Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A thank you to Mr. Cash and everyone

A thank you to Mr. Cash and everyone

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: A thank you to Mr. Cash and everyone

Postby saraLynne » Fri 02.15.2008 2:14 am

What's to argue? I just don't want people to think I'm all about blowing smoke up peoples' behinds. :)
saraLynne

Postby OitaFish » Fri 02.15.2008 2:28 am

saraLynne wrote:
I'm more a fan of empowerment

Tell someone where they can get a fishing pole rather than tell them they can't catch fish. Image
OitaFish

Postby shades_of_ben » Fri 02.15.2008 3:08 am

i'm not saying you're wrong. i was observing that people tend to argue alot. and in this particular thread, people argued with you in the past, so i predicted that the trend might continue. it was nothing for or against you or your statements.

regardless of whether i agree with you or not, your opinion is just as valid as mine.

i believe it was Voltaire who said, "i may hate everything you say, but i will defend to the death your right to say it."

for the record, however, and to continue with the fish metaphor, if there are no fish in the pond, i'm gonna tell you so. and i believe that would be Mike's take on things, rather than outright negativism. though i would not presume to speak for Mike, seeing as how i don't have the honor of knowing him.
shades_of_ben

Postby OitaFish » Fri 02.15.2008 3:23 am

shades_of_ben wrote:
if there are no fish in the pond, i'm gonna tell you so.

The problem is (and I'm not talking about anyone on this forum -- I haven't been around here long enough) too many people will say there are no fish in the pond when they don't really know it. Just because you have not caught one, doesn't mean there aren't any in there.
OitaFish

Postby saraLynne » Fri 02.15.2008 5:17 am

if there are no fish in the pond, i'm gonna tell you so.

You could add: 'But, there's a great fishin' hole 2 hrs away from here.'

It's up to me whether I wanna drive 2 hrs to fish. :P
Last edited by saraLynne on Fri 02.15.2008 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
saraLynne

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 02.15.2008 7:44 am

The primary reason I point people wishing to come to make their future in Japan in the general direction of college has solely to do with establishing visa eligibility. When it comes to what they should study while there, the only advice I give is that they should study something that will serve them well whether they end up living in Japan or in their home (or some other) country. I have no way of knowing what that could be, as it quite naturally depends on the individual. Along the path into and through college there are people on the scene who are far better positioned and qualified than am I to give them specific guidance. So in a sense, I am pointing out the well-stocked fishing hole.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Re: A thank you to Mr. Cash and everyone

Postby coco » Fri 05.02.2008 8:41 pm

Theshredda-san,
You should have read this thread before necroposting on that thread.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Re: RE: A thank you to Mr. Cash and everyone

Postby furrykef » Wed 07.09.2008 6:24 pm

burstandbloom wrote:I don't know who that guy is in his avatar, so I actually just imagine that as being him. (although I know its not) It just puts in the right context for me, a guy that looks like that is gonna tell it to you how it is: smooth, classy, and straight forward....old school like.

Heh, I've always felt exactly the same way. I imagine that's why he chose that avatar... it fits his personality perfectly in this indescribable way.

Mike Cash wrote:The guy in the avatar is an American character actor from long ago, Mike Mazurki. He appeared in around 130 movies, with a career spanning the period from 1934 until his death in 1990.

Hmm. It always looked like Humphrey Bogart to me (I imagine I'm not the first to say this), but that's probably because I'm more familiar with Bogart as a character stereotype than an actual person. (I'm only 24 years old, y'know. ;))

Anyway, I have to give props to Mike Cash too. I can always appreciate somebody with a "cut through the BS" personality, and somebody who's been there and done that.

I also have to give props to Yudan Taiteki, even though it seems we disagree in one way or another almost every time we post in the same thread. It keeps me on my toes -- and my head on my shoulders.

(EDIT: Wow, I didn't realize how old the preceding post was. I figured since it was still on the first page, it can't be that old. Hope nobody minds the bump.)

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Previous

Return to General off topic