better than having none at all right? :) )
Stitchface

Postby pubju » Mon 02.11.2008 6:32 pm

you could go and do a degree in japanese, i know Japanese is a very popular course in the uk
pubju

Postby Stitchface » Tue 02.12.2008 8:00 am

Well, i looked into courses at the University of brighton, but unfortunatly it looks as though they have already started, and there is a possibility that i will be doing an apprenticeship in web development soon so it may conflict with that anyway.

Well, i guess i'll just have to wait and see what happens in the coming weeks, thankyou both for your replies :)
Stitchface

Postby chchan45 » Tue 02.12.2008 10:47 am

I did notice though, that they only have beginner classes, whether this is because the more advanced classes have been booked already or whether they just don't do then i am not sure.

Of course you know the answer. People drop out of courses after they start, and if the number of applicants fall below a certain threshold, the course will not be held.

I know Japanese is a very popular course in the uk

Judging from the fact that there were only just over 100 JLPT level 1 takers in London last December (at least one of whom does not study Japanese in university), I think not.
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

Return to Japanese General Discussion