Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A thank you to Mr. Cash and everyone

A thank you to Mr. Cash and everyone

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: A thank you to Mr. Cash and everyone

Postby Simon86 » Tue 02.12.2008 6:15 pm

I know mate... I'm thankful too. I was talking about the reason you started the thread. I thought it was strange this thread began soon after Mike had been getting complaints for his responses. Maybe it could have been a lesson for Mike, or maybe TJP people just want to show their appreciation, or maybe both, or neither, or maybe theres not enough room in this world for Mike and appreciation and complaints... What the **** am I talking about...???

Honestly, I am thankful for Mikes input, even though I think he can be an ass sometimes. Although we can all be one from time to time, it's too fun.
Last edited by Simon86 on Tue 02.12.2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon86

Postby OitaFish » Tue 02.12.2008 6:58 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
This may have been the part that people thought would be offensive:
What 3-4 languages are you fluent in?

I've encountered just oodles and oodles of high school kids who have the intent to become fluent/proficient in Japanese by the time they graduate. There seems to be a shortage of those who have anything resembling a plan for actually doing so, however. What's yours?

If you interpret these questions as sarcastic and rhetorical, it can look like you're basically saying "Give up, you'll never do it." The use of sarcasm has risen so much lately (I think) that it's hard to use challenging questions of this sort without people interpreting them as sarcastic, especially on the Internet.

Combine that with the idea some people have that anyone expressing a dream or goal should be encouraged, and not challenged or questioned in any way, and I suppose somebody could take the previous part as offensive.

I think this is exactly it. It is very difficult to interpret intent out of a forum post and that part of the post could be interpreted in a bad way -- especially to new posters that haven't read any of Cash's posts before. This difficulty in interpreting intent are what smilies were invented for.

The worst part is, if the OP had read that wrong and taken offense to it, he might not have made it down to the good solid advice Cash had for him.
OitaFish

Postby tanuki » Tue 02.12.2008 7:02 pm

Simon86 wrote:
I thought it was strange this thread began soon after Mike had been getting complaints for his responses.

Soon after? You don't hang around here much, do you? ;)

Simon86 wrote:
What the **** am I talking about...???

No comments. :)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Dehitay » Tue 02.12.2008 7:24 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
I do have to wonder why, sometimes. After all, there was nothing in either tone or content in my post to the young man asking about translating/interpreting which could possibly give offense. Certainly there was nothing there that any rational person could construe as "crapping" on him. And, as best I can tell, he himself didn't find it offensive. I don't mind when people I've ticked off take exception to it themselves, but I can't understand the mindset of someone whose life slogan seems to be, "I take offense so you don't have to".

Actually, I think you worded yourself pretty decently there. The fact that Salza600 didn't really seem to take offense to what you said makes me think so even more. It was Sara who made the comment about you crapping on ideas. She probly took your reputation into context with your post and found it more negative than the OP who was reading a post by you for the first time.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 02.13.2008 8:40 am

I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts on this.

The only thing I would wish to re-emphasize here and to ask that people keep in mind when reading my posts is that the lack of smilies and verbal hugs does not equal the presence of malice.

What I write in a neutral tone seems all too often to be read with an assumption of a mean/spiteful/sadistic/sarcastic/malicious/snotty tone. That's a mistake. And the longer one of my posts is, the more assuredly you can assume it was written in a neutral tone. When I have it in my mind to zing somebody, I like to do it via one-liners. There's more art to it. Anybody can be a snotty b*stard if they type enough. Where's the fun in that?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Xurma » Wed 02.13.2008 9:25 am

Mike Cash wrote:
What I write in a neutral tone seems all too often to be read with an assumption of a mean/spiteful/sadistic/sarcastic/malicious/snotty tone.

1 word: true.

Nice, 2222 posts. :)
Xurma

Postby kitamichibi » Wed 02.13.2008 10:50 am

O.O my goodness, all this.....
Regardless, Mike-san ga suki desu. I really appreciate his insights on things. Also, I've never really read posts with any tone or whatever. They're all just neutral. So I'd like to say arigatou to him.

Oh, and Mike-san? I'm definitely sure you're not
a bitter "don't end up like me, or I'll beat you with a stick" grumpy old man.

:D :D
私は弱虫です[わたしはよわむしです]
kitamichibi

Postby shades_of_ben » Wed 02.13.2008 4:32 pm

I'm an optimist, through and through. But to give someone false hope is a greater crime, in my opinion, than possibly offending him or her. I respect a man who is not afraid to step on toes in the pursuit of honesty, like Mr. Cash. I have to confess that I sometimes say nice things that aren't completely honest in order to avoid offending somebody. I only hope that I become more like Mr. Cash in the future. Such honesty as his is a far more admirable virtue than any amount of "niceness." From what I have seen, honesty is an uncommon thing in this day and age. And as far as I can tell, Mr. Cash's honesty stems from a desire to guide and instruct. He has been extraordinarily helpful.

I feel I must make note of another observation. Many people I've encountered read into things far to much, and always seem to look for some excuse to get worked up. I'm sorry, but such thin-skinned people really should try to grow up and show a little spine. Instead of going out of your way to take offense, you should go out of your way to let it go. And if someone really is being a jackass and is truly trying to upset you, just forgive him or her. I've learned that it's so much easier in the long run.

Another note. I must agree with the witty Mr. Cash that a snappy one-liner is a far more skillful and artistic thing than a long-winded chewing-out.

My, my. It appears I have waxed eloquent and long-winded. Forgive me.

To wrap things up, I have found the good Mr. Cash to be helpful, funny, witty, and wise. Your input has been a blessing to us all, and I tip my hat to you, good sir.
shades_of_ben

Postby Simon86 » Wed 02.13.2008 5:51 pm

shades_of_ben wrote:
I'm an optimist, through and through. But to give someone false hope is a greater crime, in my opinion, than possibly offending him or her. I respect a man who is not afraid to step on toes in the pursuit of honesty, like Mr. Cash. I have to confess that I sometimes say nice things that aren't completely honest in order to avoid offending somebody. I only hope that I become more like Mr. Cash in the future. Such honesty as his is a far more admirable virtue than any amount of "niceness." From what I have seen, honesty is an uncommon thing in this day and age. And as far as I can tell, Mr. Cash's honesty stems from a desire to guide and instruct. He has been extraordinarily helpful.

I feel I must make note of another observation. Many people I've encountered read into things far to much, and always seem to look for some excuse to get worked up. I'm sorry, but such thin-skinned people really should try to grow up and show a little spine. Instead of going out of your way to take offense, you should go out of your way to let it go. And if someone really is being a jackass and is truly trying to upset you, just forgive him or her. I've learned that it's so much easier in the long run.

Another note. I must agree with the witty Mr. Cash that a snappy one-liner is a far more skillful and artistic thing than a long-winded chewing-out.

My, my. It appears I have waxed eloquent and long-winded. Forgive me.

To wrap things up, I have found the good Mr. Cash to be helpful, funny, witty, and wise. Your input has been a blessing to us all, and I tip my hat to you, good sir.

lol...
Simon86

Postby shades_of_ben » Wed 02.13.2008 6:00 pm

yes, i admit i'm off the wall a bit, but what's so funny? i'm just curious is all. :p
shades_of_ben

Postby Simon86 » Wed 02.13.2008 6:04 pm

I like how you talk really polite like my county's Queen :D

Sorry mate, I need to learn to elaborate more...

I realised now the "lol" seemed offensive. I don't hang around here much, or any internet forum, so I have funny ways of expressing myself with internet slang. Sorry again ;) You're cool man, stay that way.

(Edited twice because I'm a silly willy that can't spell)
Last edited by Simon86 on Wed 02.13.2008 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon86

Postby shades_of_ben » Wed 02.13.2008 6:08 pm

no its ok. i enjoy sounding funny. though if i talk that way when expressing gratitude it means i really mean it. like i said, it's cool.
shades_of_ben

Postby shades_of_ben » Wed 02.13.2008 6:25 pm

again, it wasn't offensive. i understand what you meant, i was just wondering which part it was that amused you, because i like to amuse people. truly, i interpreted the laugh as a compliment.

my, we seem to have drifted off topic again, haven't we. *chuckle*
shades_of_ben

Postby coco » Wed 02.13.2008 8:06 pm

I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts on this.Image

The only thing I would wish to re-emphasize here and to ask that people keep in mind when reading my posts is that the lack of smilies and verbal hugs does not equal the presence of malice.Image

What I write in a neutral tone seems all too often to be read with an assumption of a mean/spiteful/sadistic/sarcastic/malicious/snotty tone. That's a mistake. Image And the longer one of my posts is, the more assuredly you can assume it was written in a neutral tone. When I have it in my mind to zing somebody, I like to do it via one-liners. There's more art to it.Image Anybody can be a snotty b*stard if they type enough. Where's the fun in that?Image

Our Military Uncle doesn't need smilies!
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby shades_of_ben » Wed 02.13.2008 8:10 pm

amen to that, coco
shades_of_ben

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic