Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A thank you to Mr. Cash and everyone

A thank you to Mr. Cash and everyone

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: A thank you to Mr. Cash and everyone

Postby SirFirestorm » Wed 02.13.2008 8:51 pm

Mike Cash is as old salt as I've ever seen, if you ask for advice you get a good answer. If he takes the time to write a long response for you I don't see any reason to get greedy and ask for smilies too. A boot in the ass is just what some people need, maybe one day you'll even start to appreciate it.

Thanks Mike Cash.
SirFirestorm

Postby Tspoonami » Wed 02.13.2008 9:33 pm

I have to thank Mike for helping me not be an idiot in Axis and Allies, though it's hard sometimes.

Also, I think this thread deserves a nice, hearty: Thanks, Rich!
Last edited by Tspoonami on Wed 02.13.2008 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby ss » Thu 02.14.2008 3:31 am

ここさん、you're my 天使。 Image :D :D

Last edited by ss on Thu 02.14.2008 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby burstandbloom » Thu 02.14.2008 4:33 am

I don't know who that guy is in his avatar, so I actually just imagine that as being him. (although I know its not) It just puts in the right context for me, a guy that looks like that is gonna tell it to you how it is: smooth, classy, and straight forward....old school like.
So here's another "Thanks Mr. Cash" from me.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 02.14.2008 8:19 am

The guy in the avatar is an American character actor from long ago, Mike Mazurki. He appeared in around 130 movies, with a career spanning the period from 1934 until his death in 1990.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby burstandbloom » Thu 02.14.2008 11:10 am

Well now you ruined it!
I'm only kidding of course. I'll have to look that up, thanks.
Last edited by burstandbloom on Thu 02.14.2008 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
burstandbloom

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 02.14.2008 1:32 pm

burstandbloom wrote:
I don't know who that guy is in his avatar, so I actually just imagine that as being him. (although I know its not) It just puts in the right context for me, a guy that looks like that is gonna tell it to you how it is: smooth, classy, and straight forward....old school like.

If my memory serves me well, I believe that Mike Cash posted up a picture of himself once upon a time. He looks nothing like his avatar.
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 02.14.2008 1:39 pm

And I speak nothing like Ronald Colman, although he would be my voice avatar if there were such things.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Kagemaru » Thu 02.14.2008 2:05 pm

I only grow tired of the continual can of whoop ass dished out each round by your clever use of heavy bombers.

That is as much basking in your glory as I can muster momentarily.....
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 02.14.2008 2:34 pm

One can hold solice in the fact that Mike musters out a can of whoop ass at a time, rather than busting out a whole keg's worth of whoop ass. that would be a definate positive.
two_heads_talking

Postby Chris Hart » Thu 02.14.2008 3:36 pm

burstandbloom wrote:

Most people around here are recognized by their avitar. If you really wonder how members look there was a pics thread that members their real pictures in. Several of the regulars have pictures in that thread.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby AJBryant » Thu 02.14.2008 5:05 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
The guy in the avatar is an American character actor from long ago, Mike Mazurki. He appeared in around 130 movies, with a career spanning the period from 1934 until his death in 1990.

Ever have days when you feel your avatar should be Rod Serling?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby burstandbloom » Fri 02.15.2008 12:29 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
burstandbloom wrote:

If my memory serves me well, I believe that Mike Cash posted up a picture of himself once upon a time. He looks nothing like his avatar.

I know what he looks like, and have. I actually don't believe its in that thread anymore by the way.
However, what I was trying to get at is, seeing how I see the avatar when reading his posts more than I do his real picture, I've always made the connection with his avatar as being what I'd imagine him as better.

Wow....doesn't this seem a little weird to you Mike? A whole thread of people talking about just you.
Not that its a bad thing or anything.
burstandbloom

Postby saraLynne » Fri 02.15.2008 1:36 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
some people have that anyone expressing a dream or goal should be encouraged, and not challenged or questioned in any way

Ack, I haven't visited this thread in a few days. Just wanted to comment on this bit.

That takes the extreme the other way. I'm not against tempering dreams with doses of reality. I just don't think anyone has the right to tell someone they can't or shouldn't do [insert dream here] at all.

Therefore, had Mike actually meant what I thought he did, then he would have deserved what I said. I'm more a fan of empowerment (for lack of a better term). Pointing in a general direction and say 'try pushing that way'. Note: I think pointing at college is like pointing at the horizon and saying "Where you want to be is somewhere along that line." Hence the source of my frustration (and my misunderstanding of Mike's post).

People so often chant the "Go to college" mantra without any supporting advice. The school advisers can only take you so far. They have numbers and statistics at their disposal, but you need contacts in your intended field to give you the real story and any tips that will help you be better prepared.

I don't think that wanting such things has anything to do with coating the difficulty or reality of a situation in sugar, but with enabling someone to get started on the right foot.
saraLynne

Postby shades_of_ben » Fri 02.15.2008 2:11 am

heh heh. i see more arguments in this thread's future. should be entertaining lol
shades_of_ben

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic